Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2007, 08:13 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,286,152 times

Advertisements

I can't call it a religion, either.

Was there this big an uproar when Mother Theresa's letters came to light?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2007, 12:52 AM

4,714 posts, read 8,462,246 times
The article shows that the book is mistakenly attributed (on the book's cover) to the atheist, and now the publisher doesn't want to deal with it.

Old 11-07-2007, 08:16 AM

5,642 posts, read 15,713,148 times
I believe this news is two years old. And no, the guy did not have a conversion due to "old age". He's still writing books and delivering thesis papers for crying out loud!

Video:
YouTube - Gary Habermas vs Anthony Flew pt1

Old 11-08-2007, 04:43 PM

Anthony Flew: There were two factors in particular that were decisive. One was my growing empathy with the insight of Einstein and other noted scientists that there had to be an Intelligence behind the integrated complexity of the physical Universe. The second was my own insight that the integrated complexity of life itself - which is far more complex than the physical Universe - can only be explained in terms of an Intelligent Source. I believe that the origin of life and reproduction simply cannot be explained from a biological standpoint despite numerous efforts to do so. With every passing year, the more that was discovered about the richness and inherent intelligence of life, the less it seemed likely that a chemical soup could magically generate the genetic code. The difference between life and non-life, it became apparent to me, was ontological and not chemical. The best confirmation of this radical gulf is Richard Dawkins' comical effort to argue in The God Delusion that the origin of life can be attributed to a "lucky chance." If that's the best argument you have, then the game is over. No, I did not hear a Voice. It was the evidence itself that led me to this conclusion.

Doesn't sound like a guy losing his mind due to old age.

Old 11-08-2007, 06:55 PM

640 posts, read 461,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
There are atheist people that are very outspoken, eloquent, and represent a lot of similar ideas. But there is no "Atheist Doctrine" that we go by to follow our belief system.
It would be difficult to have a doctrine about a belief system of........well.......nothing.

Old 11-09-2007, 10:06 PM

133 posts, read 534,532 times
I've heard of plenty of atheists switching their views when they're nearing the ends of their lives. I don't think it's a case of him losing his mind, but probably of him becoming scared that this is it, there will be nothing else for him when he dies. When you're in your winter years, I'm pretty sure that many think an eternity of life and happiness sounds far nicer than nothing. It's all in the way some people look at death.

Old 11-10-2007, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by part_iv View Post
I've heard of plenty of atheists switching their views when they're nearing the ends of their lives. I don't think it's a case of him losing his mind, but probably of him becoming scared that this is it, there will be nothing else for him when he dies. When you're in your winter years, I'm pretty sure that many think an eternity of life and happiness sounds far nicer than nothing. It's all in the way some people look at death.
Except, Jesus looks into your heart for truth. So it woudln't matter if you're scared or not.

Old 03-20-2008, 02:02 PM

285 posts, read 535,626 times
shall we count the number of christians, and especially pastors, who became atheist and see if we get tit for tat ?

Old 03-20-2008, 02:20 PM

4,440 posts, read 9,071,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahteist2 View Post
shall we count the number of christians, and especially pastors, who became atheist and see if we get tit for tat ?
Go to it. Please source each one.

Old 03-20-2008, 05:42 PM

552 posts, read 1,073,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasNick View Post
The best confirmation of this radical gulf is Richard Dawkins' comical effort to argue in The God Delusion that the origin of life can be attributed to a "lucky chance." If that's the best argument you have, then the game is over. No, I did not hear a Voice. It was the evidence itself that led me to this conclusion.

Doesn't sound like a guy losing his mind due to old age.
Did he really say this? Because I've read The God Delusion and in it Dawkin's explicitly states that it is NOT "lucky chance".

Personally, I've never heard of this guy as I'm not interested in philosophy (aka pseudo-intellectualism), but from what I've read of him in the last two minutes, I'm not so sure I'd call this guy an authority on anything. What I think doesn't matter, of course, since it still stands to say that just because someone believes in something doesn't mean it's true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality