Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2013, 12:49 PM

81 posts, read 128,214 times

Advertisements

No matter how much you like Jesus and worship the christian religion there is only one reason you are a christian..... you were born in a christian country. Does anyone disagree with this. You would argue for another religion if you were born in any of the countries below....

If you were born in Thailand you will probably be a Buddhist.
If you were born in Pakistan you will probably be a Muslim.
If you were born in India you will probably be a Hindu.
If you were born in Japan you will probably be into Shinto.
If you were born in USA you will probably be a Christian.
If you were born in Haiti you will probably be into Voodoo.
If you were born in ancient Greece you will probably be into Zeus.

Your religion is just a matter of Geography and not that you are convinced that Christianity or the other religions is the right one. To me this is raising the first red flag...

I have also wondered why the die hard religious persons that don't believe in science are using science when they get sick. Have you ever prayed to your God when you are sick or do you actually take medicine which is science. This is raising the second red flag...

Does anyone disagree/agree with this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2013, 01:51 PM

1,791 posts, read 1,865,999 times
I'm curious as to how you explain minority religions in those countries and people who convert between religions.

If it all came down to geographical location, these would not exist.

I'm sure that for some culture and society does play a large part in their belonging to the dominate religion. But I certainly wouldn't say it was the only, or even necessarily the dominant, factor.

Old 01-09-2013, 02:50 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,195,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsweeting View Post
No matter how much you like Jesus and worship the christian religion there is only one reason you are a christian..... you were born in a christian country. Does anyone disagree with this. You would argue for another religion if you were born in any of the countries below....

Your religion is just a matter of Geography and not that you are convinced that Christianity or the other religions is the right one. To me this is raising the first red flag...
I've heard that argument. There may be some fact to it. But even so......so what? By the grace of God I was born and live in a town in a state in a country where I'd hear the Gospel at age 20 and become a Christian.

If God wanted me to be a Christian he could have put me in Pakistan and still made a way for me to hear the Gospel. There are Christians living there.
Quote:
I have also wondered why the die hard religious persons that don't believe in science are using science when they get sick. Have you ever prayed to your God when you are sick or do you actually take medicine which is science. This is raising the second red flag...
I don't know of anyone personally that doesn't call a doctor when he is sick. Nor do I know of anyone that doesn't believe in science.

You seem to be making a strawman argument here. Has science missed on some things? Yup. Do I believe in Darwinism? Nope....but that doesn't mean that I don't like science.

Old 01-09-2013, 03:27 PM

476 posts, read 466,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsweeting View Post

Does anyone disagree/agree with this.

I don't agree at all. South Korea has a thriving Christian population in a country that was predominantly Buddhist. The Phillipines has more people convert from Muslim to Christianity even at risk of imprisonment and death. On mission trips, people would walk for miles and miles to hear the gospel of Jesus Christ.

Old 01-11-2013, 11:57 AM

2,865 posts, read 3,632,176 times

There are a lot of people in China that are accepting Christianity, although I will grant you, that's an import.

I have also wondered why the die hard religious persons that don't believe in science are using science when they get sick. Have you ever prayed to your God when you are sick or do you actually take medicine which is science.

I thnk you find that a lot of your "die hard religious" persons DO believe in science, much to the contrary of what a lot of young people are told in colleges and universities these days (you cannot believe in science and religion, it is an oxymoron). I, as others have I am sure, have actually prayed AND taken medication, which is a mixture of science and religion. Neither is exclusive of the other in most "religions" that I know of, only in the minds of those who believe that you cannot be a scientific religious person.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality