Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2013, 09:29 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,606,714 times

Advertisements

This convo could go on forever..............and is the solid proof I use for my atheism. I feel the same way except I feel it about all, and have none. I can just sit here and use others excuses against each others on everyone.

I believe in the beginning, God handed out lollipops. Everyone is licking away diligently to see who will attain the tootsie roll center. It's entertaining, but can be harmful so be careful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2013, 12:13 PM

2,776 posts, read 2,670,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
Truth teller states the Quran because it is not written by humans. Why is it not written by humans Truth teller? No contradictions?

The Quran is a recorder for the saying of Allah and it contains his actual saying in other word it contains his words

and it was recorded via his final messenger The Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessing of Allah be upon him via the angel Jibreel via Allah.

Among the Muslims in this era there are people who got and memorized the Quran orally from someone who got it and memorized it from someone before him
and so on until they reach to the time of the final prophet and they got it and memorized it from the Prophet
and the Prophet got it from Gabriel and Gabriel got from Allah.

And if you hear all the Quran from them every one will say the same thing and also if you compare what they said to the first written copy of the Quran you will find them identical.

Old 12-13-2013, 02:46 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,388,517 times
Having read some of each I would say they have a lot of wisdom and also a lot bunk.
Thank God, I have a brain or discernment or something to take the
loving, kind , inspirational words out
of those and other scriptures, mystical poetry and books and become uplifted
by them...
Tossing the other stuff out...that may be filled with fear, anger, ritualulistic nuttiness.
(Ya know like stoning,blood sacrifice...)

My favorite is The Bhagavad Gita, not mentioned.

Old 12-13-2013, 02:57 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,659,782 times
I am neither a Christian, a Jew, or a Muslim, I am not Hindu, nor am I a follower of Buddha, I do not believe in any of the organized religions that require a sacred book. I am a Keetoowah Spiritual Elder of the Tsalagi and I do not need a sacred book to practice my cultural belief, it is a belief that his been handed down from generation to generation by word-of-mouth for over 20,000 years.I believe that all sacred books, regardless of what organized religion they belong to are written by man and are subject to man's fallacies and prejudices,they are books that are meant to subjugate their followers.
I also believe that no man/woman needs a sacred book to tell them how to treat one another, if you follow what is in your heart and do what you know is right, this is all that is needed, to treat one another with respect. All life is sacred and should be treated as such.osay

Old 12-13-2013, 03:20 PM

63,816 posts, read 40,099,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
I am neither a Christian, a Jew, or a Muslim, I am not Hindu, nor am I a follower of Buddha, I do not believe in any of the organized religions that require a sacred book. I am a Keetoowah Spiritual Elder of the Tsalagi and I do not need a sacred book to practice my cultural belief, it is a belief that his been handed down from generation to generation by word-of-mouth for over 20,000 years.I believe that all sacred books, regardless of what organized religion they belong to are written by man and are subject to man's fallacies and prejudices,they are books that are meant to subjugate their followers.
I also believe that no man/woman needs a sacred book to tell them how to treat one another, if you follow what is in your heart and do what you know is right, this is all that is needed, to treat one another with respect. All life is sacred and should be treated as such.osay
Ageless wisdom from a respected spiritual elder!!

Old 12-13-2013, 05:36 PM

Quote:
And of course, word of mouth is absolute as long as they don't write it down. Funny how you can say all the above in one breath. Why don't you just say, I am better than all of them. It's shorter and says the same thing.

We did a test in 9th grade. Tell one of 20 people a story, and when it gets through to the 20th person, see if the story is the same. Guess what the outcome was?

Old 12-13-2013, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Ageless wisdom from a respected spiritual elder!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
And of course, word of mouth is absolute as long as they don't write it down. Funny how you can say all the above in one breath. Why don't you just say, I am better than all of them. It's shorter and says the same thing.
Oh well . . . respected by some people, I guess.

Old 12-13-2013, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Oh well . . . respected by some people, I guess.
Oh sorry, are you a follower?

Old 12-13-2013, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
Oh sorry, are you a follower?
Of this?

"if you follow what is in your heart and do what you know is right, this is all that is needed, to treat one another with respect. All life is sacred and should be treated as such."

Yes.

Old 12-14-2013, 12:39 AM

670 posts, read 815,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
how do you as a Christian or Jew or Muslim or Baha'i see these other books. Why do you hold one in higher regards than the other?
All inspiration and revelation comes from a divine source, however that source is not always a good one.
There are two forces in our universe a good one and an evil one they war for power and both have made there way into the writings of men, scriptures are not exempt they too are influenced by those forces.

So I feel that no scripture is perfect, the ones which most closely reflect my beliefs I hold as important and containing wisdom, but none of them do I regard as perfect and I don't consider them to be rule books or guides as how to live ones life. If I where to list a few: Gospel of Mark & Matthew, the Didache, Tao te Ching, Proverbs, Psalms, Epistle of James, and while it's not a scripture a collection of Buddhists, Confucian, Taoist, and Hindu sayings that I have gathered. Notice I didn't say the bible, that's because I do not treat it as others treat it, to me each book in it is a separate work, I do not think of it as a whole.

There is wisdom in them all, but one should not hold them upon a pedestal such a thing to me is placing them before the only one worthy of praise.

I am a Monolatrist Orthoprax Christian: Meaning that I believe my god is not the only god that exists, but that she is the only one worthy of praise and worship and she is the Father of Christ. I believe she does not care what people believe for that is not what saves them, people are saved by doing good with good intentions, being merciful, forgiving, and accepting of others. My god is not the one depicted in large portions of the Old Testament, to me that god is evil. She is not Yahweh, her name is the All-Fire.

I feel it is the right of all Christians to experience spiritual revelations personally, and that those spiritual experiences are important in our walk with god, for rather than relying solely on the words of others we must ask, seek, and knock for the door of wisdom to be opened. Meditation is important in my beliefs it is through the use of mediation that one can achieve a higher state of awareness and in that state come closer to the divine and possibly experience revelations from the divine.

The true Word of god is not preserved in Ink but within the hearts of mankind, the ultimate Law of that Word is Love, the act of choosing to be loving is the greatest good deed one can perform.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality