Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2007, 02:09 PM

4 posts, read 9,837 times

Advertisements

Yes, yet another discussion (let's keep it civil) on homosexuality. I find that more often than not it is in fact Christians or other religious individuals who continue to bring it up recurringly. I ask, why?

I'm a lesbian. A strong, independent, morally just lesbian. I understand your religion and your beliefs, brought about by your unwavering belief in the bible, but what I don't understand is the pervasive obsession so many Christians seem to have with discussing and debating homosexuality.

Many of you continue to ignore scientific evidence stating that because the bible says so, homosexuality is a sin. Last time I checked, all sin is created equal, and I really do not understand the obsession. As far as I'm concerned, people have the right to live their lives and do whatever they want in the privacy of their own bedrooms.

It's really none of anyone's business. Constantly being told how sinful, perverted, or doomed to hell one is for their innate, natural, and normal (to them atleast) sexual orientation is not only wrong, but hateful, disgusting, and goes against anything the alleged Jesus would have taught or preached.

Remember, according to the bible, Jesus was about love. That's why I don't understand the multitude of hate coming from so many of those who claim to follow this man's word.

At the age of 17, when I finally realized that I was a lesbian and attracted to other women, I tried to drive my car off of a bridge. I hit the support structure at 40 miles per hour and was knocked unconscious, the car practically hanging off the bridge. A kind, caring old man was driving in the opposite direction, saw this, and called the police. I had suffered massive internal and external injuries, and had it not been for this man's kindness I surely would not be alive today.

I ask, those of you who spew hatred toward gays to think about what I just wrote. Would you want to be responsible for a young person's suicide because they just found out they are gay? It's true, thousands of young gays and lesbians attempt suicide every year because a number of people (typically Christians and other religious) are so intent on spreading hatred. Why?

I keep reading people who say things like, "love the sinner, hate the sin". Or, I respect homosexuals but not their lifestyle". You might as well just say "I hate gays". Insulting someone's personal sexual preference is just that. Insulting. It really doesn't matter if you try and explain it.

So in all this, I want to know why so many Christians specifically are obsessed with homosexuality?

Old 11-08-2007, 02:26 PM

2,008 posts, read 3,330,672 times
i think a better question is: why are homophobes so obsessed with christianity?

i live in a really religious area, and there is a lot of talk about how homosexuals have 375693367576593756864756009837 in one year, and that they cause little kids to gget aids; then they call homosexuals names like fornicator and pervert and all those nasty words that aren't really civil to say.

yet interestingly enough, these people probably have never met a gay person, and when they have they didn't know it because the gay person didn't act stereotypical enough. which in my mind is where the problem lies. Homosexuals challenge social norms, and some people just can't stand a boat rocker. but a lot of what we hear isn't even real, it's a bunch of embellishments, stereotypes and outright prejudice (i mean that in the most literal term of judging before one knows, as well as the common idea of prejudice)

i think a lot of these people don't like what gay people do and use religion as a way of saying "see, god said you are wrong, and it gives me license to be insulting and ignorant" (again, i mean ignorant in the literal sense, not the insulting sense).

i know some religious people who aren't aggressive about what people do behind closed doors, and i know some that are real jerks about it. but all in all i don't think i would attribute it all to the religion, i would attribute it to the people abusing religion (which happens too often). one of my observations, that may be wrong, is that the people that make the biggest deal about their faith, and totally immerse themselves in it, are the ones that are the most insecure about it (or some other part of their lives).

i'm not gay myself, but i am really ashamed to be a part of the society that treats gay people like it does.

Old 11-08-2007, 02:32 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,899,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lesbian_crusader View Post
Yes, yet another discussion (let's keep it civil) on homosexuality. I find that more often than not it is in fact Christians or other religious individuals who continue to bring it up recurringly. I ask, why?

I'm a lesbian. A strong, independent, morally just lesbian. I understand your religion and your beliefs, brought about by your unwavering belief in the bible, but what I don't understand is the pervasive obsession so many Christians seem to have with discussing and debating homosexuality.

Many of you continue to ignore scientific evidence stating that because the bible says so, homosexuality is a sin. Last time I checked, all sin is created equal, and I really do not understand the obsession. As far as I'm concerned, people have the right to live their lives and do whatever they want in the privacy of their own bedrooms.

It's really none of anyone's business. Constantly being told how sinful, perverted, or doomed to hell one is for their innate, natural, and normal (to them atleast) sexual orientation is not only wrong, but hateful, disgusting, and goes against anything the alleged Jesus would have taught or preached.

Remember, according to the bible, Jesus was about love. That's why I don't understand the multitude of hate coming from so many of those who claim to follow this man's word.

At the age of 17, when I finally realized that I was a lesbian and attracted to other women, I tried to drive my car off of a bridge. I hit the support structure at 40 miles per hour and was knocked unconscious, the car practically hanging off the bridge. A kind, caring old man was driving in the opposite direction, saw this, and called the police. I had suffered massive internal and external injuries, and had it not been for this man's kindness I surely would not be alive today.

I ask, those of you who spew hatred toward gays to think about what I just wrote. Would you want to be responsible for a young person's suicide because they just found out they are gay? It's true, thousands of young gays and lesbians attempt suicide every year because a number of people (typically Christians and other religious) are so intent on spreading hatred. Why?

I keep reading people who say things like, "love the sinner, hate the sin". Or, I respect homosexuals but not their lifestyle". You might as well just say "I hate gays". Insulting someone's personal sexual preference is just that. Insulting. It really doesn't matter if you try and explain it.

So in all this, I want to know why so many Christians specifically are obsessed with homosexuality?
Yet another homosexual thread asking why Christians are so obsessed with homosexuality and who starts the thread? That's right folks, a homosexual!

So, who's obsessed?

No one's here 'spewing hate', sorry to disappoint you.

I love homosexuals. I'm also a Christian.

Old 11-08-2007, 02:34 PM

4 posts, read 9,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
Yet another homosexual thread asking why Christians are so obsessed with homosexuality and who starts the thread? That's right folks, a homosexual!

So, who's obsessed?

No one's here 'spewing hate', sorry to disappoint you.

I love homosexuals. I'm also a Christian.
Moderator cut: perilously close to a personal attack

From search I see more threads about homosexuality started from Christians.

Last edited by june 7th; 11-08-2007 at 03:00 PM..

Old 11-08-2007, 02:35 PM

3,086 posts, read 6,277,783 times
Just a point.. this post https://www.city-data.com/forum/1840617-post3.html lists most of the "gay" threads which have been discussed on this forum. I went over the list, and as far as I could tell only about 4 or 5 of them were started by people who would consider practicing homosexuality wrong behavior.. and those posts were not brought in a challenging or judgemental way, IMO. The majority of the threads were started by people who thought there was nothing wrong with homosexuality, and often tried to bring their point out in a challenging way.. of course, Christians responded.

So my question is, who is consumed and obsessed with it?

Just a thought.

(Oh, I see Alpha already brought up this point!)

Old 11-08-2007, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesbian_crusader View Post
Wow, this from a supposed "moderator"

From search I see more threads about homosexuality started from Christians.
You're brand new here, how do you know which posts are from Christians and which aren't?

Old 11-08-2007, 02:37 PM

2,180 posts, read 5,425,517 times
Why are people so consumed with this need to start a bazillion threads about homosexuality?

Old 11-08-2007, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathwalker View Post
Why are people so consumed with this need to start a bazillion threads about homosexuality?
Good point and the OP already has stated that she's familiar with the search feature.

Feel free to revive an older thread, there's plenty on this topic out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.