Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2013, 01:01 AM

4,751 posts, read 5,438,862 times

Advertisements

Even if you don't follow it anymore?

I grew up Catholic, but was a big questioner, even as a child, and I rejected it as a teen and for virtually all of my adult life. My kids did go to Catholic school for several years, but mostly because it was the best option in the area.

I have spent many years studying religions and always with a skeptical eye.

Recently, though, I have been thinking about the church lately. It started with the election of the new Pope, who I really like a lot. I think he could do a lot of good things in the church and maybe get it back on the path of helping and protecting people. I also recently watched a movie called "The Way" with Martin Sheen (which was very well done, btw, whatever you believe). And I just returned from a family wedding. The only time I am at a Catholic church anymore is for weddings/baptisms/funerals.

Bear in mind I don't agree with the majority of what the Catholic church teaches, I'm not a Christian, I think the scandals that have been taking place for decades are just atrocious and go against everything we were taught as kids about protecting the weak, comforting and loving our neighbors, being a light in the world, etc. But sometimes I feel a longing for the church community.

Have any of you experienced this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2013, 01:44 AM

33,536 posts, read 37,136,097 times
I was brought up a Catholic and educated in Catholic schools....I moved on in my late teens and have no wish to return.

Old 09-23-2013, 04:04 AM

7,381 posts, read 7,692,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBeam33 View Post

I grew up Catholic, but was a big questioner, even as a child, and I rejected it as a teen and for virtually all of my adult life. My kids did go to Catholic school for several years, but mostly because it was the best option in the area.

Recently, though, I have been thinking about the church lately. It started with the election of the new Pope, who I really like a lot. I think he could do a lot of good things in the church and maybe get it back on the path of helping and protecting people. I also recently watched a movie called "The Way" with Martin Sheen (which was very well done, btw, whatever you believe). And I just returned from a family wedding. The only time I am at a Catholic church anymore is for weddings/baptisms/funerals.

Bear in mind I don't agree with the majority of what the Catholic church teaches, I'm not a Christian, I think the scandals that have been taking place for decades are just atrocious and go against everything we were taught as kids about protecting the weak, comforting and loving our neighbors, being a light in the world, etc. But sometimes I feel a longing for the church community.

Having a church family, as I once experienced, can be a somewhat positive attribute to religion. So, I can understand your wish to return to "the good ol' days". But, the other positive aspects that you mentioned, helping and protecting people, can better be done through secular means where these needy people aren't required to listen to a sermon to earn their food, for example.

Old 09-23-2013, 06:33 AM

741 posts, read 1,288,524 times
Ni, I don't long for it.
Our Religion was a strange hodge podge of non-catholic junk. That combined with my mother's random spoutings about the bible and God. Not sure what you would classify it as.
Going to church was confusing, boring but in the end eye opening. It was hard during my late teens to stifle the snickers and laughs at the "adults" buying into the whole bit. Just all seemed kind of funny. It was just hard to watch all the authority figures walk around fearing gays, "protesting" Pokeman, railing against Harry Potter, curious about everyone's vaginal status and take it seriously.

Sorry, but it is hard to watch people do religion to themselves, it always reminds me those commercials "This is your brain, this is your brain on drugs" if you get my meaning.

Old 09-23-2013, 06:57 AM

19,999 posts, read 13,475,998 times
There was a little wistfulness in the very beginning after I left the faith, but that was two decades ago ... nothing since.

In all honesty I haven't found any real difference in the sense of community I feel in or outside of the church, so the church is no great loss to me.

Old 09-23-2013, 07:03 AM

3,402 posts, read 2,788,286 times
I don't miss it. There was a sense of community, and belonging to an extent, but only if you keep up the facade. Keep serving, don't say no when the church "needs" you , or you will be on the outside.

I have a looser knit community now, but my friends now accept me for who I am, not who I want to be, or who I pretend to be. There are no expectations, no demands, only people enjoying each other's company, lending a hand, and watching out for each other.

-NoCapo

Old 09-23-2013, 07:06 AM

9,455 posts, read 12,545,216 times
Parents were atheists. Atheism? No thanks.

Old 09-23-2013, 07:58 AM

4,883 posts, read 6,211,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBeam33 View Post

When the Catholic church starts selling off the abundant wealth that they horde and starts actually helping people...people might consider taking them seriously. Just saying...

Old 09-23-2013, 08:06 AM

2,538 posts, read 3,876,563 times
Definitely don't miss the church community. Always thought of them as a bunch of hypocrites that just repent for their bad behavior on Sunday mornings, or by hitting up the confessional. Meh. I like my small circle of accepting friends, and spending quiet, lazy Sunday mornings with my family. However, I do enjoy the architecture of churches around the world, but that has nothing to do with the message their peddling.

Old 09-23-2013, 11:42 AM

15,501 posts, read 17,075,596 times
Having grown up in the Catholic Church during an era when the Mass was still said in Latin and the Sunday High Mass was a Traditional Gregorian Mass. I do have a lot of fond memories.

I did enjoy and was awed over the ruffles and trimmings of the old Mass. especially since I was in basically an Old country community. There was a beauty and sense of wonder that was quite awesome.

While I cherish the memories and am glad I experienced them, I have no desire to return to the past.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality