Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 09:02 PM

938 posts, read 1,514,756 times

Advertisements

I was reading this post in the Judaism forum that a fundamentalist had written. Yes, there are such things as Jewish fundamentalists. They're a rare breed in America which is full of Jews like Jon Stewart and Woody Allen but they make up more than 10% of Jews in Israel:

Quote:
reading books of idolatry is [forbidden].

Judaism doesn't allow us to entertain ideas by jews who disagree with judaism.
And it made me think of the phenomena of clerics banning a book and the ignorant masses forming an angry mob against the heretic, without ever having read the book themselves! It's what happened with the Satanic Verses in Islam, where people died because of supposed blasphemy based on hearsay and rumor. "Oh, you can't read that book, it mocks the Prophet". "How?" "I don't know where, but I know it does so it's evil"

My question is: if clerics are banning books or ideas, doesn't that mean that the clerics, who are supposedly righteous and pious people to emulate, have read the books and ideas themselves?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2013, 09:04 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,174,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usuario View Post
...snip...

My question is: if clerics are banning books or ideas, doesn't that mean that the clerics, who are supposedly righteous and pious people to emulate, have read the books and ideas themselves?
Either that, or they trust certain reviewers.

Old 07-10-2013, 07:25 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,702,134 times
Was there some reason you thought that hypocrisy among such clerics was off the table?

Old 07-10-2013, 08:05 AM

They're scholars who use reasoning, at least within their religion's laws of hermeneutics, and should know better.

And if the clerics are banning books and ideas based on trusted reviewers, shouldn't the reviewers be excommunicated for reading heresy?

I hate it when I hear mainstream Christians say "stay away from the Mormons / Unitarian Universalists, it's a cult", and when you ask them why they think that, they don't know, other than falsehoods that circulate in their own community.

Old 07-10-2013, 10:25 AM

864 posts, read 870,835 times
Quote:
reading books of idolatry is [forbidden].
Judaism doesn't allow us to entertain ideas by Jews who disagree with Judaism.
Hey, that was me. The fundamentalist. Was that supposed to be an insult?

Newsflash #1: Judaism CLEARLY forbids idolatry in all its forms, including thought. There's no gray area.

If you want to talk about christian clerics, and Islamists issuing fatwas, do so with pleasure. But this has no connection to the Torah forbidding idolatry.

Old 07-10-2013, 04:46 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,736,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usuario View Post

Other religions outside of Judaism, do not have it written in B/W as Judaism does. So someone within their religions in authority does read and check these books out and states if they are allowed or not.

Judaism is no different when things fall into a grey area when its not directly understood from the Torah. This is a reason why we have the Talmud, a series of books containing arguments.

Old 07-10-2013, 07:07 PM

4,729 posts, read 4,362,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwishiwerethin View Post
Hey, that was me. The fundamentalist. Was that supposed to be an insult?
I definitely read that to be an insult, calling you a fundamentalist. I think the OP is trying to say the Torah and the people who guard it are out of touch with reality. And during the 9 days. Shame shame.

Old 07-10-2013, 10:30 PM

Quote:
I definitely read that to be an insult, calling you a fundamentalist. I think the OP is trying to say the Torah and the people who guard it are out of touch with reality. And during the 9 days. Shame shame.
I'm proud to be a fundamentalist

Old 07-11-2013, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
I definitely read that to be an insult, calling you a fundamentalist. I think the OP is trying to say the Torah and the people who guard it are out of touch with reality.
There are many modern Orthodox people and rabbis who guard the Torah and who are in touch with reality. They are perfectly comfortable with learning about other people's beliefs because they're secure enough in their own. People who think their way and their sect are the only ways, e.g. by representing their particular belief system as the only valid form of their own religion, and closing their minds to any viewpoint other than the one they believe in are the fundamentalists.

Quote:
And during the 9 days. Shame shame.
I think that not listening to Jews who have different beliefs is more sinat chinam than anything.

Last edited by usuario; 07-11-2013 at 08:58 PM..

Old 07-12-2013, 09:11 AM

Quote:
There are many modern Orthodox people and rabbis who guard the Torah and who are in touch with reality.
Hashem and Torah are reality. Everything else is smokescreens and illusions.

Quote:
I think that not listening to Jews who have different beliefs is more sinat chinam than anything.
The only belief Jews should have are Torah beliefs. Anything else is heretical.

No. That's not Sinas Chinam. Sinas Chinam is calling the population of G-d fearing Jews, who incidentally are those who carry the torch from Mt. Sinai, fundamentalists just because...

Sinas Chinam means baseless hatred--baseless according to Torah guidelines. Torah guidelines call for exclusion of ideas that run antithetical to Judaism, even if they're stated by Rabbis with long beards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality