Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2013, 12:09 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,813,278 times

Advertisements

I wonder why celebrities are attracted to Scientology. What does it have to offer that traditional religions in the U.S. don't?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2013, 12:54 PM

535 posts, read 967,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
I wonder why celebrities are attracted to Scientology. What does it have to offer that traditional religions in the U.S. don't?
From what I've read they have a celebrity outreach department, no kidding. How Scientology Attracts Celebrities - ABC News

Old 12-06-2013, 12:56 PM

20,005 posts, read 13,486,477 times
Historically they have targeted higher income marks. ISTR that recently they have developed some more mainstream outreach techniques, but historically they have made people directly pay for their indoctrination.

Old 12-06-2013, 01:00 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,731,784 times
It tells us about the Black Box nonsense used to delude these people out of their dosh. It doesn't tell us why they sign up for scientology.

I have a theory. The need for at least a recognized religion (atheism can blight a career) but for some reason, Christianity won't do..

Old 12-06-2013, 01:03 PM

2,526 posts, read 3,052,389 times
Xenu is far more exotic than Jesus, Moses, Mohammed, Buddha, etc.

Old 12-06-2013, 01:35 PM

10,531 posts, read 6,167,855 times
My theory (total conjecture on my part) is because it sounds like it might have something to do with 'science' or 'technology' and so a modern day religion - the name itself sounds like it gives it some credibility. It literally means 'knowledge'.

But people are incredibly stupid as well as gullible. I think being connected with scientology makes celebrities think it gives them some credibility -they think it makes it look as if they might actually know something.
When actually there is no real science or technology involved at all. Anything claimed to be scientific is actually pseudoscience with no evidence to support it.
What they should do instead is go back to school.

Old 12-06-2013, 02:10 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,813,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
I have a theory. The need for at least a recognized religion (atheism can blight a career) but for some reason, Christianity won't do..

Some British actors (Hugh Laurie, Stephen Fry, Emma Thompson) are openly atheist, and as far as I know, their careers are going well in the United States (well, maybe not Fry, but that's because he isn't as well known to Yanks).

Old 12-06-2013, 02:13 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,190,517 times
Quote:
Some British actors (Hugh Laurie, Stephen Fry, Emma Thompson) are openly atheist, and as far as I know, their careers are going well in the United States (well, maybe not Fry, but that's because he isn't as well known to Yanks).
As is Ricky Gervais, perhaps the funniest, and one of the smartest, men on the planet.

Old 12-06-2013, 03:36 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,054,795 times
Quote:
This reminds me of the story told by Laurence Oliver about Dustin Hoffman during the filming of Marathon Man. In order to prepare for the scene were Hoffman, a devoted devotee of the method school of acting, is essentially tortured while sitting a Oliver's dental chair, Hoffman stayed up for days, didn't wash all to create in his mind the pain and suffering that he was to portray. Following shooting of the scene, Oliver suggest that instead of all of his method based preparation that he should just, "try acting."

From what I've read and the things that I have seen, American actors are a psychologically vulnerable group of individuals reeking of insecurity, Scientology seems to offer something that builds their self-esteem and self-worth as strange as that may seem.

Old 12-06-2013, 03:47 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,190,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
...snip...

From what I've read and the things that I have seen, American actors are a psychologically vulnerable group of individuals reeking of insecurity, Scientology seems to offer something that builds their self-esteem and self-worth as strange as that may seem.
I think you're on to something there. Many, many Hollywood types seem to have issues that money and adulation can't fix.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality