Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2012, 06:42 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,222,840 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clintone View Post
I think a more relevant question is: When does sentience start?
Around 30 in my case...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2012, 06:48 AM

3,448 posts, read 3,136,161 times
Its illogical because there is no unity event until conception. That should do this thread.

Old 09-25-2012, 06:49 AM

9,130 posts, read 20,040,593 times
An egg, or sperm contain the building blocks for biological human life, but that does not make them a human being. Both are needed, together, for that.

Old 09-25-2012, 06:54 AM

24,130 posts, read 32,547,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
Human life exists before conception because the sperm and egg cells are living humans.

This is how sexual reproduction works. The cells in our bodies have 23 pairs of chromosomes. These cells are called diploid.

Our diploid bodies create single-cell creatures (egg or sperm) with only 23 chromosomes. These cells are called haploid. Two haploids combine to form a new diploid, and the cycle continues.

Both diploids and haploids are necessary for our species to survive, so I think they all deserve to be called human. Since both egg and sperm cells are living humans, human life therefore exists before conception.

So my question is: Does anyone agree with me?
No. I don't. Then by your reasoning every month when a woman menstruates or any time a man ejaculates there should be a funeral.

Old 09-25-2012, 06:54 AM

3,448 posts, read 3,136,161 times
Some kind of mysterious being may exist prior but as far as a point in joining this existence theres just no way the unity at conception can stand aside to any other event in the process. Perfect allegiance with all that is known by consequence in result of contrast, unity. I don't know how much more plain anything couild be. Whats there to argue with, nothing.

Old 09-25-2012, 10:22 AM

15,706 posts, read 11,791,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
Human life exists before conception because the sperm and egg cells are living humans.

This is how sexual reproduction works. The cells in our bodies have 23 pairs of chromosomes. These cells are called diploid.

Our diploid bodies create single-cell creatures (egg or sperm) with only 23 chromosomes. These cells are called haploid. Two haploids combine to form a new diploid, and the cycle continues.

Both diploids and haploids are necessary for our species to survive, so I think they all deserve to be called human. Since both egg and sperm cells are living humans, human life therefore exists before conception.

So my question is: Does anyone agree with me?
Nope, by your logic, every time a woman has a period or a man ejaculates, hundreds of millions of humans are destroyed. Absolutely absurd to believe that.

Old 09-25-2012, 10:28 AM

4,612 posts, read 4,902,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Nope, by your logic, every time a woman has a period or a man ejaculates, hundreds of millions of humans are destroyed. Absolutely absurd to believe that.
That's true. Every time a man ejaculates many, many humans are destroyed.

So what? That's how our species and many others survive.

Old 09-25-2012, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
No. Your completely neglecting the soul that is an integral part of the process. It doesn't become "living" until the sperm reaches the egg and unites and fertilizes. At that moment, God puts a spirit into it. Then it officially becomes a "life".
Remember, a lot of us do not believe in any gods and we do not have a soul.

Old 09-25-2012, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliet Bravo View Post
While I'm sure there are some definitions of "life" that do apply before hand, I think it's largely irrelevant until it can be sustained outside of the parent.
When I ejaculate, my sperm cells are able to sustain their lives for as long as they need to accomplish the task our human species asks of them.

That's why I think my sperm cells deserve the right to be called "human". With two children and four grand-children, I am proud of what my sperm cells have helped to accomplish.

Old 09-25-2012, 10:49 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,078,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
An egg, or sperm contain the building blocks for biological human life, but that does not make them a human being. Both are needed, together, for that.
Can a sperm be identified in a laboratory as Human? If it can, then it has all the necessary characteristics of human-ness before a union with an ovum, and must ethically be protected as a human.

There is an argument that a Sperm might the master life form, and has evolved a highly elaborate ancillary shell ("the human body") to assure the successful survival of its kind. Which works in the best interests of the survival of the sperm only if that ancillary body is incapable of enough rational and logical thought to understand who the real master is, and override the master's interests. Full human shells (you and I) are merely slaves to the sperm's concerns, and designed through evolution to have an irresistible inclination to keep up the sperm life cycle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality