Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2013, 08:17 AM

1,755 posts, read 2,999,025 times

Advertisements

I would post this in the Buddhist section but there aren't too many posters there it seems like...

While some people have a tendency to live in the past, my mind tries very hard to project itself 20-30 years into the future and sometimes further. Of course, this is impossible. There is no "future" and everything that's happening is happening now. We create our futures by our present actions. Nevertheless, my mind continues to try.

I believe this is the root cause of much of my fears and uncertainties. I recently watched a really good movie in which one of the main characters spoke beautifully on this. He was in danger and had come to the conclusion that he was about to die and as a result became really present. He could see the sunlight and that took away his fears because he realized that fear is not real. Danger is real. But he saw that fear was not.

For me, my mind wonders, "If I no longer dwell on the future, how will I know I'm moving towards my goals?" That thought alone is what continuously pushes my thoughts into the future because I'm scared my goals won't be accomplished for whatever reason.

For those who are able to firmly root themselves in the present (I'm sure there are some here), what did you realize?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2013, 10:32 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,757,440 times
I suppose preferring the view that this life is the only one I get focusses me on what's important. Fears about the future ...well, I try to anticipate what problems are coming and deal with them beforehand. Afterlife matters aren't important. One might as well sacrifice cats to the sun to stop it going Nova.

Problems beyond my future such a WWIII or a general extinction or an asteroid strike, I can just try to do a little to have society anticipate these problems and guards against them.

Old 06-02-2013, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
I suppose preferring the view that this life is the only one I get focusses me on what's important. Fears about the future ...well, I try to anticipate what problems are coming and deal with them beforehand. Afterlife matters aren't important. One might as well sacrifice cats to the sun to stop it going Nova.

Problems beyond my future such a WWIII or a general extinction or an asteroid strike, I can just try to do a little to have society anticipate these problems and guards against them.
I don't think much about the afterlife if at all but I think about things like where I'd like to be by the time I'm 40 and what I'd like to accomplish in this life before I leave it. Do you find yourself thinking 20-30 years into the future as well? Or have you learned over time to remain present?

I wondered if age played a role. If this was something that fades with age. I asked someone this question. They're about 50 and they said that for them, the future just means getting older and that you can make plans and work towards them today but that you don't put off enjoying your life because you don't know if tomorrow will come. That having goals doesn't require thinking long into the future.

Old 06-02-2013, 03:17 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,757,440 times
I can find time to dwell in the present and also have a forward plan of where I'd like to be in 20 years time.

I do have Aims and am trying to accomplish them, but also a backup plan - always have a backup plan! If your plans don't work out try to have a life that was worth doing anyway. I suppose that my career suffered because my priority was travelling around fascinating places, not climbing the ladder to the top jobs. As it turns out my memories and records of travelling are worth more to me than almost anything else.

And I must say I think the time I spend here is well worth -while. as well of meeting a lot of great people who I might not agree with but I still think are great.

And what a load of gossip to a much more spiritually oriented OP! Well, WYSIAIG. (What you see is all I got)

Old 06-02-2013, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
I can find time to dwell in the present and also have a forward plan of where I'd like to be in 20 years time.

I do have Aims and am trying to accomplish them, but also a backup plan - always have a backup plan! If your plans don't work out try to have a life that was worth doing anyway. I suppose that my career suffered because my priority was travelling around fascinating places, not climbing the ladder to the top jobs. As it turns out my memories and records of travelling are worth more to me than almost anything else.

And I must say I think the time I spend here is well worth -while. as well of meeting a lot of great people who I might not agree with but I still think are great.

And what a load of gossip to a much more spiritually oriented OP! Well, WYSIAIG. (What you see is all I got)
I don't get the very last sentence but thanks for your response. You were honest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality