Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2013, 05:38 PM

1,114 posts, read 1,224,434 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
Kingkong, I think you have a very good point.

I have not read much of the Christian Bible and almost nothing of the Quran. However, I have seen some of the 'kill the infidel' passages in the Quran, and I have never seen passages like that in either the Old Testament or the New Testament.

Based on reading the so-called holy books, I think a reasonable person could conclude that Islam is a more violent religion than Christianity or even Judaism.
I guess you missed my post where I specifically listed verses from the Bible which referred to killing infidels (those who were unbelievers or who worshiped other gods):

"If thy brother, the son of thy mother, or thy son, or thy daughter, or the wife of thy bosom, or thy friend, which is as thine own soul, entice thee secretly, saying, Let us go and serve other gods, which thou hast not known, thou, nor thy fathers; Namely, of the gods of the people which are round about you ... Thou shalt not consent unto him, nor hearken unto him; neither shall thine eye pity him, neither shalt thou spare, neither shalt thou conceal him: But thou shalt surely kill him; thine hand shall be first upon him to put him to death, and afterwards the hand of all the people. And thou shalt stone him with stones, that he die." -- Dt.13:6-10

Deuteronomy 17"If there be found among you, within any of thy gates which the LORD thy God giveth thee, man or woman, that hath wrought wickedness in the sight of the LORD thy God, in transgressing his covenant; 17:3 And hath gone and served other gods, and worshipped them, either the sun, or moon, or any of the host of heaven, which I have not commanded; 17:4 And it be told thee, and thou hast heard of it, and enquired diligently, and, behold, it be true, and the thing certain, that such abomination is wrought in Israel; 17:5 Then shalt thou bring forth that man or that woman, which have committed that wicked thing, unto thy gates, even that man or that woman, and shalt stone them with stones, till they die."

"They entered into a covenant to seek the Lord, the God of their fathers, with all their heart and soul; and everyone who would not seek the Lord, the God of Israel, was to be put to death, whether small or great, whether man or woman." (2 Chronicles 15:12-13 NAB)

"Suppose you hear in one of the towns the LORD your God is giving you that some worthless rabble among you have led their fellow citizens astray by encouraging them to worship foreign gods. In such cases, you must examine the facts carefully. If you find it is true and can prove that such a detestable act has occurred among you, you must attack that town and completely destroy all its inhabitants, as well as all the livestock." (Deuteronomy 13:13-19 NLT)

"If your own full brother, or your son or daughter, or your beloved wife, or you intimate friend, entices you secretly to serve other gods, whom you and your fathers have not known, gods of any other nations, near at hand or far away, from one end of the earth to the other: do not yield to him or listen to him, nor look with pity upon him, to spare or shield him, but kill him." (Deuteronomy 13:7-12 NAB)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2013, 06:02 PM

4,612 posts, read 4,895,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mythunderstood View Post
I guess you missed my post where I specifically listed verses from the Bible which referred to killing infidels (those who were unbelievers or who worshiped other gods):
Thanks for pointing out those passages. Yeah, those passages are pretty extreme.

I can understand why some people believe in gods but I am surprised that any normal person takes this Bible-Quran stuff seriously.

Old 12-03-2013, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
As I have before it is highly unlikely any muslim would have read any line of any surah with-out being aware of the entire Surah.
Huh? How would they be aware of the Surah if they haven't read it?

Quote:
Not many people would accept Islam if they found the Qur'an to be violent.
Heck, a lot of people accept the Torah as the word of their god even though it is full of violence. The same kind of people would accept the Quran.

Old 12-03-2013, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Do you not understand not to take things out of context?

http://quran.com/9/2-8
http://quran.com/9

The statements look even worse in context, about on the same level as Numbers 31.

Old 12-03-2013, 06:51 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,081,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
Huh? How would they be aware of the Surah if they haven't read it?

Most Muslim children are familiar with Qur'an based stories just as Christian are familiar with bible stories long before reading the bible.

Also most Muslims recite or listen to 1 Juz of the Qur'an every day of Ramadan and on the last day of Ramadan the remaining 1 or 2 Juz so they either read or hear the entire Qur'an every Ramadan. A child 7 years old will have heard every surah of the Qur'an at least 7 times.

During every one of our 5 daily prayers parts of (Minimum of 9 consecutive ayyats),or an entire surah, will be recited for each Rakat. A child will hear a considerable number of surat being recited daily even if it is his mother doing the reciting.

The number of rakkat for each obligatory prayer

Fajr:
i) First two rakat Sunnat Mokadda
ii) Two rakat Fard

Zuhr:
i) Four rakat Sunnat Mokadda
ii) Four rakat Fard
iii) Two rakat sunnat Mokadda
iv) Two rakat Nafl (Optional but spiritually beneficial)

Asr:
i) Four rakat sunnat ghair mokadda (Optional but spiritually beneficial)
ii) Four rakat Fard

Maghrib
i) Three rakat Fard
ii) Two rakat Sunnat Mokadda
iii) Two rakat nafl (Optional but spiritually beneficial)

Isha:
i) Four rakat sunnat e Ghair Mokadda (Optional but spiritually beneficial)
ii) Four rakat Fard
iii) Two Rakat Sunnat Mokadda
iv) Two rakat Nafil (Optional but spiritually beneficial)
v) Three rakat Wajib
vi) Two rakat Nafil (Optional but spiritually beneficial)

Old 12-04-2013, 08:21 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,753,834 times
Quote:
Most ..... children....
Most children in any group actually don't listen to whatever any adult is preaching. After a few minutes they treat it as background noise and whatever the groups utter, they utter. Come on, we were all children once and within minutes our attention was somewhere else. Lets take the video at face value. Its an outdoor adult preaching in a public area and not in a classroom environment. If we want classroom environments then there are dozens on YouTube that span numerous religions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality