Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2013, 09:42 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,920,807 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
I mean "mankind"...meaning the humans that inhabit earth. We know of no other life outside of this earth. Be it in the many billions of extra-solar planets that may exist, or the numerous other universes. If life exists elsewhere, I don't know and I can't say.
So, to get back to the original question, does the bible refer specifically to the Earth and Earthlings?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2013, 09:52 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,180,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
So, to get back to the original question, does the bible refer specifically to the Earth and Earthlings?
Yes.

Old 01-27-2013, 10:07 PM

7,381 posts, read 7,690,341 times
Quote:
I believe its quite clear that the Bible was written about the Earth, because, as Troutdude stated, the people who wrote the Bible had no concept of other worlds and could therefore not write their stories including them. This is more evidence that the god of the Bible doesn't exist, since he would likely have mentioned these other worlds.

Old 01-27-2013, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
This is more evidence that the god of the Bible doesn't exist, since he would likely have mentioned these other worlds.
Why?

Old 01-28-2013, 09:14 AM

9,455 posts, read 12,538,654 times
Quote:
But to answer your question....the Bible is about God's interaction with humanity. He created the universe, and the earth. He placed man here. If he placed it somewhere else....I have no idea. I have no idea what he might have done there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
The Bible is simply about humans and their relationship with God. I hope this helps. Nothing more and nothing less
In the light of these two answers. ^^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
. This is more evidence that the god of the Bible doesn't exist, since he would likely have mentioned these other worlds.
Your statement makes no sense. Why must God mention other worlds if the Bible is about the Earth, earthlings and their relationship with God? It is not relevent.

Old 01-28-2013, 10:06 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
Quote:
.I have no idea. I have no idea what he might have done there.
How is it possible that you can "have no idea" about some theological ideas and biblical references, but be so absolutely and unshakably certain about the literalness of others?

Genesis 1:27 - So God created man in his [own] image, in the image of God created he him;

John 3:16 - For God so loved the world, that he gave his ONLY begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

So, earth-man is a copy from God-form image, and there is no other "begotten son" anywhere in all creation. Those two passages don't seem to leave much room for "souls" elsewhere in the universe.

And, from both the Old and the New Testament, we have proof that the stars, all of them together, are of so little substance that they can simply fall to earth:

Revelation 6:13 - And the stars of the sky fell to the earth as the fig tree sheds its winter fruit when shaken by a gale.

Mark 13:25 - And the stars will be falling from heaven, and the powers in the heavens will be shaken.

How in the world can you say you "have no idea", when it is spelled out so clearly in the only source of knowledge that you recognize?

Last edited by jtur88; 01-28-2013 at 10:39 AM..

Old 01-28-2013, 12:01 PM

7,381 posts, read 7,690,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
In the light of these two answers. ^^^

Your statement makes no sense. Why must God mention other worlds if the Bible is about the Earth, earthlings and their relationship with God? It is not relevent.
It's very simple. That's the entire point. Such a God WOULD likely mention the other worlds and would not leave them out of the Bible. Thus, the Bible was written by those who had no knowledge of the other worlds, without inspiration from an all-knowing god.

Old 01-28-2013, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
How is it possible that you can "have no idea" about some theological ideas and biblical references, but be so absolutely and unshakably certain about the literalness of others?

Genesis 1:27 - So God created man in his [own] image, in the image of God created he him;

John 3:16 - For God so loved the world, that he gave his ONLY begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

So, earth-man is a copy from God-form image, and there is no other "begotten son" anywhere in all creation. Those two passages don't seem to leave much room for "souls" elsewhere in the universe.

And, from both the Old and the New Testament, we have proof that the stars, all of them together, are of so little substance that they can simply fall to earth:

Revelation 6:13 - And the stars of the sky fell to the earth as the fig tree sheds its winter fruit when shaken by a gale.

Mark 13:25 - And the stars will be falling from heaven, and the powers in the heavens will be shaken.

How in the world can you say you "have no idea", when it is spelled out so clearly in the only source of knowledge that you recognize?
We know that stars will not literally fall to the earth. The language is symbolic. There will be an appearance of it...but it's not like Betelgeuse is going to hit the Earth....as they are many millions times larger than earth.

As for God creating man in His image? So what? I see no reason to say with certainty that he didn't do it on another planet. I don't think he did...but it's not going to destroy my faith if we find out that there is a planet out there with life on it.

Old 01-28-2013, 03:22 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,934,993 times
Quote:
My feelings are that the Bible refers specifically to "the Earth and Earthlings." On the other hand, I definitely don't believe we're alone out there. I believe God has created "worlds without number." As Carl Sagan once put it, “How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, “This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant?” Instead they say, “No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.” A religion, old or new, that stressed the magnificence of the Universe as revealed by modern science might be able to draw forth reserves of reverence and awe hardly tapped by the conventional faiths.”

Old 01-28-2013, 04:56 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,920,807 times
Is there anything in the bible that references nature: Planets, stars, suns, physics, electricity, radio waves, nuclear power, mathematics, etc.?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality