Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2014, 03:44 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,821,652 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rewsan View Post
I do agree with your point of view( but that doesnt mean I disbelieve God).Religion is one of the powerful weapon that can change whole society.

If you can look at the History many wars are started because of the religion.

i can give you an example on recent war in middle east. ISIS terror fighting Kurds because they believe that Kurds are KAFIR. ( not Muslim). But that is not true though...

Isis kills non muslims , and says that Qur an states to kill and torture non muslims. THEY USE RELIGION TO KILL PEOPLE FOR THEIR GREED. Nothing to do with religion.

Its all about beeing Greedy.
PADDLES!!! CHARGING!!! ZAP!!! Wooohooo, way to revive a 7 yr old thread on your first post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2014, 04:14 PM

16,677 posts, read 15,676,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanTerra View Post
PADDLES!!! CHARGING!!! ZAP!!! Wooohooo, way to revive a 7 yr old thread on your first post.
Who says the dead can't come back to life.

Old 10-10-2014, 04:58 PM

5,187 posts, read 6,944,451 times
Back in 2007, it was the Religion Forum only and I will say without a doubt different factions of beliefs got along much better than all divisive as it is today,

Old 10-11-2014, 02:16 AM

6,324 posts, read 4,324,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanTerra View Post
You forgot to yell CLEAR! so I was touching the post when you zapped it.

Ouch.

Old 10-11-2014, 02:26 AM

6,324 posts, read 4,324,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perry335654 View Post
Back in 2007, it was the Religion Forum only and I will say without a doubt different factions of beliefs got along much better than all divisive as it is today,
Oh well, of course. It's easy to get along when you don't have diametrically opposing factions to contend with.

"Oh, we might not all believe in the exactly the same thing, but we all believe in God - so let's join hands, lift our eyes to the heavens, and sing the hymn you will find on page 49 of our Multi-Religion No Atheists Allowed Hymnal ..."

("Uh, how can we lift our eyes to the heavens while singing the hymn on page 49 both at the same time?")

"Awww just shut up and sing you doubter!"

Back in 2007, I'm fairly certain that most people were still giving religion that unearned respect and deference that it has demanded for several thousand years. Even most atheists would tip-toe around religion.

"Err, yeah, I'm an atheist. I guess. I mean, hey, you never know. God might be up there right now, but, uh, and ... uh ... hey, I have no problem with God. I even go to church sometimes! Yeah! So please don't think that because I don't believe in your God doesn't mean I don't respect and even admire Jesus ... and yada yada, platitudes, blah blah, homages, blabbity blab blab."

Not today though, I'm afraid. Now you have us militants to deal with. Rawr! Because that's how you view us outspoken ones.

"How DARE you call a spade a spade! You could at least show us some respect and call it an "excavation tool" instead, dammit!"

Old 10-11-2014, 09:20 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,923,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
"How DARE you call a spade a spade! You could at least show us some respect and call it an "excavation tool" instead, dammit!"
Well, ok, but you don't have to call it a damned shovel.

Old 10-11-2014, 02:42 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,054,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleatis View Post
religion certainly is responsible for a lot of atrocities throughout history.
I hate to borrow a phrase from the NRA but...

Religion doesn't kill people, people kill people. Religion may be the rationale, but it isn't the reason.

Old 10-11-2014, 08:05 PM

13,240 posts, read 4,927,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
I hate to borrow a phrase from the NRA but...

Religion doesn't kill people, people kill people. Religion may be the rationale, but it isn't the reason.
I tend to view most religious frameworks similar to other forms of organizations. They often continue way on past their usefulness, often related to the fact that most are self-preserving (& self-perpetuating). The organization wants to continue to exist even after its mission, goal or objective has been fulfilled.

Faith-based (& very often rigid) ideological frameworks tend to mutate, sometimes splintering off or multiplying & invariably seem to continue to exist in various forms. The new forms are not necessarily an improvement on the old forms (as is truer in the arts including the sciences, technology, & products, etc.) however continue to serve some sort of purpose. One thing you can say about anything that exists in the world (as opposed to the many things that don’t) is that whatever exists somehow works, has some sort of function or purpose maybe? Although these faith-based frameworks often seem more like viruses to me.

Human beings are still human beings even though we continue to evolve. We become. We’re still here until we are no longer. 

Seemingly, organized religions may not have a place in modern society although the predominant religion of a country seems to have a hangover effect on its people. Even when not schooled in a particular religion, one is subtly & sometimes not so subtly influenced. The main tenets of the religion often become engrained or entangled in the country’s culture (whether or not there remains value).

Apparently people want to continue killing other people.

If they didn’t, they would stop.

Old 10-11-2014, 09:28 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,821,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
You forgot to yell CLEAR! so I was touching the post when you zapped it.

Ouch.
I know, I'm sorry! But I included it when I needed it at the BU vs. TCU game. LOL

Old 10-12-2014, 06:17 PM

1,292 posts, read 3,476,203 times
Hmm. The title of this thread is one of the goofiest things imaginable.

The governments that created official Museums of Atheism, that sponsored World Atheist Conferences, that published endless official government books supporting atheism, that sponsored groups like the League of the Militant Godless, that spent official government funds printing posters that support atheism and disparage religious belief...seem to be the institutions responsible for the most destructive programs, ever.

That would include about 61 million dead under Stalin's purges, 70 million under Mao's Cultural Revolution, just for starters, in internal wars directed against their own people, and not even beginning to include the horrors of atheist states like Hoxha's Albania, Pol Pot's Cambodia, et al. Atheist governments' democide (murder of their own populations, not including deaths from wars of conquest) body counts are between 40,472,000 (at the low estimate) to 259,432,000 (at the high end.) (http://www.hawaii.edu/powerkills/COM.TAB1.GIF).

One can try to perform intellectual back-flips and claim that the government that published official atheist songbooks or published official atheist screeds against Christmas trees is somehow a "religion," or that Stalin was secretly still a Christian seminarian, or that kind of nonsense...but that's unhistorical nonsense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality