Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2007, 09:34 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,186,782 times

Advertisements

A few months ago a terrible thing happened in our community. I'd like for your thoughts on it.

We have a large non-denominational church that has a wonderful influence. It has a very active youth program that stands as a model for others.

A few months ago, the Youth Minister straggled his young wife to death, put her body in the car and drove quite a distance to bury her body in the woods. Then, he came back and continued his life as usual. Took care of his kids, ran the youth programs, etc, without any apparant trouble. Told his wife's friends that she had gone to visit relatives. After a few weeks, people got to worrying about her. She had not said anything about going out of town, and it wasn't like her to just up and leave the children.

The police were called in and the body was recovered. At present, there has not been much in the papers about the situation.

Now, what I want us to think is this. We can certainly understand killing someone in a fit of anger, even hiding the body out of shame and fear. BUT, continuing to carry on "God's Work" just like nothing had happened is beyond my comprehension. Was his role in the church that important? Was this man truly called to serve God? How do things like this happen?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2007, 09:44 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,512,386 times
He may have been called to serve God at the beginning, we will never know, but somewhere along the line something very evil took over him..It is a very, very sick person who can murder someone and go on like nothing is wrong

Old 10-09-2007, 09:47 AM

3,434 posts, read 9,745,612 times
well..imho..some folks who are employed by the church sometimes forget who their actual employer is (GOD) and view their job as a secular day to day job..was this man truly called to serve God?? probably..David in the Bible also got a woman pregnant who was married..then tried to cover it up, then had her husband killed in battle..and he was called a "man after Gods own heart"...does that make it right NO NO and NO...I agree with blue...sick sick and very sick..somewhere along the way..he headed down a path that didnt need to be taken.

Old 10-09-2007, 09:55 AM

1,439 posts, read 3,884,865 times
Padgett2, I am so sorry your chuch family is going through this. I can't imagine how confusing and upsetting this is for the youth. When I was in middle school we had a choir director who we all LOVED. We traveled all over the country with him. I found out years later he had had inappropriate contact with a young choir member. My heart still aches over this. I loved this man. He was a huge part of my childhood. It is still hard for me to imagine he would do such a thing. I am in NO WAY comparing that to a murder, just as someone who had trusted this man with my spiritual life...I still feel saddend by this. I pray for your church and especially for the youth group.

Old 10-09-2007, 10:37 AM

7,997 posts, read 12,276,700 times
And June carries his children in her heart, as well...

They lost a mother.

Take gentle care.

Old 10-09-2007, 10:41 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,186,782 times
Oh, it wasn't my church. But the church was large enough that I think it's influence covered just about every one in the city in one way or another.

One can't help but wonder what this will do to the future of this church and it's programs. I feel that there will be a set back, but the people will overcome, and maybe even be stronger for it.

Old 10-09-2007, 08:38 PM

1,022 posts, read 3,371,358 times
This proves that even youth leaders are human and every human SINS. Not that it makes it easier on anyone who attends that church, or the kids that are effected by this.

Old 10-09-2007, 10:50 PM

8,568 posts, read 16,235,190 times
This proves ones again that you are what you do.
Not what you believe or who you want to be.

Old 10-12-2007, 04:22 PM

259 posts, read 1,182,168 times
Sounds like that man was "ministering" on auto-pilot, probably had been for quite some time.

Old 10-12-2007, 07:38 PM

5,493 posts, read 7,341,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
A few months ago a terrible thing happened in our community. I'd like for your thoughts on it.

We have a large non-denominational church that has a wonderful influence. It has a very active youth program that stands as a model for others.

A few months ago, the Youth Minister straggled his young wife to death, put her body in the car and drove quite a distance to bury her body in the woods. Then, he came back and continued his life as usual. Took care of his kids, ran the youth programs, etc, without any apparant trouble. Told his wife's friends that she had gone to visit relatives. After a few weeks, people got to worrying about her. She had not said anything about going out of town, and it wasn't like her to just up and leave the children.

The police were called in and the body was recovered. At present, there has not been much in the papers about the situation.

Now, what I want us to think is this. We can certainly understand killing someone in a fit of anger, even hiding the body out of shame and fear. BUT, continuing to carry on "God's Work" just like nothing had happened is beyond my comprehension. Was his role in the church that important? Was this man truly called to serve God? How do things like this happen?
Called to do "GOD's work"? Carring in "God's work"?
Did it bear good fruit? At what cost?
Tough questions! Maybe there will never be any answers that satisfy.

How could this happen? I think in time, that question can be answered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality