Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2013, 08:20 PM

1,115 posts, read 2,496,972 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I'm a born and raised Catholic who has had a bit of a struggle with the Catholic religion over the last 8-9 years. I entirely believe in God, Jesus Christ, the Bible, etc, but always struggled with many of the principles of the Catholic faith itself. I still pray very often and am always trying to live in God's footsteps and do good, but I've admittedly haven't gone to Church in over 6 years now. Probably the biggest thing that turned me away from the faith was that it seems the Catholic religion likes to really say "your damned" for even the smallest things, or things you can't control. Oh you ate meat on Friday during Lent? You're damned. Oh you masturbate? Damned. Oh you miss church? You're Damned. It's also extremely judgemental against homosexuality and the teaching has always been yep, if you're homosexual you're damned. (Hopefully with Pope Francis we will see things change with that at least!)

The biggest gripe I have with the Catholic religion though is that it is very judgemental of other faiths. The teaching has been basically that if you're not Catholic, you're following a "false religion" and will not be given eternal paradise, that eternal paradise is only reserved for Catholics, "followers of the true religion". (So basically once again... you're damned!) This bothers me immensely and was the main reason for me stopping to follow the faith closely. I know so many good people of various faiths, who is to say they do not deserve the same graces of God? Hell, many non Catholics often end up being much better human beings than a good handful of Catholics any day, but you're not Catholic so you're pretty much screwed according to the Catholic religion.

Long story short, I'm looking to get involved more heavily with my faith again, but am still exploring other religious faiths (Under Christianity) in hopes of finding one that does not damn people of other faiths. This has been more challenging then I've thought though, as it seems most religions like to say their religion is the ONLY right religion. Are there any religions out there that just preach about being a good person and not care what faith other people follow?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2013, 08:52 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,363,451 times
Maybe Joel Osteen could be your pastor?
He knows that God loves EVERYBODY!!

Old 12-18-2013, 08:57 PM

54 posts, read 307,497 times
Christian Science doesn't seem to judge others. I was raised in that religion and I look kindly upon it although I have turned to Wiccan now.

Old 12-19-2013, 12:11 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,377,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_grimace View Post
Hi all,

I'm a born and raised Catholic who has had a bit of a struggle with the Catholic religion over the last 8-9 years. I entirely believe in God, Jesus Christ, the Bible, etc, but always struggled with many of the principles of the Catholic faith itself. I still pray very often and am always trying to live in God's footsteps and do good, but I've admittedly haven't gone to Church in over 6 years now. Probably the biggest thing that turned me away from the faith was that it seems the Catholic religion likes to really say "your damned" for even the smallest things, or things you can't control. Oh you ate meat on Friday during Lent? You're damned. Oh you masturbate? Damned. Oh you miss church? You're Damned. It's also extremely judgemental against homosexuality and the teaching has always been yep, if you're homosexual you're damned. (Hopefully with Pope Francis we will see things change with that at least!)

The biggest gripe I have with the Catholic religion though is that it is very judgemental of other faiths. The teaching has been basically that if you're not Catholic, you're following a "false religion" and will not be given eternal paradise, that eternal paradise is only reserved for Catholics, "followers of the true religion". (So basically once again... you're damned!) This bothers me immensely and was the main reason for me stopping to follow the faith closely. I know so many good people of various faiths, who is to say they do not deserve the same graces of God? Hell, many non Catholics often end up being much better human beings than a good handful of Catholics any day, but you're not Catholic so you're pretty much screwed according to the Catholic religion.

Long story short, I'm looking to get involved more heavily with my faith again, but am still exploring other religious faiths (Under Christianity) in hopes of finding one that does not damn people of other faiths. This has been more challenging then I've thought though, as it seems most religions like to say their religion is the ONLY right religion. Are there any religions out there that just preach about being a good person and not care what faith other people follow?
As a recovered Catholic (many years now), I would recommend researching and embracing the fascinating and wonderfully rich history of the Catholic Church. Of course you might end up as a recovered Catholic too if you do.

Old 12-19-2013, 12:31 AM

670 posts, read 814,841 times
A wiseman once said: "If you can't change the world, aim to change yourself from within and perhaps the world will see that change and be inspired by you."

I consider myself a type of Christian,
But I don't believe in a lot of what mainstream Christianity teaches.

I don't feel belief is required for salvation, to me good deeds with the proper intentions are.

I do not have a church or a following, but I don't think people of other beliefs will be punished for disbelief.
If a person does good with good intentions my god the father of Christ will have mercy on them.

My only advice is that you preach from your heart what you feel is right.
If you feel what is important is to teach people to do good, then preach that.
Start your own Church.

May peace and love be with you always.

Old 12-19-2013, 10:10 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,180,832 times
Why would you want to be a part of a religion that doesn't claim to be able to know anything?

Old 12-19-2013, 12:38 PM

1,115 posts, read 2,496,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Why would you want to be a part of a religion that doesn't claim to be able to know anything?
Not exactly. I want to be a part of a faith that doesn't condemn other people's slightly different beliefs.

Old 12-19-2013, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Not exactly. I want to be a part of a faith that doesn't condemn other people's slightly different beliefs.
I am a part of that faith. There are many different Christian churches and denominations that are great. I have no problem with going to a number of different denominations.

The problem is with the major differences. Jesus said he was the only way.

Old 12-19-2013, 12:58 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,363,451 times
Quote:
Not exactly. I want to be a part of a faith that doesn't condemn
other people's slightly different beliefs.
Yes, exactly what you said.

Christian Science is one I forgot about...I love those people and their beliefs
and sometimes go to their Wed evening gatherings.
Wise men and wise groups never condemn anothers love or worship style of another
culture or background...God cares about the heart, not the color of robes or the incense used.

I'd like to say...we all know that..but I can't.

Old 12-19-2013, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Yes, exactly what you said.

Christian Science is one I forgot about...I love those people and their beliefs
and sometimes go to their Wed evening gatherings.
Wise men and wise groups never condemn anothers love or worship style of another
culture or background...God cares about the heart, not the color of robes or the incense used.
How do you know? What makes you able to speak for God?

And by such a statement, you are suggesting that others that think God does care (because he said so) are wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality