Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2013, 06:11 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,919,895 times

Advertisements

The genesis of this question is a series of questions a Christian ask over in the atheist forum.

As example most probably are aware that the Jesus of the Bible could not have been born on December 25th. That date was traditionally celebrated by pagans as the winter solstice because it was the first day that was noticeable but the nights were not as long. The same goes for Easter which was the celebration of the spring equinox.

Then we go on to the days of the week. They celebrate the pagan Sun God the pagan moon God the pagan Thor and Freya the goddess of love.

Does it bother you that these blatant pagan symbols and celebrations are central with your lives as Christians? If so what and how would you change it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2013, 06:21 AM

741 posts, read 1,288,361 times
Why should it be changed, do you actually worship Thor on Thursday? Think of it as the remains of our collective social and cultural history as a global species.

Should we tear down the remains of the parthanon or temples in Greece and Rome because they were associated with other gods in our distant human past?

Try to enjoy the richness of the human experience.

Old 09-19-2013, 06:26 AM

2,817 posts, read 3,460,887 times
i could care less for those days. I never tell my kids that He was born on that day. they know he was not. it will be a lie for me to just tell them such a thing.
I do know the history, and the way it came and crept into the Christian tradition. you can see it happen now with churches. they celebrate Halloween. they call it "fall festival" some even allow mask and all the holiday stuff. I even heard it called hallelujah-fest.
I don't go to church, I do the teaching in my home. if it is on a sunday, so be it. if I don't feel like doing it that day, I do it Wednesday, Monday, basically whenever I feel like it. but I do like to teach my family 1 or 2 times per week.
basically those days that people celebrate don't bother me. I just get irritated when they insist that Christ was born on that day. it is from paganism.

Old 09-19-2013, 06:47 AM

6,822 posts, read 6,633,481 times
There is a Scripture verse that states (I believe in Ecclesiastes) that with much knowledge comes sorrow.

I must admit, the more I have come across the various material that demonstrates the Paganism of society it not only brings sorrow, but absolute shock.

When one truly settles down and sees this rebellion against God unfolding it is mind shattering.

And it is TERRIBLE that we so freely endorse so many things God hates.

I do believe this nation (and possibly this world soon) is ripe for Judgment.

We all best just submit and seek God in JESUS Christ with all our hearts because the Bible does not paint a pretty picture for those that are in this rebellion. Stay in the love of God through submission and obedience to Jesus Christ in His Word.

In Christ << My earnest prayer and hope

Mike

"He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him." John 3:36

Old 09-19-2013, 06:55 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,919,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelee81 View Post
There is a Scripture verse that states (I believe in Ecclesiastes) that with much knowledge comes sorrow.

I must admit, the more I have come across the various material that demonstrates the Paganism of society it not only brings sorrow, but absolute shock.

When one truly settles down and sees this rebellion against God unfolding it is mind shattering.

And it is TERRIBLE that we so freely endorse so many things God hates.

I do believe this nation (and possibly this world soon) is ripe for Judgment.

We all best just submit and seek God in JESUS Christ with all our hearts because the Bible does not paint a pretty picture for those that are in this rebellion. Stay in the love of God through submission and obedience to Jesus Christ in His Word.

In Christ << My earnest prayer and hope

Mike

"He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him." John 3:36
But you're aware that many of these pagan practices adopted by the early Christians. We as a society have just accepted them.

Old 09-19-2013, 07:06 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,339,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
The genesis of this question is a series of questions a Christian ask over in the atheist forum.

As example most probably are aware that the Jesus of the Bible could not have been born on December 25th. That date was traditionally celebrated by pagans as the winter solstice because it was the first day that was noticeable but the nights were not as long. The same goes for Easter which was the celebration of the spring equinox.

Then we go on to the days of the week. They celebrate the pagan Sun God the pagan moon God the pagan Thor and Freya the goddess of love.

Does it bother you that these blatant pagan symbols and celebrations are central with your lives as Christians? If so what and how would you change it?
The actual date of the birth of Jesus is unknown. So a date was needed for celebration.

This is part of the evolution of Christianity.

Lastly, God does not care about these petty things.

Old 09-19-2013, 07:11 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,147,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
But you're aware that many of these pagan practices adopted by the early Christians. We as a society have just accepted them.
Well, the Eucharist was lifted wholesale from the Greek mystery cults. And there were dozens upon dozens of virgin births ascribed to various personages before Christ. Yet the genius of Christianity was to take what was good, familiar, and comforting to the ancient world to help describe the hope of Christ to mankind. So, no, it doesn't bother me. Besides, if you spend your time sweeping away the relics of the past in order to invent something completely new to describe the present, you're going to have to totally remake the faith every few years or so.

Old 09-19-2013, 07:39 AM

1,075 posts, read 1,772,183 times
If the worst vestiges of paganism we have in our time are holidays and names of days of the week, I'll take that over child sacrifice any time.

The early church was literally surrounded by paganism. These days, it's the other way around.

Old 09-19-2013, 07:44 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,339,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Well, the Eucharist was lifted wholesale from the Greek mystery cults. And there were dozens upon dozens of virgin births ascribed to various personages before Christ. Yet the genius of Christianity was to take what was good, familiar, and comforting to the ancient world to help describe the hope of Christ to mankind. So, no, it doesn't bother me. Besides, if you spend your time sweeping away the relics of the past in order to invent something completely new to describe the present, you're going to have to totally remake the faith every few years or so.
Excellent post:

The OP would have to do away with ALL Tradition. And this is practically impossible. Even the first Jewish Christians borrowed from Judaism to worship.

Old 09-19-2013, 07:58 AM

4,686 posts, read 6,137,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
The actual date of the birth of Jesus is unknown. So a date was needed for celebration.

This is part of the evolution of Christianity.

Lastly, God does not care about these petty things.
Going by scriptures, the closest we could come to Jesus birthday would be during the Feast of Tabernacles, but no now knows which day of the 8 days it could have happened.

God does tell us do not worship God in the same manner that the pagans worship their gods as it is a abomination to him.

But God also examines peoples hearts and im sure Christians are not worshiping Nimrod or any other form of Sun God idols on these holidays.

Last edited by SAAN; 09-19-2013 at 07:59 AM.. Reason: typo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality