Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 09:49 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,195,902 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Well, different strokes I suppose... Actually, defying God had absolutely nothing to do with why I (or probably most of the Mormons in the parade) marched. I think most of us felt that the Mormons who treat gays like second-class citizens are the ones who are defying Jesus Christ. The last thing I ever intend to do is cut God out of my life. That may work for some people, but it wouldn't for me.
I've seen this type of comment before from religious folks. I'm just curious if you would say that overlooking any other sin and supporting the person doing it would be viewed the same way?

For instance, would you march in support of adulterers (gay or straight)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2013, 10:03 AM

28,098 posts, read 29,970,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
I've seen this type of comment before from religious folks. I'm just curious if you would say that overlooking any other sin and supporting the person doing it would be viewed the same way?
I don't think we should love only those people whose sins we consider to be less serious than our own. I don't believe in casting stones, in other words.

Quote:
For instance, would you march in support of adulterers (gay or straight)?
I think you may be missing the point, Vizio. The LDS Church has historically taken such a strong stand against LGBT folks that many of our young people, upon coming out, have felt so alone, isolated and un-loved by their families and straight friends that they've chosen to take their own lives. Mormonism is all about family. This march was not so much about supporting gay sex as it was about choosing to continue to make gays and lesbians feel welcome and loved in our church.

There is an LDS children's song that says:
"Jesus turned away from none. He gave His love to everyone."

That's all we were trying to encourage people to do. I don't see anything wrong with that.

Last edited by Katzpur; 06-05-2013 at 10:13 AM..

Old 06-05-2013, 10:13 AM

Quote:
I don't think we should love only people whose sins we consider to be less serious than our own. I don't believe in casting stones, in other words.

I think you may be missing the point, Vizio. The LDS Church has historically taken such a strong stand against LGBT folks that many of our young people, upon coming out, have felt so alone, isolated and un-loved by their families and straight friends that they've chosen to take their own lives. Mormonism is all about family. This march was not so much about supporting gay sex as it was about choosing to continue to make gays and lesbians feel welcome and loved in our church.

There is an LDS children's song that says:
"Jesus turned away from none. He gave His love to everyone."

That's all we were trying to encourage people to do.
I completely agree with you that we need to love on everyone. I'm curious why that would be equated why that would be equated with walking in support of a lifestyle of sin?

Would you do the same for people protesting their right to adultery? Or drunkenness? Or ANY other sin?

Old 06-05-2013, 10:16 AM

Quote:
I completely agree with you that we need to love on everyone. I'm curious why that would be equated why that would be equated with walking in support of a lifestyle of sin?

Would you do the same for people protesting their right to adultery? Or drunkenness? Or ANY other sin?
It's not about their "right to sin." It's about our "responsibility to love." It's about living our own lives the best we can and leaving the judgment of others up to God. I'm sorry if my explanation didn't make sense to you, but I just can't dumb it down any further.

Old 06-05-2013, 10:19 AM

Quote:
It's not about their "right to sin." It's about our "responsibility to love." I'm sorry if my explanation didn't make sense to you, but I just can't dumb it down any further.
Alright...I gotcha. You feel you're supporting them and expressing love. That's admirable. I commend you for your desire to love people.

I wonder, though, that since it's in the setting of a march, that perhaps we're sending the message that it isn't sinful behavior.

Old 06-05-2013, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Alright...I gotcha. You feel you're supporting them and expressing love. That's admirable. I commend you for your desire to love people.

I wonder, though, that since it's in the setting of a march, that perhaps we're sending the message that it isn't sinful behavior.
Clearly, since you took it that way, I suppose some other people might, too. That's not the message we intended to send, though, and I think if you'd been there, you'd have been able to see that.

You asked about whether I'd march in support of drunkenness. Let me answer you this way... As you may know, we Mormons have a health code which prohibits, among other things, the use of tobacco. There are members of our Church, however, who are addicted to smoking. You can smell the smoke on them from ten feet away. Their teeth and fingers are discolored. They don't have to tell people they smoke; it's obvious to anyone. Many of these people would attend LDS worship services if they felt they were welcome, but they feel as if they would be judged for the "sin" that everyone knows they're guilty of, so they stay home. If there was a parade I could march in that encouraged these people to return to church (even if they couldn't break their smoking habit), I would march in it. If they knew people in the congregation would welcome them and be willing to sit by them, that would make me really happy.

Old 06-05-2013, 11:30 AM
Sco

4,259 posts, read 4,919,645 times
Quote:
Sco, tithing funds are not used to fund anti-LGBT causes and political campaigns. You've made your contempt for Mormonism so clear in the past, that I'm just giving you a heads up right now: I've answered your question. I have nothing more to say to you on the subject.
Are you claiming that the LDS church didn't spend millions on the anti-gay side of the Prop 8 campaign? It has been estimated that the LDS church spent $20 million dollars on that one campaign alone.

So, my comtempt isn't for the Mormon religion, it is for the hypocrisy and outright lies displayed by many Mormons. Your claim that the LDS church does not fund anti-gay causes and political campaigns is just one example of that behavior.

Old 06-05-2013, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sco View Post
Are you claiming that the LDS church didn't spend millions on the anti-gay side of the Prop 8 campaign? It has been estimated that the LDS church spent $20 million dollars on that one campaign alone.

So, my comtempt isn't for the Mormon religion, it is for the hypocrisy and outright lies displayed by many Mormons. Your claim that the LDS church does not fund anti-gay causes and political campaigns is just one example of that behavior.
How is it wrong for them to take a stand politically?

Old 06-05-2013, 12:06 PM

16,675 posts, read 15,676,579 times
Quote:
How is it wrong for them to take a stand politically?
It's not, unless they want to remain tax exempt. If you want to pay taxes like any for-profit business, you can advocate for all the candidates and political positions you want. However, those things are against the rules that regulate tax exempt organizations. If you stand up in your pulpit and recommend that your parishioners vote against Proposition 8, you risk the tax exempt status of your church.

Old 06-05-2013, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
It's not, unless they want to remain tax exempt. If you want to pay taxes like any for-profit business, you can advocate for all the candidates and political positions you want. However, those things are against the rules that regulate tax exempt organizations. If you stand up in your pulpit and recommend that your parishioners vote against Proposition 8, you risk the tax exempt status of your church.
So take away their tax exempt status. I have no issue with that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality