Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2012, 02:36 PM

278 posts, read 307,807 times

Advertisements

As an agnostic, I would gladly give up my non-belief status if incontrovertible evidence could be found to support a deity. What a breakthrough that would be for mankind! What a warm and fuzzy feeling it would be for us all to know, among other things, we are going to see lost loved ones again! The point is, I, and many like me, are open-minded about the subject.
So, I ask you the believer. What would it take to change your mind? I am not trying to proselytize nor troll here. I am interested in:
a) Have you ever considered what a godless universe would be like? How would it be different than the one we already live in?
b) Can you think of one thing, that, if were true, would usurp your belief system? i.e. falsifiabilty

Thanks for any answers. I'm interested in your thoughts.

Last edited by SteelDragon; 11-17-2012 at 03:49 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2012, 02:54 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,198,967 times
If you could find a tomb and the bones of Jesus I would give up Christianity in a second.

Old 11-17-2012, 03:14 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,550,968 times
My problem is this: I have experienced the power of God many times. Even on a daily basis. So to become an agonostic would be next to impossible. Even if the bones of Jesus were found, I would not become an atheist. I would switch back to Judaism.

There is a huge difference between being a non-theist and a non-Christian. God won't leave me alone.

Old 11-17-2012, 03:40 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,198,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
My problem is this: I have experienced the power of God many times. Even on a daily basis. So to become an agonostic would be next to impossible. Even if the bones of Jesus were found, I would not become an atheist. I would switch back to Judaism.

There is a huge difference between being a non-theist and a non-Christian. God won't leave me alone.
Agreed. I'd have to reconsider who God is...but I'm not sure I'd say God doesn't exist. I don't know how else to explain the existence of the universe.

Old 11-17-2012, 03:57 PM

278 posts, read 307,807 times
Quote:

I have literally never been 'bothered' by god. I wish I had! He has completely left me alone, even when I have, you know, called him on his wireless!
Why do you think he has touched you but not others (throughout time)? Are you somehow favored? Furthermore, how do you know you are not deluding yourself?

Old 11-17-2012, 04:06 PM

9,690 posts, read 10,023,019 times
The only way I could lose my religion , which Lord Jesus , through the evidence of Holy Spirit , is for Jesus Christ to identify Himself in the Spirit and tell me to change , and to believe in a different way....... Like He did with the Jewish Religion He told them to change ..... And if you believe this; Jesus will come one day and absorb His whole Church into one Church , and people will have to obey , as the world will come and try to control the church with it harmful laws and rules ....So like it or not but the division in the church will come to an end, and Jesus Church will be one , so if those who deny Jesus work could be out of power from Heaven......

Old 11-17-2012, 04:21 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,085,116 times
I spent the first 25 years as a Catholic. I left Catholicism in the 1960s as a result of the changes that took place at that time. I could not consider a religion to be true if it was able to change the rules.

I then spent 20 years in a Fundamentalist Denomination. The more I studied and preached the Bible the more I became convinced the Bible was not the Word of God. I lost all belief in God and spent the next 20 years as an atheist.

I left Atheism because of a personal event that convinced me God(swt) existed and the Qur'an was the true word of God(swt)

Old 11-17-2012, 04:28 PM

2,074 posts, read 2,163,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelDragon View Post
As an agnostic, I would gladly give up my non-belief status if incontrovertible evidence could be found to support a deity. What a breakthrough that would be for mankind! What a warm and fuzzy feeling it would be for us all to know, among other things, we are going to see lost loved ones again! The point is, I, and many like me, are open-minded about the subject.
So, I ask you the believer. What would it take to change your mind? I am not trying to proselytize nor troll here. I am interested in:
a) Have you ever considered what a godless universe would be like? How would it be different than the one we already live in?
b) Can you think of one thing, that, if were true, would usurp your belief system? i.e. falsifiabilty

Thanks for any answers. I'm interested in your thoughts.
Nothing will ever change my mind about my beliefs, because they are more than a "belief"... they are what is in my soul and will never be removed... only increased as I receive more of God's Divine Love.

As to a Godless universe... isn't that half of the world now and look how great that's going for us.

In response to (b) nope.

P.S. My belief is beyond the Bible.

Old 11-17-2012, 04:33 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,542,455 times
Quote:

As a Pagan I have experienced things that could only be Pagan, so who is right? Is there more then one God is one in the same?

With that said I would have to see something of another religion some that didn't didn't require faith I think faith can blind us. No matter what faith your talking about.

Old 11-17-2012, 04:39 PM

6,351 posts, read 9,981,108 times
What will it take for me to give up my religion? Simple: If it no longer worked for me and I found a different paradigm, I would abandon it.

But it does work so I follow it. I need no facts for my beliefs because I am not a positivist and hence I don't let facts dictate my life, but rather my own will does so.

If my will changed to not being religious, that would change me. But that would be a choice I WOULD MAKE and I would not let any outside force, like so called "facts" make me change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality