Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 11:30 PM

63,822 posts, read 40,118,744 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebnllnb View Post
I never said I didn't want my consciousness to continue after death I just see zero reason to believe it will. And regardless of want or desire if life after death does not exist Oleg won't have it either. To Oleg to state he/she KNOWS that there is an afterlife is dishonest. I can state there is no afterlife because NOTHING that we know of our universe points to it being possible.
::Sigh:: This is a deficiency of what you know about our universe, Mike. Everything that exists is various vibratory manifestations of the universal field as energy/mass. Our consciousness is a composite form of that vibratory energy that can NOT reside in any of the matter forms . . . such as our brain. So it must reside in the general universal field. It cannot be destroyed only transformed into a different form. Currently our brain is the only known method available to transform (alter) our existing consciousness composite. When we die there is nothing we know about that can transform the "mikebnllnb consciousness composite" into anything else. You do the math.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2013, 12:12 AM

4,529 posts, read 5,139,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
::Sigh:: This is a deficiency of what you know about our universe, Mike. Everything that exists is various vibratory manifestations of the universal field as energy/mass. Our consciousness is a composite form of that vibratory energy that can NOT reside in any of the matter forms . . . such as our brain. So it must reside in the general universal field. It cannot be destroyed only transformed into a different form. Currently our brain is the only known method available to transform (alter) our existing consciousness composite. When we die there is nothing we know about that can transform the "mikebnllnb consciousness composite" into anything else. You do the math.
Then my "vibratory energy" at death is no more significant than that of a rock or a banana peel in the grand "universal field".

Old 06-06-2013, 02:25 AM

3,636 posts, read 3,428,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Our consciousness is a composite form of that vibratory energy that can NOT reside in any of the matter forms . . . such as our brain.
Other than repetition - which is all you have supported the above assertion with on this forum over the years - have you anything at all to support the above?

Old 06-06-2013, 08:30 AM

4,526 posts, read 6,089,179 times
how can anyone that wants to believe in NO afterlife be convinced?

they will only be convinced when they experience it themselves and this will occur either at death or near death(of course--they will try to scientifically explain nde)

so all the rhetoric is simply for naught

Old 06-06-2013, 09:34 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,378,034 times
But for me at least it has nothing to do with what I WANT to believe. At all.

It is all to do with whether there is any reason to believe it or not. And there is not. So I do not AND can not believe it.

Now maybe you have a skill I dont... to look at something entirely unsubstantiated and just flick a switch and believe it anyway. But I can not.

There is no reason to think there is anything but scientific explanations for NDE.

Old 06-06-2013, 02:13 PM

2,826 posts, read 2,369,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoCapo View Post
OMG! The Yellow Deli People!!! I ate at the Chattanooga Yellow Deli once... It was kind of trippy. I didn't realize it was that widespread... I thought it was just east TN and maybe north GA.

-NoCapo

Valley Center, CA.

Old 06-06-2013, 03:31 PM

3,483 posts, read 4,047,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fschmidt View Post
For the fate of people and the fate of animals is the same. As one dies, so dies the other; they all have the same breath. People have no advantage over animals since everything is futile. All are going to the same place; all come from dust, and all return to dust.
- Ecclesiastes 3:19-20
One of the best quotes concerning the afterlife in the Hebrew Bible and very often overlooked! The writer of Ecclesiastes (or Qoheleth) goes on to deal with the new Jewish belief in an afterlife (influenced by Hellenism and others) and pretty much deny the very existence of an afterlife when he asks the rhetorical question:
All go to one place; all came from dust, all will return to dust.

Who knows the life-breath of human beings, whether it goes upward on high;
or the life-breath of animals, whether it goes downward below to the netherworld?
(Ecclesiastes 3:19-21, AB 18C)
The answer is, of course, that nobody knows - especially the religious thinkers who were starting to preach that humans had "souls" (the usual translation of "life-breath" / nephesh) and that good "souls" went up to Heaven and bad "souls" went down to the Netherworld - the Earth. Qoheleth is adamant that there is no difference between humans and animals in this regard - they all ended up in the same place: the dust of the earth. There is no "going up".

Old 06-06-2013, 04:59 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,397,063 times
Quote:
I personally have a problem with the unfounded belief
that due to nothing more than my disbelief I will be punished by god.
Not only will I be punished I deserve to be punished.
Nothing respectful about that belief.
You got THAT right!
I forget people still believe that...:/

Old 06-06-2013, 05:18 PM

5,187 posts, read 6,947,097 times
The afterlife will be bad or good, take your choice, toodles, have a blessed day

Old 06-06-2013, 05:41 PM

63,822 posts, read 40,118,744 times
Quote:
Then my "vibratory energy" at death is no more significant than that of a rock or a banana peel in the grand "universal field".
Yes it is quite a bit more significant . . . just as it is in life. It is aware of itself but then it will not be subject to decay or any kind of transformation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality