Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2013, 01:52 PM

1,755 posts, read 2,997,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
There are also many people who are unable to have sex for a wide variety of reasons. They can still be happily married. There are also many, many American couples who married in middle age that have no children and do not ever expect to. They are still allowed to be married.
Exactly. So...I'm not really getting what stargazzer or the OP is getting at with this whole marriage thing. love isn't really logical so...I don't know if overall it's just that he/she doesn't believe in marriage beyond reproduction (this is my thinking of his perception at this point), or if he's just...trying to make a point. lol I don't know. *shrugs*

Old 06-03-2013, 01:53 PM

1,755 posts, read 2,997,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I have NO idea what this means.

Anyone?
Nobody does. Sorry Dew

Old 06-03-2013, 01:54 PM

5,458 posts, read 6,716,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
While I respect that two gay people can love each other as much as a straight couple, I do feel that the fact they can't truly have a baby together sort of means it's not entirely equal.
While I respect that two older people can love each other as much as a younger couple, I do feel that the fact they can't truly have a baby together sort of means it's not entirely equal. That's why there's a centuries long history of organized religious opposition to heterosexual marriage among older couples. Oh wait, no there isn't.

It's strange that this sort of objection to potentially infertile couples being married never seemed to come up until couples who ick some people out wanted to do so. Almost as if it were a rationalization rather than a legitimate reason.

Old 06-03-2013, 02:03 PM

16,675 posts, read 15,676,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stargazzer View Post
In order to argue...the homosexual will need to retract and deny the attraction to the same gender in the mating theme, and be known as a couple....its as simple as that. It can only be faked. Marriage is just a word which gives however formal, and social recognition to whatever promise.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I have NO idea what this means.

Anyone?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royalite View Post
Nobody does. Sorry Dew
Translating stargazz-ese into English may well be impossible. I have no idea what that post means.

Old 06-03-2013, 02:17 PM

3,448 posts, read 3,133,213 times
I have to go and its not my fault everything has to be dumbed down.

A couple is a couple out of attraction............check

Mating is not just doing it, it is a theme including courtship and other things easily seen in nature and people......check.

Its not possible for two of the same sex to approach the idea> in the mating theme....check

If it cannot be understood...guess what.. I don't believe it and neither does the English language.

People can 'think ...whatever they like but the bottom line is language gives us the ability to define things.

So far the OP is perfectly correct.

mate*1 *(mt)
n.
1. One of a matched pair: the mate to this glove.
2. A spouse.
a. Either of a pair of animals or birds that associate in order to propagate.
b. Either of a pair of animals brought together for breeding.

Last edited by stargazzer; 06-03-2013 at 02:34 PM..

Old 06-03-2013, 02:25 PM

16,675 posts, read 15,676,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCfromNC View Post
While I respect that two older people can love each other as much as a younger couple, I do feel that the fact they can't truly have a baby together sort of means it's not entirely equal. That's why there's a centuries long history of organized religious opposition to heterosexual marriage among older couples. Oh wait, no there isn't.

It's strange that this sort of objection to potentially infertile couples being married never seemed to come up until couples who ick some people out wanted to do so. Almost as if it were a rationalization rather than a legitimate reason.
I think you might be onto something. So, you're saying it is OK for a couple in their 50's to get married as long as they're not "icky?"

Old 06-03-2013, 02:46 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
Quote:

Its not possible for two of the same sex to approach the idea> in the mating theme....check
So apparently Tab A does have to go in Slot B or it's not marriage. And I'm guessing there's only one definition of what Tab A and Slot B are to those who don't believe in marriage equality.

So, gents and gents and ladies and ladies, sorry, but if you're using your Tab or your Slot in an unapproved manner you can never, ever get married. No matter how much you love each other. (Until/unless the Supreme Court decides that equal rights are more important than how you use your Tabs and Slots. Then you can book a really great caterer!)

Old 06-03-2013, 02:46 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times
Quote:

Mating is not just doing it, it is a theme including courtship and other things easily seen in nature and people......check.

If it cannot be understood...guess what.. I don't believe it and neither does the English language.

People can 'think ...whatever they like but the bottom line is language gives us the ability to define things.

mate*1 *(mt)
n.
2. A spouse.
I'm willing to give you the chance to convince me, but so far what you are saying makes no sense.\

You said, "A couple is a couple out of attraction" - well sure, but many same sex couples are extremely "attracted" to one another.

So - CHECK

You also said, "Mating is not just doing it, it is a theme including courtship and other things easily seen in nature and people." Well, I've seen same sex couples court each other.

So - CHECK

You said, "Its not possible for two of the same sex to approach the idea in the mating theme.", but I've witnessed this happening between same sex couples too.

So - CHECK

Please give us other examples to support your claim because the ones you have already given don't hold water

Old 06-03-2013, 02:59 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,211,524 times
Quote:
this is hardly an address of the OP and the rational explaining. I have to go...now we are at 12 pages and there are still adults who think that the "mating theme" can be approached in any way whatsoever by two of the same sex. ( marriage is just a word for tradition explaining the human experience.

When I come back later tonight after some more responsibilities, it appears that we will be able to wrap this up once and for all.

Well done OP, very little left to explain, no doubt about it
There is no MATING THEME in marriage. Mating is not required for marriage, and marriage is not required for mating.

They are two SEPARATE THINGS.

Elderly people can get married, but can not reproduce.
Infertile people can get married but can not reproduce.
People who don't want children can get married.
These are the FACTS.

Old 06-03-2013, 03:02 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,211,524 times
Quote:

mate*1 *(mt)
n.
2. A spouse.
Black swans sometimes form male male life long bonding pairs. So your "doesn't happen in nature" argument doesn't hold water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality