Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Christ a state of mind, or is a man?
Christ is a higher consciousness that can be attained by devotion and after many lifes. 3 21.43%
Jesus is the one and only Christ, there can't be no others. 8 57.14%
I don't believe in this things, scientific consciousnes is my take. 2 14.29%
I don't care 1 7.14%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 08:44 AM

3,162 posts, read 11,437,580 times

Advertisements

I had my doubts whether to place this post here or in the christianism section, but I decided to post it here because it covers the Christ consciousness into a more global scope regarding several religions.

Is Christ a man, or is a higher concsiousness?

Was Jesus the only Christ or there have been more Christs around?

let's see some interesting concepts first

Ahamkara or the son of man

Ahamkara - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Ahamkara is a Sanskrit term that refers to egoism, that is the ego of one's self, the identification of one's own ego. It is the belief of self-consciousness or "I-ness" and the tendency to identify oneself with external phenomena, "The I-maker." Even though it is not discussed in great detail in the Bhagavad Gita, Lord Krishna says to Arjun that it must be removed.

Atman or the son of god

Atman (Hinduism) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Atman is a philosophical term used within Hinduism and Vedanta to identify the soul. It is one's true self (hence generally translated into English as 'Self') beyond identification with the phenomenal reality of worldly existence

Higher consciousness or Christ consciousness.

Higher consciousness - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Higher consciousness, also called super consciousness (Yoga), Buddhic consciousness (Theosophy), cosmic consciousness and God-consciousness (Sufism and Hinduism), Christ consciousness (New Thought) -to name but a few--are expressions used in various spiritual traditions to denote the consciousness of a human being who has reached a higher level of evolutionary development and who has come to know reality as it is. Evolution in this sense is not that which occurs by natural selection over generations of human reproduction but evolution brought about by the application of spiritual knowledge to the conduct of human life. Through the application of such knowledge (traditionally the preserve of the world's great religions) to practical self-management, the awakening and development of faculties dormant in the ordinary human being is achieved. These faculties are aroused by and developed in conjunction with certain dispositions of character such as patience, kindness, truthfulness, humility and forgiveness towards one's fellow man – qualities without which higher consciousness is not possible.

Some quotes about the Christ consciousness

Julia K. Fenderson
Above all else, God-consciousness is the most longed-for and sought-after experience of religious man. source (broken link)

Flower A. Newhouse
God consciousness is the need and goal of our existence. The Christward Way

Danavir Swami

God Consciousness is what we are here for. It's the unfinished business we have left. source

Swami Lakshman Joo
To make it clear, at the time of God-realization nothing new is realised; on the contrary, the Yogi feels that this state of God-consciousness which he was experiencing was already known to him.
In this school of recognition, Abhinavagupta says, the state of God-consciousness is already there. He comes to the conclusion that in this universe you have to see and realise the Kingdom of God-consciousness only everywhere and nothing else. source

Ronald L. Mann, PhD

From a spiritual perspective, ego is the aspect of self that experiences a separation from God. Ego-consciousness is believing that "I" am in total control of "my" life, that "I" am the total creator of "my" existence. The inherent limitation of this notion is that it does not allow for the full, expansive understanding and experience of God-consciousness. This limited ego-identity creates a contracted and reduced field of awareness. source (http://awakeninglove.com/spiritual/ - broken link)

So, what's your take?

Peace, Love, Light and Harmony
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2007, 03:18 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,235,190 times
I only know that the ego is only concerned about the body, because without a body you'll die.
But if your ego does not recognize that other people also have a body, the ego can become a tool of evil. It is not that the ego is necessarily evil, but it will do (most) anything to make sure that the body survives.
Sometimes the ego and your survival instincts are one and the same.

Old 11-21-2007, 04:17 AM

3,162 posts, read 11,437,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
I only know that the ego is only concerned about the body, because without a body you'll die.
But if your ego does not recognize that other people also have a body, the ego can become a tool of evil. It is not that the ego is necessarily evil, but it will do (most) anything to make sure that the body survives.
Sometimes the ego and your survival instincts are one and the same.
This is 100% true Tricky, unless you've obtained kaivalya or liberation, you'll need to learn how to tame the ego and work with it until you leave this material plane.

That's the basis of yoga, by instrospection, unselfish action and meditation you begin to dechipher your ego and the mistakes it makes you do, you also arouse and train the warriors from the soul, like self control, willpower, introspection, extreme dispassion for mundane things, etc.

That's what the bhagavad gita is about, every warrior be it from the soul's army (pandu clan) or from the ego army (kuru clan) needs to wage the war of kurukshetras (the battle for the bodily kingdom) until the pandu clan can win it.

Ego is represented as Bhishma in the bhagavad gita

Bhishma - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It is the invincible warrior that even the most fearless soldiers of the pandu clan respect, he can't be defeated by normal means, but at the end of the story he chooses to die only after knowing that the pandus had won, it is then when he reveals the only way to be killed, only the sun could do this.

Quote:
Then King Yudhisthira ordered his army, "All rush at Ganga's son! Do
not be afraid!" With these words, the Pandava army assaulted Bhishma with
their upraised weapons. Releasing hundreds of arrows, Arjuna pierced Bhishma
in every part of his body. Indeed, there was not a two fingered breadth of
space where there was not an arrow. Mangled in this way, the aged grandsire
of the Kuru dynasty fell from his chariot to the ground. Great sounds of
lamentation were heard from the Kaurava divisions. When the grandsire fell
from his chariot, the hearts of the Kauravas fell with him. It was as if one
of the heavenly gods had fallen. He fell down from his chariot with his head
facing the eastern direction. Knowing the sun was in an inauspicious course,
he did not allow his soul to leave his body. Because his mortal frame was
pierced with many arrows, he did not touch the ground. At that time, Bhishma
looked divine. The clouds poured a cool shower, and the earth trembled.
Seeing her son fallen from his chariot, Ganga sent rishis in swan-like form.
Circumambulating him, they requested him not to leave his body until the sun
had entered its northern course. He then spoke to them, "I will never pass
from this world while the sun is in its southern route. I will proceed from
this world when the sun changes to its northern passage." The celestial
swans then again entered the heavens and informed Ganga of her son's
decision.
What this really meant? that he will only be killed in the light of self realization.

Some advanced yogis decide they don't have any remaining business in this world and renounce to their material bodies in mahasamadhi.

Mahasamadhi - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So in essence we need the ego, because it's part of us, and we'll live with it until we leave this body at death, but if ego is not restraint and some limits are imposed to it, it can cause us and others great suffering.

Know thy enemy so you can be prepared to defeat it.

Ego Defense Mechanisms in Psychology 101 at AllPsych Online

Even though I don't share the western view on psychology that it's entirely centered in the ego, they've come with some tools to help us understand it, imho india's psychology which is based in the soul and self realization is much better.

Quote:
To the dying grandsire, the invincible Bhishma
Stretched on a bed of arrows in the battle front.
Hear his words "There is a unity, consciousness,
permeating all forms of life from the lowest to the highest.
Know that as the Sath; evident to seers
as the palm of their hand. Of the several ways
of seeing this Truth ,devotion is the easiest and most pleasant too.
I have told this before. Still out of kindness I repeat
"Hearing with love my immortal stories,
By constant singing of my Bhajans.,
Giving up wealth and all enjoyment for my sake
One gets O! Udhava, my divine grace.
And then there is nothing more to gain.
One thus involved in devotion gains with ease,
Wisdom, power and all powerful dispassion.
Final note, if someone is wondering what does this has to do with christ? very easily, a human being which attained self realization has attained the Christ consciousness.

a human being who has attained the Christ consciousness and leave this earth either by natural death or mahasamadhi has reached the highest level, Cosmic consciousness

Krsna, Arjuna's spiritual advisor is the Christ of India, Arjuna here represents the simple man, the devotee which wants to be free, and is willing to fight the battle of kurukshetras to it's last consequences.

Arm yourself spiritual warriors, be brave and get ready for the battle of your lifes!

Peace, Love, Light, Harmony

Last edited by Travelling fella; 11-21-2007 at 05:35 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality