Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2013, 11:18 AM

1,599 posts, read 3,136,402 times

Advertisements

Religious Freedom &
I am not going to commit on this issue but here is an article for your consideration and comments. A very interesting read.

Old 04-15-2013, 12:01 PM

33,312 posts, read 26,512,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinylly View Post
Religious Freedom &
I am not going to commit on this issue but here is an article for your consideration and comments. A very interesting read.
Ms. Stutzman is doing the right thing. I hope she continues to stand firm in her refusal to get involved with anything which promotes or condones homosexual practices. When obeying God puts the believer in conflict with man's laws the believer must obey God rather than man.

Homosexual 'marriage' is an attack on the divine institution of marriage which God designed to be between a man and a woman. God does not recognize 'gay marriage'. And shame on those states which have legalized it.

Old 04-15-2013, 12:25 PM

1,599 posts, read 3,136,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
Ms. Stutzman is doing the right thing. I hope she continues to stand firm in her refusal to get involved with anything which promotes or condones homosexual practices. When obeying God puts the believer in conflict with man's laws the believer must obey God rather than man.

Homosexual 'marriage' is an attack on the divine institution of marriage which God designed to be between a man and a woman. God does not recognize 'gay marriage'. And shame on those states which have legalized it.
I guess I will comment, even though I said I wouldn't. This is where homosexualality becomes a greater sin, trying force their sexuality on others even though it should only be between them and God.

Old 04-15-2013, 02:02 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,938,029 times
As I understand it, freedom of religion includes the right to be free from religion, and no strictly religious views should be imposed on any person or group.

Old 04-15-2013, 02:20 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,506,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
As I understand it, freedom of religion includes the right to be free from religion, and no strictly religious views should be imposed on any person or group.
Anarchy and\or mob rule would be only what is left if the right to be free from religion was followed or do you really want to live under this motto "what's yours is mine and what's mine is mine"

"Thou shalt not steal" ..... I bet there are laws that impose that concept on people (even in communism)

"Thou shalt not murder" ... I bet there are laws that impose that concept on people (even in communism)

"Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbor" ... I bet there are laws that impose that concept on people (even in communism) in court.
  • bear false witness .... ever heard of defamation of character lawsuits
  • bear false witness .... ever heard of perjury under oath
Just where do you believe our judicial system is based on .... an evolutional animal kingdom?

Old 04-15-2013, 03:56 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,204,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinylly View Post
Religious Freedom &
Hey, she can sell to whomever she wants. If she doesn't want to provide flowers to gay weddings, that's her prerogative. She can also refuse to send flowers to weddings that are being presided over by a woman minister. Or, if she is Catholic, a Protestant wedding. She also has the right to stand on a chair and shout racial epithets at public gatherings, burn the flag in the public square, or campaign for members of the American Nazi Party.

Those are her rights. However, freedom of speech only shields you from arrest or persecution by the government. It does not protect you from the other consequences of free speech, such as former customers dropping you like a hot potato.

Further, two men or two women getting married isn't forcing their homosexuality on anyone. Are you being asked to watch them in the bedroom?

Old 04-15-2013, 04:04 PM

9,695 posts, read 10,035,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Freedom of Religion makes it illegal for the any Government in the land to make laws which restricts Religion and its development

Old 04-15-2013, 04:12 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,204,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
Freedom of Religion makes it illegal for the any Government in the land to make laws which restricts Religion and its development
Like all rights, this is true until one's religion interferes with the rights of others. Because the flip side of Freedom of Religion is Freedom from Religion. After all, the Founding Fathers made it quite clear in the Constitution that no one had to pass a religious test in order to run for public office. In fact, read the entirety of the Constitution and the Federalist papers and you will never see the following words: Christ, Christian, Christianity, and God (With an upper case. There are plenty of references to ancient classical gods). James Madison, the architect of the Constitution and the writer of most of the Federalist Papers studied Divinity at Princeton. Yet he was also the one who attempted to shove religious freedom statutes through the House of Burgess.

I mean, the presence of a neighborhood bar or women not wearing head covering is a religious affront to many. Does that mean they get to proscribe that behavior in the name of religious freedom? Do they get to tell your wife to cover up because her otherwise acceptable address signals immorality to them?

Old 04-15-2013, 04:17 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,214,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Like all rights, this is true until one's religion interferes with the rights of others. There is also Freedom from Religion. After all, the Founding Fathers made it quite clear in the Constitution that no one had to pass a religious test in order to run for public office.
Only because 9 of the original 13 colonies had official state religions....and they didn't want the federal govt to get involved in it and walk on the states' rights.

She should be allowed to practice her religion. It's a private business, leave her alone.

Old 04-15-2013, 05:14 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,938,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
Anarchy and\or mob rule would be only what is left if the right to be free from religion was followed or do you really want to live under this motto "what's yours is mine and what's mine is mine"

"Thou shalt not steal" ..... I bet there are laws that impose that concept on people (even in communism)

"Thou shalt not murder" ... I bet there are laws that impose that concept on people (even in communism)

"Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbor" ... I bet there are laws that impose that concept on people (even in communism) in court.
  • bear false witness .... ever heard of defamation of character lawsuits
  • bear false witness .... ever heard of perjury under oath
Just where do you believe our judicial system is based on .... an evolutional animal kingdom?
I'll take it that this is actually a serious question/observation. Please note that I said "strictly religious" meaning that it has only religious application. The examples you give are social in nature and are followed even in avowedly atheist governments because there is good reason for them in an orderly society. Any religiously inspired legislation should have to demonstrate that there is good reason for it other than the religious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.