Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2013, 04:46 AM

75 posts, read 63,044 times

Advertisements

Terminology of ‘’father and son’’ in bible:
İn many verses of bible, words of ‘’ father’’ and ‘’son’’ are used as ‘’master’’ and ‘’servant’’.In greek language the word ‘’ Pais’’ has two meanings: son and servant. Here are some examples from bible:
Luke 3:38: (this verse is about the ascendants of jesus, at the end of the list): 38the [son] of Enos, the [son] of Seth, the [son] of Adam, the [son] of God.
Romans 8:14: For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, these are sons of God.
Matthew 5:9: Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called sons of God.
Psalm 2:7: I will tell of the decree:Jehovah said unto me, Thou art my son; This day have I begotten thee.
John 8:41: Ye do the works of your father. They said unto him, We were not born of fornication; we have one Father, [even] God. 42Jesus said unto them, If God were your Father, ye would love me: for I came forth and am come from God; for neither have I come of myself, but he sent me. 43 Why do ye not understand my speech? [Even] because ye cannot hear my word. 44Ye are of [your] father the devil, and the lusts of your father it is your will to do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and standeth not in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaketh a lie, he speaketh of his own: for he is a liar, and the father thereof.
Jeremiah 31:9: They shall come with weeping; and with supplications will I lead them: I will cause them to walk by rivers of waters, in a straight way wherein they shall not stumble; for I am a father to Israel, and Ephraim is my first-born.
John 3 16: For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth on him should not perish, but have eternal life.
The Word begotten also used in ‘’Hebrews’’ like that:
Hebrews 11:17: By faith Abraham, being tried, offered up Isaac: yea, he that had gladly received the promises was offering up his only begotten [son]
As we can see, isaac is called abraham’s only begotten son. But other son of Abraham; ishmael; was older than isaac, so isaac cant be abraham’s only son. That means that begotten doesnt necessarily mean ‘’only son’’ in the terminology of bible. Also, we saw that on many verses of bible, god calls many people as ‘’his son’’ that means servant of him, not literal meaning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2013, 05:25 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,380,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guen View Post
İn many verses of bible, words of ‘’ father’’ and ‘’son’’ are used as ‘’master’’ and ‘’servant’’.In greek language the word ‘’ Pais’’ has two meanings: son and servant. Here are some examples from bible:
Luke 3:38: (this verse is about the ascendants of jesus, at the end of the list): 38the [son] of Enos, the [son] of Seth, the [son] of Adam, the [son] of God.
Romans 8:14: For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, these are sons of God.
Psalm 2:7: I will tell of the decree:Jehovah said unto me, Thou art my son; This day have I begotten thee.
John 8:41: Ye do the works of your father. They said unto him, We were not born of fornication; we have one Father, [even] God. 42Jesus said unto them, If God were your Father, ye would love me: for I came forth and am come from God; for neither have I come of myself, but he sent me. 43 Why do ye not understand my speech? [Even] because ye cannot hear my word. 44Ye are of [your] father the devil, and the lusts of your father it is your will to do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and standeth not in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaketh a lie, he speaketh of his own: for he is a liar, and the father thereof.
Jeremiah 31:9: They shall come with weeping; and with supplications will I lead them: I will cause them to walk by rivers of waters, in a straight way wherein they shall not stumble; for I am a father to Israel, and Ephraim is my first-born.
John 3 16: For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth on him should not perish, but have eternal life.
Hebrews 11:17: By faith Abraham, being tried, offered up Isaac: yea, he that had gladly received the promises was offering up his only begotten [son]
As we can see, isaac is called abraham’s only begotten son. But other son of Abraham; ishmael; was older than isaac, so isaac cant be abraham’s only son. That means that begotten doesnt necessarily mean ‘’only son’’ in the terminology of bible. Also, we saw that on many verses of bible, god calls many people as ‘’his son’’ that means servant of him, not literal meaning.
"Pais" is also used to mean "male lover" in secular Greek writings of the time.

That would be awkward wouldn't it?

Just sayin'

Old 11-22-2013, 09:06 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,184,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guen View Post
Do you read Greek?

Old 11-22-2013, 09:13 AM

4,612 posts, read 4,893,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Do you read Greek?
Why do you ask? Do you think his post would be more clear if he wrote it in Greek?

Old 11-22-2013, 09:33 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,184,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
Why do you ask? Do you think his post would be more clear if he wrote it in Greek?
He was speaking of the word used for "son" and how it was used in the original text that the Bible was written in, which was Greek. I'd be curious to see if he was able to actually read the original texts, or if he was just going off of what he read somewhere else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality