Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2013, 01:59 PM

53 posts, read 155,748 times

Advertisements

So I'll start this with saying I believe in "God". I believe in some sort of higher power. I do not however in any way shape or form believe in any of the man made religions. They are far too corrupted, self serving &, quite frankly, ridiculous in my humble opinion.
How can anyone possibly believe in one? Outside of being indoctrinated in their youth to believe it? There are so many different ones to believe in, all claiming to be right, nearly all claiming if you aren't living life the way they say - you will go to hell. So many that are corrupted & hateful of other peace loving people. Without meaning to offend, I find *some* religions very sad.
Anyways, I was just curious to see if there is anyone else out there that might possibly share my thoughts? I was atheist for many years until I encountered some unbelievable coincidences that my human brain interpreted to not be realistically possible without some type of intervention by an unseen power.
I don't claim to be right, but based on my life's experiences, this is the belief that has worked for me and left me at peace.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2013, 02:04 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,203,094 times
We share similar beliefs. You are not alone.

Old 10-29-2013, 02:08 PM

20,024 posts, read 13,501,689 times
Still an atheist here but if I were going to be some sort of arm's length theist it would look like what you're talking about. You are definitely not alone, I'm sure Miss Hepburn and others are not far behind with their input and welcome.

Old 10-29-2013, 02:47 PM

63,840 posts, read 40,128,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minus Florida View Post
So I'll start this with saying I believe in "God". I believe in some sort of higher power. I do not however in any way shape or form believe in any of the man made religions. They are far too corrupted, self serving, quite frankly, ridiculous in my humble opinion.
How can anyone possibly believe in one? Outside of being indoctrinated in their youth to believe it? There are so many different ones to believe in, all claiming to be right, nearly all claiming if you aren't living life the way they say - you will go to hell. So many that are corrupted & hateful of other peace loving people. Without meaning to offend, I find *some* religions very sad.
Anyways, I was just curious to see if there is anyone else out there that might possibly share my thoughts? I was atheist for many years until I encountered some unbelievable coincidences that my human brain interpreted to not be realistically possible without some type of intervention by an unseen power.
I don't claim to be right, but based on my life's experiences, this is the belief that has worked for me and left me at peace.
Welcome. You are not alone. Religions have a lot to answer for. They carry a heavy burden. We all are called in different ways . . . but usually in unmistakable ways. Sadly too many of us ignore or reject the call for myriad reasons . . . religions being a major factor. When my atheism was stripped from me I embarked on a decades long search for answers. Ironically it led me to Christ . . . initially because the consciousness I encountered embodied what was described about Christ. My further efforts convinced me of its truth.

Old 10-29-2013, 03:03 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,401,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
We share similar beliefs. You are not alone.
Ditto.
Except I would add my "dislike" for org religions and what they teach outweighs
many here.

Old 10-29-2013, 03:46 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,518,681 times
I agree with many here, Minus Florida, you are not alone. Until I came to this forum I thought I was alone, different, unloved and unworthy because I had finally taken a stand to leave organized religions and become like a child and allow the Spirit to reform me. Personal experiences with different denominations and many years of reasoning have led me in a different direction away from all organized religion and their many doctrines. Once I put my trust in what is being taught to me from within my heart/soul/mind/gut feeling, I am spiritually in touch with the creator. I follow only the teachings of Christ who taught us a different God than who is depicted and believed in the OT. There is much wisdom within the books of the bible written by man (not God). I do not claim I possess the truth, therefore I do not debate doctrine or scripture, simply because I feel none of us holds the truth in this life. I am trying very hard to forgive the past by telling myself if it hadn't happened I would never have sought the peace that only the pure love of our creator can offer.

Old 10-29-2013, 05:29 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,657,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minus Florida View Post
So I'll start this with saying I believe in "God". I believe in some sort of higher power. I do not however in any way shape or form believe in any of the man made religions. They are far too corrupted, self serving &, quite frankly, ridiculous in my humble opinion.
There are many more than you would think that have caught the same vibe (or similar) you have: Perception of GOD--no religion added/needed.
Count me among them.

Old 10-29-2013, 06:07 PM

2,440 posts, read 3,433,104 times
I have no problem with religion because in itself, it is not the culprit any more than you can blame a car for hitting and injuring someone. I am also well aware that many organized religions today are guilty of hypocrisy and countless atrocities. But religion is merely the regular practice of worship or faith. That act in itself, can never be attributed to malicious intent. But many people have understandably abandoned organized religion because they believe it has led to hypocrisy and intolerance. Others feel that organized religion is nothing but a superfluous middleman between God and his worshippers.Yet, these factors are still not enough reason for me repudiate organized religion. I hold out that there must be a religion on earth that is organized to show love to all people—a religion that is organized to educate others about God’s moral principles. A religion that can help us to build genuine faith. I believe that the Bible can provide the necessary clues that can help us find it.

I dont subscribe to the idea of everyone being a loose association of spiritually-minded individuals. For example, true Christians were intended to merge into a tight community of faith. The Bible exhorts them to speak in agreement, to avoid divisions, and to be "fitly united in the same mind and in the same line of thought." (1 Corinthians 1:10) Those words would make little sense if God wanted people to worship him only as individuals, improvising apart from one another. The is clear evidence from the Bible that actually points to an organized form of worship as the kind that is acceptable to God. And the organized religion that the Scriptures describe, the one that God sponsors, can give you the support you require to be successful in satisfying your spiritual needs.—Matthew 5:3.

Old 10-29-2013, 06:35 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,203,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Opinionated View Post
I have no problem with religion because in itself, it is not the culprit any more than you can blame a car for hitting and injuring someone. I am also well aware that many organized religions today are guilty of hypocrisy and countless atrocities. But religion is merely the regular practice of worship or faith. That act in itself, can never be attributed to malicious intent. But many people have understandably abandoned organized religion because they believe it has led to hypocrisy and intolerance. Others feel that organized religion is nothing but a superfluous middleman between God and his worshippers.Yet, these factors are still not enough reason for me repudiate organized religion. I hold out that there must be a religion on earth that is organized to show love to all people—a religion that is organized to educate others about God’s moral principles. A religion that can help us to build genuine faith. I believe that the Bible can provide the necessary clues that can help us find it.

I dont subscribe to the idea of everyone being a loose association of spiritually-minded individuals. For example, true Christians were intended to merge into a tight community of faith. The Bible exhorts them to speak in agreement, to avoid divisions, and to be "fitly united in the same mind and in the same line of thought." (1 Corinthians 1:10) Those words would make little sense if God wanted people to worship him only as individuals, improvising apart from one another. The is clear evidence from the Bible that actually points to an organized form of worship as the kind that is acceptable to God. And the organized religion that the Scriptures describe, the one that God sponsors, can give you the support you require to be successful in satisfying your spiritual needs.—Matthew 5:3.
When you realize you can reason, understand, and in all ways function without using the crutch of the bible, I believe you'll also learn you can dance.

Old 10-29-2013, 08:00 PM

63,840 posts, read 40,128,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Opinionated View Post
Organized religion has corrupted the original intent of gathering together as followers of Christ in "love of God and each other." It has focused on specific beliefs ABOUT Christ . . . as if that would matter to God or Jesus as long as they follow His instructions to "love God and each other" daily and repent when they don't. Belief in Christ ONLY matters if it leads you to actually follow what He instructed His disciples to do in fellowship. Everything else is human vanity and hubris fostering division and dissension over meaningless differences in would-be "exclusive clubs." Christ was NEVER exclusive. He was always inclusive and God is no respecter of persons. Religions have become major stumbling blocks to spiritual maturity . . . and they carry a heavy burden.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality