Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2013, 06:23 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,065,499 times

Advertisements

I found this post on another thread and I'm curious as to how Christians would respond to it.
"The South believed in the Bible and the Good Book allowed the model nation of Israel to own bondservants.

Read these words in Leviticus and other places where God allows slavery.

(Lev 25:39 KJV) And if thy brother that dwelleth by thee be waxen poor, and be sold unto thee; thou shalt not compel him to serve as a bondservant:

(Lev 25:40 KJV) But as an hired servant, and as a sojourner, he shall be with thee, and shall serve thee unto the year of jubile:

(Lev 25:41 KJV) And then shall he depart from thee, both he and his children with him, and shall return unto his own family, and unto the possession of his fathers shall he return.

(Lev 25:42 KJV) For they are my servants, which I brought forth out of the land of Egypt: they shall not be sold as bondmen.

(Lev 25:43 KJV) Thou shalt not rule over him with rigour; but shalt fear thy God.

(Lev 25:44 KJV) Both thy bondmen, and thy bondmaids, which thou shalt have, shall be of the heathen that are round about you; of them shall ye buy bondmen and bondmaids.

(Lev 25:45 KJV) Moreover of the children of the strangers that do sojourn among you, of them shall ye buy, and of their families that are with you, which they begat in your land: and they shall be your possession.

(Lev 25:46 KJV) And ye shall take them as an inheritance for your children after you, to inherit them for a possession; they shall be your bondmen for ever: but over your brethren the children of Israel, ye shall not rule one over another with rigour.

The North won but the whole country has suffered since because they have instilled an education and progressiveness that does not follow the Bible. The Bible allows for slavery but condemns abortion (murder) and homosexuality. The South did not nor does not need their kind of "education."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2013, 09:10 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,609,474 times
They would probable all respond like the North did. The North won, so the religious that though God didn't want slavery won. Seems like that worked out.
I think in the end, it will work out the same way for homosexuals. The side that believes God doesn't care will win out eventually. This is how religious people come to their senses. They fight until one side wins.

Old 11-10-2013, 09:30 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,927,990 times
The South took verses that allowed slavery in the Old Testament and then dropped the subject like a hot rock rather than examine the nature of the institution in Israel. It happened to be a relatively humane system under which the rampant abuses of the slaves under the Southern System would have NO place.
The spirit of the defense of slavery was purely selfishness and complete lack of any feeling for the subjects of that slavery. The New Testament states that God loves everyone and enjoins Christians to be perfect in thayt regard as the Father is. (The end of Matt 5)

Old 11-10-2013, 10:21 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,763,518 times
Not to wrong a slave (Deut. 23:17)

Old 11-10-2013, 10:45 AM

21 posts, read 83,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
They would probable all respond like the North did. The North won, so the religious that though God didn't want slavery won. Seems like that worked out.
I think in the end, it will work out the same way for homosexuals. The side that believes God doesn't care will win out eventually. This is how religious people come to their senses. They fight until one side wins.
That's the problem. People look to this world as being God's world. The Bible says just the opposite on some things that we think are just and right. This is Satan's world and he is the god of it and he is always trying to push God out of our lives.

(2Co 4:4 KJV) In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them.

Now, God allows slavery because if one does not serve God, the true God, then God will turn them over to serve men and show them the difference between the authority of men over their lives versus the authority of God over their lives.

I believe our freedoms as a nation will be short-lived because our very "freedoms" we seem to striving for such as the right to commit sexual acts that are an abomination to God and all of other sins against God will cut short our existence and we will go the way of Rome and our survivors taken captive by hostile nations.

You must serve God or else.

Old 11-10-2013, 11:05 AM

21 posts, read 83,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
The South took verses that allowed slavery in the Old Testament and then dropped the subject like a hot rock rather than examine the nature of the institution in Israel. It happened to be a relatively humane system under which the rampant abuses of the slaves under the Southern System would have NO place.
The spirit of the defense of slavery was purely selfishness and complete lack of any feeling for the subjects of that slavery. The New Testament states that God loves everyone and enjoins Christians to be perfect in thayt regard as the Father is. (The end of Matt 5)
You are glossing over some of the rules in ancient Israel that show it was not as humane as you state.

Look at these scriptures and see what I mean:

(Exo 21:20 KJV) And if a man smite his servant, or his maid, with a rod, and he die under his hand; he shall be surely punished.
(Exo 21:21 KJV) Notwithstanding, if he continue a day or two, he shall not be punished: for he is his money.

(Exo 21:26 KJV) And if a man smite the eye of his servant, or the eye of his maid, that it perish; he shall let him go free for his eye's sake.
(Exo 21:27 KJV) And if he smite out his manservant's tooth, or his maidservant's tooth; he shall let him go free for his tooth's sake.

My experience in talking to one whose family who owned slaves reveals that their servants were treated like members of their own family and if there was lack of food the owners suffered loss of food to be able to feed their servants.

So, glorifying Israel's treatment of bondservants and demonizing the South's treatment of bondservants is not fair.

God allows for slavery and the South was biblically correct in their position of owning bondservants. But mistreatment is not right and if the authorities didn't intervene then I personally believe God would intervene and rebuke those who transgress.

The Civil War according to the scriptures was about envy and strife and the desire to take. People naturally like to put a nice cover over it and try to justify their actions.

(Jas 4:1 KJV) From whence come wars and fightings among you? come they not hence, even of your lusts that war in your members?

(Jas 4:2 KJV) Ye lust, and have not: ye kill, and desire to have, and cannot obtain: ye fight and war, yet ye have not, because ye ask not.

(Jas 4:3 KJV) Ye ask, and receive not, because ye ask amiss, that ye may consume it upon your lusts.

Old 11-15-2013, 07:36 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,744,698 times
That is indeed the expected response - that God was actually trying to alleviate the institution of slavery that was generally accepted at the time (or something that Satan was allowed to get away with for some reason that is not explained by his being 'The Lord of This World')

But that is tacit approval. If God didn't approve then he could - and should - have said so. By not doing so and merely putting a few house -rules in place (such as kicking out a slave into the street when they get damaged, it seems) that is tacit approval of slavery. It is quite understandable that the Bible should have served as scriptural justification of the institution of slavery. Because it nowhere says that it is wrong. It took human morality to say that, whether or not said by Christians or non - Christians.

Old 11-15-2013, 07:39 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,449,435 times
i dont know anybody not one that justifies slavery.
but i do know many slave masters that practice it every night selling underage girls on our streets.

Old 11-15-2013, 07:59 PM

7,381 posts, read 7,696,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
i dont know anybody not one that justifies slavery.
but i do know many slave masters that practice it every night selling underage girls on our streets.
I've had one friend to justify God's sanctioning of slavery in the Bible as saying that since God created, so he has the right to do with it/us as he sees fit.

Old 11-15-2013, 08:04 PM

618 posts, read 541,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turn Hearts View Post
My experience in talking to one whose family who owned slaves reveals that their servants were treated like members of their own family and if there was lack of food the owners suffered loss of food to be able to feed their servants.

So, glorifying Israel's treatment of bondservants and demonizing the South's treatment of bondservants is not fair.

God allows for slavery and the South was biblically correct in their position of owning bondservants. But mistreatment is not right and if the authorities didn't intervene then I personally believe God would intervene and rebuke those who transgress.

The Civil War according to the scriptures was about envy and strife and the desire to take. People naturally like to put a nice cover over it and try to justify their actions.

Hello Turn Hearts.

Could you clarify your assertions, because I don't want to misunderstand you...and I am certain that I must be misunderstanding you in that, except that you are condemning incidents of blatant abuse, it almost sounds like you are defending the institution of slavery as it was practiced in the southern United States prior to the American Civil War. I am certain that this could not be the case.

Thanks much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality