Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2012, 07:35 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,618,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Just out of curiosity, isn't religion a personal matter, a relationship between a deity and their adherent and beyond the judgement of others?
lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2012, 07:36 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,618,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
So they're a nominative Christian...or "name only". Who gets to define the term "Christian"? Shouldn't it be those that actually practice the religion?
Nobody actually practices their religion. Do you mean attend a church every week listening to lectures about God and how they SHOULD practice their religion?

Old 11-11-2012, 07:50 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,400,927 times
He is some garden-variety Protestant, in a congregation largely, if not completely, populated by African-Americans with one of those loud, somewhat angry, pastors, at least back in his Chicago days. I never lost an ounce of sleep over this. It's sad that so many paranoid Americans have, though.

It was probably one of those churches that Aunt Esther from "Sanford and Son" attended. She loved to preach and she would have been perfect on the pulpit, had she been more convincing and less unstable. That show would NOT have been what it was without LaWanda Page, who played Aunt Esther and left us from diabetes complications.

Aunt Esther - YouTube

Old 11-11-2012, 08:41 PM

2,866 posts, read 5,248,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
Lol, all presidential candidates are Christian. If not they couldn't run. It's part of the bag to say you are Christian. If you are into politics you study and start going to a church so you can get elected. Who knows what religion if any a president we've had in the past 25 years is. I'm sure they weren't all really Christian but they are smart and do know the drill.

Looking forward to the day this doesn't matter but for now that's the deal. I think Obama is Christian like most of the country is Christian. He is sort of Christian. The other half is nothing in particular.
Who/what do you mean by "the other half"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
He is some garden-variety Protestant, in a congregation largely, if not completely, populated by African-Americans with one of those loud, somewhat angry, pastors, at least back in his Chicago days. I never lost an ounce of sleep over this. It's sad that so many paranoid Americans have, though.
Republicans will grasp at anything to pin the "angry black man" stereotype on Obama, that's why.

Old 11-14-2012, 01:20 AM

7,077 posts, read 12,362,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by it_serpent View Post
Do you think he's a Christian who follows the Bible?
Maybe this video will answer your question...

Obama on the Bible - YouTube

Quote:
Originally Posted by it_serpent View Post
Do you think he's a closet atheist, who publicly affiliates as a christian for political purposes? Something else?
As an Atheist myself, I really kinda don't care one way or the other. To answer your question though (since he's already been re-elected), YES, I think he is putting on a front because America isn't ready for an openly Atheist president quite yet.

Old 11-14-2012, 01:33 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,222,840 times
Narcissist.

Old 11-15-2012, 12:26 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,575,553 times
He's a clever guy. He's agnostic. He knows you can't actually know.

Old 11-15-2012, 01:20 PM

9,616 posts, read 12,929,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
I am more concerned about what a politician does, or plans to do, than to which mythology, if any, he subscribes.

A good Christian president is preferable to a bad atheist president and vice versa.
Ahhhh... but what about the prospects for a GOOD atheist POTUS.

Old 11-15-2012, 01:39 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,400,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Narcissist.
We need to let go of this. Some Dr. Phil-alike made this observation somewhere along the way and people have latched onto it as if it were a lifeboat on the "Titanic."

Old 11-15-2012, 08:34 PM

601 posts, read 461,028 times
If he decides to run for Pope, then I'll care about his religion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality