Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2007, 11:57 PM

109 posts, read 205,118 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanaBrown View Post
I learn that life and death are not in my hands or even in the hands in the physicians, but they are in the "hands of God' my Creator...
That's fair enough Shana! If you do get a terminal illness..or any other serious illness, I trust that you will rely on 'the will of God" rather than seek a medical solution from physicians. Good luck with it!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2007, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Originally Posted by ST1100 I'm perfectly able to draw my own conclusions.
Wrong or right, at least my opinions are entirely mine.

Is this a question or a presumptive statement?
Don't bother to answer, the question was merely rhetorical.

If you can’t stand to be questioned or be criticised I'd suggest that you stay out of the kitchen. That is the only way that you’ll never be questioned or be criticised.

Christians are humans and like any other human they make mistakes.
The problem is that people (whether they are theists or atheists) who believe that they can only be absolutely right often are wrong.
OK Tricky! I'll let you have the last word for the sake of peace. Now, would you like to debate the OP or not?

Old 11-24-2007, 01:38 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,235,190 times
Originally Posted by ST1100
Quote:
I'll let you have the last word for the sake of peace. Now, would you like to debate the OP or not?
I thought I already did so in post #33.

Old 11-24-2007, 05:01 AM

14,883 posts, read 17,164,304 times
Quote:
That's fair enough Shana! If you do get a terminal illness..or any other serious illness, I trust that you will rely on 'the will of God" rather than seek a medical solution from physicians. Good luck with it!!
Hi ST100, remember I said a "terminal" illness. How would I know that it was terminal unless I had been to physicians? Terminal means that the physicians would have revealed that it is, so I did not say anything about not consulting physicians or that it was a serious illness. In view of it being terminal, I might learn to trust God in the most difficult situation. And in view of it being terminal as determined by physicians, I might learn to seek God to see if it He might bring healing despite the report of the physicians, if it would be His will. God bless!

Old 11-24-2007, 06:11 AM

896 posts, read 1,865,022 times
What has this fencing with words got to do with the original OP?

Why not divert the energies you're using in hair splitting and scoring points to helping those poor unfortunate people who are suffering in Bangladesh?

Ahh but then that would be showing some real Christianity instead of the usual zealous bible thumping.

Old 11-24-2007, 06:26 AM

14,883 posts, read 17,164,304 times
Hi there Northsider, the poster wanted to know if this could be defended as an act of God and feels that if God was benevolent He would have stopped it. A response was, “not necessarily” and the reasons for the response given.

Quote:
Why not divert the energies you're using in hair splitting and scoring points to helping those poor unfortunate people who are suffering in Bangladesh?

Ahh but then that would be showing some real Christianity instead of the usual zealous
Bible thumping?
How do you know, Northsider, how people involved in this discussion, are responding to the disaster in Bangledesh? Energy may be directed in many ways to help the people of Bangladesh and to share with one another in the discussions. What you may see as hairsplitting and scoring points may be attempts to clarify what has been posted. The forums are for discussion of various topics. Take care and God bless.

Last edited by ShanaBrown; 11-24-2007 at 06:54 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 11-24-2007, 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by northsider
Quote:
What has this fencing with words got to do with the original OP?
The OP suggested that it was God who created the tornado and then he starts to blame God for humanity's own stupidity.
Personally I don’t even believe that he really cares about Bangladesh. He only uses it as a platform to launch his opinions.
But that could be me making a presumptive statement about the OP.

Quote:
Ahh but then that would be showing some real Christianity instead of the usual zealous bible thumping.
As far as I know I haven't touched anything besides Wikipedia, let alone zealously thumped a bible at someone.
Nor have I ever claimed to be a Christian.

Old 11-24-2007, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
The OP suggested that it was God who created the tornado and then he starts to blame God for humanity's own stupidity.
In what way does the stupidity of humanity create cyclones?

Quote:
Personally I don’t even believe that he really cares about Bangladesh. He only uses it as a platform to launch his opinions.
Thanks for that!

From your public profile:

Biography:I got banned from quinnforums.com and don't know why?

If you analyse the way you address people you might get an idea!

Old 11-24-2007, 07:15 AM

I had not visited the Quinnforums awhile and suddenly was banned.
They know the way I post and why, yet never censored me. Like me they believe in saying what you mean and that the freedom of speech is important.
Much like here.
That is why it came as a surprise that I was banned after not having been there for a few weeks.
I think that I'm banned because they suspect me of being a theist. Or worse a Christian, since I told them I was posting here also.
It was on the Quinnforum where I had a long discussion with a born again Christian, which sparked my interest to visit a philosophy & religion forum.

Quote:
If you analyse the way you address people you might get an idea!
I don't need to analyse, I always trust my gut instinct.
There are people who don't like me being honest and confrontational but as long as I have evidence to back up my claims I do not consider that my problem. I don't care about popularity.
For example: when people tell a lie and I find evidence of that I call them a liar. If they don't want me to call them a liar, the only thing they have to do is not tell a lie.

Last edited by Tricky D; 11-24-2007 at 07:32 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 11-24-2007, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanaBrown View Post
Hi ST100, remember I said a "terminal" illness. How would I know that it was terminal unless I had been to physicians? Terminal means that the physicians would have revealed that it is, so I did not say anything about not consulting physicians or that it was a serious illness.
Hello Shana. You said that you believe you are "in God's hands" so why would you go to a doctor in the first place? Why would you not just accept that any illness is 'the will of God' and trust him to sort out the problem...without resorting to science?

PS. It's ST1100 btw.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality