Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2016, 09:35 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,817,167 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
Church dress code is constantly changing. To illustrate that, here's a quote from George Carlin: "When I was a kid they used to tell em to remove my hat before I entered the church, I had to remove my hat to show respect to God, but they also told me that God was everywhere! so, I thought, why even own a ******* hat?"

Remember, they also used to force women to wear hats in church. Dress code is not something people should care about, and if it bothers you so much, try Islam. They have a GREAT dress code policy!
It's enforcing conformity through social disapprobation. Another phrase for that is 'political correctness'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2016, 10:43 AM

23,161 posts, read 10,455,314 times
I think it should be a law for all women to wear those 1950's dresses, just cause they were too cool, and why would you ever change from being too cool?

Old 06-05-2016, 01:03 PM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westender View Post
As WWII was ending, and as our advancing troops were discovering the horror of the Nazi gulag, Allied officers ordered the local German populations to don their "Sonntagskleidung, " their best Sunday outfits, and then marched them at gunpoint through a tour of their camps.

This thread made me recall those old newsreel photos: the contrast of how people (used to) dress for church and the depravity of which mankind is capable.
In the book, The Liberators: America's Witnesses to the Holocaust, there are photos of the dressed-up Germans carrying the emaciated corpses of the dead who were stacked like cordwood in the camps. The Allies made them bury them.

Old 06-06-2016, 03:05 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,227,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodtype View Post
In "my day" I remember wearing a suit and tie every time I went to Church. Now when I go people wear tired torn tee shirts and faded jeans. Maybe this is not the case all over the country. Maybe "down south" people still have some self respect and wear their Sunday best in Church.

What do you think about casual clothes vs dressing up for Church? How is it at your place of worship?
I too think we have strayed from the original means of presenting ourselves to God. I am going to start a movement demanding that we all be mandated to return to the days of yore..

We must all go NAKED to church, just as Adam and Steve did in the Garden--AS GOD INTENDED HUMANITY TO BE---FREE AND OPEN!

Old 06-06-2016, 05:01 PM

20,005 posts, read 13,486,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
I too think we have strayed from the original means of presenting ourselves to God. I am going to start a movement demanding that we all be mandated to return to the days of yore..

We must all go NAKED to church, just as Adam and Steve did in the Garden--AS GOD INTENDED HUMANITY TO BE---FREE AND OPEN!
This reminds me of the Amish argument that "modern conveniences" are bad in some way ... that they turn people away from god and the simple life and their connection to the land and so forth.

But ... they use horses and buggies, saws, metal plows ... which were all "modern conveniences" at one time.

They use the wheel, and fire ... pretty much the first "modern conveniences" when they were invented.

By their logic they should not use even stone tools ... or wear clothes. Or practice agriculture. They should run around naked, trying to catch animals to eat raw. Being careful not to invent the "modern convenience" of cooperative hunting techniques in the process. Or living off wild berries -- but only as many as they can stuff in their mouth and carry in their god-given hands. No buckets allowed.

Nostalgia for Sunday Best also reminds me that "Sunday best" was just a social convention of one relatively wealthy Western society. Its association with respect for god is of no actual significance whatsoever. It could just as well be seen as an obscene focus on material wealth, a prideful desire to impress others, etc. And I'm sure that's just what it's seen as by some Christians, particularly in poorer parts of the world.

Old 06-07-2016, 03:08 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,707,908 times
Good points. The reality is that there is no defensible foundation for reactionaryism, or for opposition of progressivism. Yet that doesn't stop people from putting an arbitrary pin in the timeline and saying that everything should be the way (they think) things were then. What even more important is that it is irrational to expect that everyone will be in lockstep with everyone else. Human progress is a natural system and will progress in a natural manner, not with absolute synchronization. Part of what progressivism teaches is respect for all these realities, including this last one.

Old 06-07-2016, 07:29 AM

12,387 posts, read 8,155,775 times
The thing about the Sunday's Best suit is that the high suit was a holdover as the suit dies in the rest of society. You can look at old news reels and that suit was worn by spectators going to baseball games and travelers on airplanes. As the utility of the jacket that added unwanted warmth in hot climates but remained open in cooler climates and a piece of fabric to hide the buttons is just in the process of being dropped generally. Soldiers now where battle dress in situations where they used to wear cheaper versions of the suit.

And the gender specific clothing, a dress not trousers for women, is being dropped even going further then the male's fabric stand in for a knights and royalties armored suit

Old 06-07-2016, 08:27 AM

5,912 posts, read 2,605,673 times
god doesn't care if you have a tie or dress. It only cares that you wear a hat.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=djSp1NVsTrI

Old 06-07-2016, 08:30 AM

6,961 posts, read 4,617,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
I think it should be a law for all women to wear those 1950's dresses, just cause they were too cool, and why would you ever change from being too cool?
I am wearing a tutu with combat boots today. Does that count? I promise to add pearls Although my dress tutu is black.

Old 06-07-2016, 08:38 AM

243 posts, read 230,396 times
A young man shows up at church for the first time, dressed in torn jeans, ragged T-shirt, beat up sneakers. The pastor collars him instantly.

"Young man is that how you dress to come to God's house?"

"Well this is how I always dress sir."

"I want you to go home and pray, I want you to ask the Lord how you should be dressed in His house!"

Next Sunday young man returns, dressed in the same clothes.

Pastor: "Young man, didn't I tell you to ask the Lord how you should dress to come to His house here?"

"Yes sir, and I did."

"And what did God tell you young man?"

"Well sir, he said he couldn't tell me because he's never been here."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality