Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2013, 03:09 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,126,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
If you had read clearly, you would see that I understand abandoning a set of beliefs. What I don't believe a person can do is abandon the love of Christ.
I did read clearly.

Quote:
No one who truly loves Jesus can ever turn back.
I'm just explaining why you said it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2013, 03:30 PM

7,381 posts, read 7,694,475 times
Quote:
You don't.

I know because I love God, through Christ, and I love His people.
Been there and done that too. So, really we have much in common, only I've grown past it.

Old 06-17-2013, 03:57 PM

20,442 posts, read 12,793,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
Been there and done that too. So, really we have much in common, only I've grown past it.
Fair enough. I just don't believe you can grow past the love of Christ. It's like saying you can stop loving your child.

Old 06-17-2013, 04:08 PM

7,381 posts, read 7,694,475 times
Quote:
Fair enough. I just don't believe you can grow past the love of Christ. It's like saying you can stop loving your child.
Not exactly, since a child is a "part" of each parent. Still some parents do stop loving their children, for various reasons. A better analogy would be loving a spouse. If a woman falls out of love and leaves her husband because he turned out to be abusive or a cheater, one cannot conclude that she NEVER loved him.

Old 06-17-2013, 06:07 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,149,725 times
People's faith must be amazingly thin. The thought of a believer turning in to a non believer just scares the heck out of them.

Old 06-17-2013, 06:47 PM

20,442 posts, read 12,793,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
Not exactly, since a child is a "part" of each parent. Still some parents do stop loving their children, for various reasons. A better analogy would be loving a spouse. If a woman falls out of love and leaves her husband because he turned out to be abusive or a cheater, one cannot conclude that she NEVER loved him.
When a person becomes a Christian, God's Spirit indwells them. He becomes a part of us. Scripture calls it a "seal". There's no way that can be broken.

Several of you spoke of your experience. All I saw was talking about beliefs. No one talked about a relationship with Christ. There is a difference.

Old 06-17-2013, 08:18 PM

871 posts, read 3,018,814 times
How can one have a relationship with a fictional character? The majority of posters here have stated that they may have had what they thought was a relationship with Christ, and later saw the fallacy of such a belief and grew beyond it. That is the only reality I perceive. Contrary to a child who wants to have a relationship with Santa Claus, he eventually grows beyond that absurdity. Sadly, there is a huge population of adults who cannot and will not wake up and face the reality of no savior.

Old 06-17-2013, 09:08 PM

3,055 posts, read 2,928,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
No one can "make" themselves believe something they don't believe. They can pretend, they can fake it, but they cannot convince themselves that something is true if their mind/heart/soul/spirit/whatever become absolutely convinced it is not true.
That is absolutely true, and I wish more people would understand that there is nothing at all anyone can do to make themselves believe. It is not a choice. They can certainly want to believe very much and try to convince themselves, and even become quite good at pretending to. But there is nothing at all a person can do to make themselves believe. Either you do or you don't.

Quote:
But I can choose to be a kind, compassionate, caring, respectful person. I can choose to not look down on others in judgement because their beliefs or lifestyle choices are different than mine. I can choose to love. I can choose to not assume that my agnostic neighbor is going to hell, I can choose to not judge my coworkers because they like to <fill in the blank with the sin of your choice>. Much in the bible is confusing, many nitpicky points are debated ad nauseum.....but the one message of the bible that I choose to believe and follow is to love all people.
That is certainly a choice you do have; and I get the feeling that a good portion of people who do believe tend to miss that last point somehow. But then it is awfully hard to love people and so much easier to hate them. And in my experience (I am more so referring to myself personally) I have found those who believe to have so many more faults and flaws in their character than those who do not. It is so much easier to be selfish and hate others.

Quote:
IF there is a god, I think s/he likes the person I am now better than who I was before.
I want to believe this is true.

Last edited by Basiliximab; 06-17-2013 at 09:24 PM..

Old 06-17-2013, 09:17 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,731,784 times
Quote:
Trust me, some can. Especially if they turn atheist. But then you can say that they never really loved them in the first place... uh, no....better make that they failed to be worthy of that love....or they are still 'Loved' but in a sorta tough way designed to coax them back to faith.

Old 06-17-2013, 09:27 PM

3,055 posts, read 2,928,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
We just know that there is no true believer that we can be sure of as being immune to doubt and questioning.
I know at least my faith is weak at times. Coming from a scientific background, I find it rather absurd to believe in something for which there is no objective evidence. To me, doubt and questioning is just natural, a consequence of existing in the physical world; there's no one alive who is perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eloyfan View Post
How can one have a relationship with a fictional character? The majority of posters here have stated that they may have had what they thought was a relationship with Christ, and later saw the fallacy of such a belief and grew beyond it. That is the only reality I perceive. Contrary to a child who wants to have a relationship with Santa Claus, he eventually grows beyond that absurdity. Sadly, there is a huge population of adults who cannot and will not wake up and face the reality of no savior.
For me it is just impossible to explain (in a way that would make any sense) to someone who hasn't had the experience. Perhaps someone else can, but it's just not something that I can do. I understand your point of view though. To me it makes perfect sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality