Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2007, 09:40 AM

3,684 posts, read 11,816,764 times

Advertisements

The Holiday Season is fast approaching and this is the time that most people think about what they want to give to charities and as gifts. Since most people have way more than they need (note the word need not want) maybe this year it would be nice to incorporate gift giving with charitable giving by donating a gift in the name of the person that really doesn't need anything anyway. Just a thought that I hope will spread.

My preferred charities are Beagle Rescue of Southern Maryland (Home), Catholic Charities (Catholic Charities USA (http://www.catholiccharitiesusa.org/NetCommunity/Page.aspx?srcid=-2 - broken link)), St. Jude Children's Hospital (St. Jude Children's Research Hospital), and Gateway School (The Gateway School of New York - About Us (broken link)).

For other worthwhile charities you can go to: Charity Navigator to see what's out there that you may want to support and how they spend your money. Charity Navigator - America's Largest Charity Evaluator | Home

The feeling you get from giving is always better than the feeling you get from receiving something you really don't need.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2007, 09:59 AM

72,418 posts, read 18,203,422 times
I am involved with the American Cancer Society.I join a group once a year in Arcadia Calif. at the race tracks it's called Relay for Life.which is a 24 hr relay.So It's also a good organization for charity
The American Red Cross too. I have given blood.So that's a good way.
I am also a member with the Kiwanis Club,Circle K. They do charity work for children.
I like to keep busy!

Old 11-04-2007, 09:42 PM

3,927 posts, read 8,668,858 times
For the past few years, I have donated to St. Jude in Memphis on behalf of my mother in law. SHe does not like receiving gifts, but she loves opening up her gift from me and seeing that I made a donation in her name.

I chose St. Jude because my cousin's grandson had cancer, so rare that only 3 children in the US had it, and he was given a very low chance of survival. He lived there for over a year, was only 3 when diagnosed. Now, he is cancer free, or should I say remission and has to get checked out every three months. This type cancer can recur, but the outlook is great if he can get past his 6th birthday which is next year. The doctors were wonderful, so were the nurses. They did not sugar coat how serious his condition was, and told them that the meds used to cure this type of cancer usually killed the paitent but if he survived the treatment, his outlook was excellent. To see him now one would never know he is a cancer surviver.

Old 11-04-2007, 10:07 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,512,386 times
Most of my charitable work or money donations is done here where I live..We have Food Pantry, Womens, and homeless shelters, local Habitat for Humanity, Shop with a Cop,Thrift Stores H.O.P.E. (help our poor survive), animal shelter, and the salvation army..I do believe that charity begins at home.. We also donate money to a few national organizations..

Old 11-04-2007, 10:13 PM

3,684 posts, read 11,816,764 times
St. Judes has always been on my list, not because I have any personal experience there, but because I know they are there if I need them and to me that is worth supporting because so many do need them. Gateway School is where my niece goes. They sponsor 60% of the kids that go there...my sister pays but we raise money for the others because not everyone can afford to send their kids there and it's a miracle school for these kids...my niece is flourishing there, so again kids have my heart.

Old 11-04-2007, 10:54 PM

30,357 posts, read 51,950,786 times
I don't have much to give right now (can barely pay rent!), but I thank you for the reminder... I still have MUCH more than some people, and should show my gratitude in giving. And while I love how generous humans are "during the holidays," I do wish this wasn't just a seasonal thing for some. My mother always said "People are still hungry, even when it's not a holiday" - and showed us with regular visits to the Samaritan House (local charity) in February, March, and any other random month. That really instilled a great lesson in us! That being said, here are my personal favorite charities...

Welcome to Peninsula Humane Society & SPCA!
ASPCA: The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals
Jewish National Fund: Plant Trees and Bring Water to Israel
JFCS social services for children, seniors, adults, family in San Francisco, Marin, Peninsula, Sonoma county (http://www.jfcs.org/default.asp - broken link)
The National Police Athletic League Associations Website - Home (my sister works with them - great organization!)
Samaritan House Home
ACTUP San Francisco Medical Marijuana Dispensary (they're an AIDS & animal-rights charity, not just marijuana dispensary )

Last edited by gizmo980; 11-04-2007 at 11:06 PM..

Old 11-04-2007, 11:08 PM

30,357 posts, read 51,950,786 times
Oh, and if you have any dresses or professional clothing to get rid of, try these charities... first one is local (Bay Area), but I'm sure similar groups exist in other places!

The Princess Project (http://www.princessproject.org/princess/ - broken link)
Home - Dress for Success

Old 11-05-2007, 06:47 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,630,992 times
We have erradicated presents for most people we know as they want for nothing and do not need anything and have instead been for the last few years buying "goats", "School equipment", "mango plantations" etc... in their names.

A few of my favourite charities :

Oxfam Unwrapped, Poverty Fighting Pressies from Oxfam's Online Shop
Amnesty International - Working To Protect Human Rights Worldwide
help the aged - Google Search
Sight Savers International - International Charity Fighting Blindness
Home | Greenpeace International
Survival International | The movement for tribal peoples
Nonviolent campaign to stop the use of Depleted Uranium Weapons

Old 11-05-2007, 02:16 PM

5,004 posts, read 15,353,570 times
I don't give money, but I do give my time year around to helping the poor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality