Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2012, 07:05 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,497,989 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
Just my two cents but I don't think those Westboro people are playing with a full deck.
I'm pretty sure most people would agree with that!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2012, 11:56 AM

476 posts, read 466,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
Simply quoting Dobson is indeed not evidence of "most churches", however, he is considered in the mainstream of Christianity, and indicative of how many Christians believe the "wrath of God" is being felt on earth, including hurricanes, tsunamis, famine, and war. Westboro only takes such views to the extreme.
The key difference between mainstream CHristianity and Westboro is Westboro completely ignores that other facet of Christianity, the call to show love and kindness to your neighbor. Picking the funerals is heartless, mean, and certainly disrespectful.

Old 12-23-2012, 12:24 AM

9,616 posts, read 12,917,890 times
Default How it really is...

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Such action scares me. I'm not sure that most ordinary people see a difference between the westboro baptist inbreeds and the Southern Baptists. If we start classifying a "Baptist" church (no matter how non-Baptist they are) as a hate group....it's not a small jump to call any Christian church a hate group.
FYI, many Christians, when they think no-one is watching, as a frequent example of hate-mongering, (check out some of the more virulent Sunday morning TV evangelists when they really get all wound up...) profess a lot of real heavy hatred for atheists, name-calling us with a rather nasty bunch of names, but also claiming that we are essentially without any moral basis to even be alive.

Wow! How loving and tolerant, eh?

Q: do thinking, rational loving adults (which means the vast majority of atheists, who often started out with "injected while young" blind faith ...) need to be dragged along by some rather outside guidelines ("Thou shalt not kill, thou shalt not commit adultery!") and so on?

Isn't that sort of behavior obvious, not to mention to the general long-term societal advantage? I'd say so: Christians do NOT own moral perfection nor ethical advantage. In fact, it can be shown that they languish in a back-water version of it, stuck as it is in the Bronze Age.

Btw, some stuff on the /net: a very large no. of nice people sent very appropriate Tweets directly to the WBC family, at their home e-mail addresses, that if any the Phelps Phamily were to show up and rant with their hate-filled and bigoted faces in Newtown, CT, a lot of local LEOs etc., incl. the local judge, would be looking the other way as to what, exactly, and graphically, would happen to them.

Dead, beaten & mangled bloody corpses hung on the local fence posts, as Estern ranchers do to unfortunate coyotes the ranchers have "binged", left to decompose, all while being picked at by a select few noble Vultures, would perhaps be a suitable warning closure to this incredibly sad group.

Yeah, OK: free speech: but then, I'll also seriously take my rights to defend the people of that town, and this country, from harrassment, intimidation and outright Evil.

I happily signed that WH petition. Perhaps Mr. Barak will show some political spine and do what's rationally right here! It's certainly time this group got it's social and legal come-uppence.

So... C'mon down, WBC! Weez a'waitin' this time!

Old 12-23-2012, 12:47 PM

584 posts, read 1,935,864 times
the wbc is not a church but a cult of hate that clearly mentally abuses their kids by raising them to hate.

Old 12-23-2012, 08:14 PM

7,381 posts, read 7,693,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pendleton42 View Post
the wbc is not a church but a cult of hate that clearly mentally abuses their kids by raising them to hate.
I can think of quite a few churches that do the same thing.

Old 12-24-2012, 06:55 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,060,466 times
Westboro is not a Baptist church in any sense, i don't know how they get away with calling themselves one. Then again they get away with a lot more. They are a hate group, pure and simple. I actually downloaded some of Old Man Phelps' sermons years ago and yes, he pretty much just rants against homosexuals and America and his other targets.

Old 12-26-2012, 10:19 PM

Price of Freedom I suppose. But then, what if we get a bit worked up and give 'em the official but V physical bum's rush outa town?

And then see if any court in this land would hold up a guilty charge against the "rushers"?

Old 12-31-2012, 08:17 AM

3,570 posts, read 8,720,066 times
Just checked the White House site and the total count of people signing the petition is now at 302,000! The petition is open 'til January 13, 2013. This is a group of people who are using Christianity to forward their cause. They are the wolves in sheep's clothing. Whatever the outcome of the petition they will all have to stand in front of God and give an account of what they did, as we all will. I pray their eyes would be opened to the grievous error of their way.

Old 12-31-2012, 12:27 PM

Ahmen, brother. One can only hope.

Peace, except on the WBC! They have an entirely different end-destination!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality