Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2013, 05:39 AM

580 posts, read 966,231 times

Advertisements

I've read about the history of many of the main world religions from the, I would assume the spirit religions of early man through the polytheistic religions of the Ancient civilizations up into Judaism, Christianity, Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, etc, etc.

What I'm curious about is the future of religion. I'd kind of like to know what people think about it and what kinds of changes they may expect in, say, a couple hundred years. Do you think science will completely overtake religion? Or is there a possibility that a different type of spirituality would emerge with its own prophets and religious figures?

I have found that there seems to be some kind of pattern with many of the polytheistic religions' histories. They seem to evolve into a monotheistic religion. For a time Egypt's Pharaoh adopted a single god, the Aten. Hinduism, while polytheistic, has evolved into a complex religion where, depending on interpretations and beliefs, it has evolved into a sort of pantheistic religion. (This is as I understand it.) The Abrahamic faiths with Islam included have all had their origins dating back to polytheistic societies from the ancient Middle East.

Buddhism seems to be somewhat different. While they have a central figure that has attained complete enlightenment, they don't have a supreme god so to speak. They believe there are just higher planes of enlightenment. The origins of this religion are from countries that have had major influences (at the very least) from countries where Hinduism is practiced. This might beg the question, is it possible that religion in general might be headed in the direction of Buddhism where there are no central deities and where everyone can reach divine levels of consciousness? If this is the case could it be possible that Buddhism and other religions with no central deity might possibly be more advanced?

I think as science makes more discoveries about the universe it's possible that a more logical approach will come to religion. Sure, there will still be people who believe everything in whatever sacred text they read literally but its possible that the majority will take things less literally.

Other things to think about might be random occurances such as the possibility of actually finding and meeting civilizations from other planets or a society-destroying force such as a comet or asteroid that will bring us back to the dark ages. I think these wild-cards will have big influences on our belief systems. For instance the aliens we meet might believe in something totally different or they may not even believe in anything at all. The comet or asteroid, as I could guess from the post-apocalyptic movies would have people either creating their own religions or their own ways to worship the old deities.

Anyway, that's my take on things.

Last edited by tonylu; 04-28-2013 at 06:16 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2013, 05:58 AM

1,755 posts, read 3,001,206 times
I'd like to think that as people become more spiritually aware, they'll come to realize that they don't need certain things in order to feel connected to God and to their fellow man and my thinking (because this has been my experience) is that they'll come to realize that they carry their spirituality with them wherever they go because its inside of them and isn't attached to man made concepts, tools, etc.

Old 04-28-2013, 06:38 AM

50,089 posts, read 20,789,459 times
That's a good suggestion. While there is an ongoing clinging to ideas that don't stack up any more, there is a method of religifying new discoveries. They are going to be more or less remote from the original idea (e.g scientology loosely based on Psychiatry linked with some science fiction) that might be harder to get away with as there is more widespread understanding of the science.

Perhaps there could be a mix of two tendencies I note from the more thoughtful and forward -looking Christians: a mix of a social conscience and the idea of God = consciousness. That might miss out on an anthropomorphic identity that one could worship and trying to use morality = God I would see (as an evolutionist) coming a cropper, eventually. Of course, it might be possible to just have worship for its own sake, but then one would be approaching those humanist -atheist churches.

Maybe even then, some joint declaration mighty be hammered out.

Old 04-28-2013, 09:16 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,847,092 times
There are two possible final outcomes in my opinion...

We either destroy ourselves and religion vanishes with humanity or some humans survive to start the game all over again from the beginning or technology evolves to the point where post-humans have essentially become immortal "gods" capable of creating in their own right (hopefully with enough wisdom to wield that kind of power too).

Maybe the second option has already happened and we are the result... who knows?

It's gonna take hundreds, if not thousands of years for religion to disappear entirely however. Even science is too limited to scope and perspective to take us "all the way" and will be supplanted by something better eventually too.

Old 04-28-2013, 09:33 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,622,157 times
I'll play!

I think worship and religious study will eventually take place more at home via monitor of some kind. You could have religious apps for your phones what ever they may be at that time as well. Just like everything else.

I think maybe churches will for the most part be gone to make room for housing of some sort and a few will be left as historic buildings to visit. Church museums if you will.

I think religion will still exist but there will be more sec's as people learn more about the world through advanced communication and ease of travel.

I think religious morals will have to shift somehow because of science and advancement. I already know a few hard line Christian woman who've had a lot of plastic surgery and breast augmentation. I imagine as more change the sex of their babies, receive various improved transplants, etc., their morals will have to encompass all this science and body manipulation.

I like to think atheists will become accepted and trusted, more of a mainstream acceptance. That views on no God will change and just become like any other decision one makes about life. Maybe taking on more of a humanist approach and groups of all ideals/beliefs will form instead to help humanity in poorer areas of the world that lack advancement. Action will become more satisfactory than praying. Praying will become private like meditation.

I like to think in the future we will be more tolerant and less judgmental, not using our religious preference to fight but to enlighten our way of thinking, like reading a good book. I hope in the future we all become more civilized.

We are the world- we are the children- we'll make a better day just you and me..........now that song is stuck in there for the rest of the day. lol

Wow, ok, fantasy over.

Old 04-28-2013, 04:11 PM

So far very interesting ideas. The technology in relation to belief systems and religion is a very interesting topic. I'm wondering what if there's a possibility that some might want to more prominently integrate technology into religion. Perhaps there might be some kind of movement like the cult in the Cowboy Bebop episode, "Brain Scratch":

Cowboy Bebop - Session 23 - Brain Scratch PT1 - YouTube

People have thought about downloading their minds into computers since we've had them. It could be possible that we may turn it into some type of religious experience making the computer some sort of afterlife if you will.

It's also possible that we could have something like what happens in The Machine Stops by E. M. Forster where people pretty much starts to worship it. In some parts of the story, people recite codes and sayings from the manual as if the manual was a sacred book.

As much as I love the idea of us all being brought together like Master/Mr./Mrs./Ms. (sorry, don't know what to call you) Poppysead says, it is possible that there could be even more fighting between the groups. Traditionals may fight against the Spiritualists (whatever you'd like to call the people who believe they will attain enlightenment themselves through meditation) and both of those people may have problems with Technologists.

Last edited by tonylu; 04-28-2013 at 04:54 PM..

Old 04-28-2013, 07:05 PM

995 posts, read 957,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonylu View Post
I've read about the history of many of the main world religions from the, I would assume the spirit religions of early man through the polytheistic religions of the Ancient civilizations up into Judaism, Christianity, Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, etc, etc.

What I'm curious about is the future of religion. I'd kind of like to know what people think about it and what kinds of changes they may expect in, say, a couple hundred years. Do you think science will completely overtake religion? Or is there a possibility that a different type of spirituality would emerge with its own prophets and religious figures?

I have found that there seems to be some kind of pattern with many of the polytheistic religions' histories. They seem to evolve into a monotheistic religion. For a time Egypt's Pharaoh adopted a single god, the Aten. Hinduism, while polytheistic, has evolved into a complex religion where, depending on interpretations and beliefs, it has evolved into a sort of pantheistic religion. (This is as I understand it.) The Abrahamic faiths with Islam included have all had their origins dating back to polytheistic societies from the ancient Middle East.

Buddhism seems to be somewhat different. While they have a central figure that has attained complete enlightenment, they don't have a supreme god so to speak. They believe there are just higher planes of enlightenment. The origins of this religion are from countries that have had major influences (at the very least) from countries where Hinduism is practiced. This might beg the question, is it possible that religion in general might be headed in the direction of Buddhism where there are no central deities and where everyone can reach divine levels of consciousness? If this is the case could it be possible that Buddhism and other religions with no central deity might possibly be more advanced?

I think as science makes more discoveries about the universe it's possible that a more logical approach will come to religion. Sure, there will still be people who believe everything in whatever sacred text they read literally but its possible that the majority will take things less literally.

Other things to think about might be random occurances such as the possibility of actually finding and meeting civilizations from other planets or a society-destroying force such as a comet or asteroid that will bring us back to the dark ages. I think these wild-cards will have big influences on our belief systems. For instance the aliens we meet might believe in something totally different or they may not even believe in anything at all. The comet or asteroid, as I could guess from the post-apocalyptic movies would have people either creating their own religions or their own ways to worship the old deities.

Anyway, that's my take on things.

Probably the reason for the conversion is because both doctrines teach that all other religions, especially the polytheistic ones are all evil.

I think the future of religion is exactly what we are all doing right now. All people from all walks of life are together on the internet to discuss/debate all religions under the sun. This is the future of religions. The internet is the prophesized new Heaven and earth, God's new favorite city.

Old 04-28-2013, 07:37 PM

20,084 posts, read 13,542,799 times
I tend to regard religion as just one manifestation of the general trajectory of humanity, which is tortuously moving from a very deep hole of unawareness / superstition toward a gradual awakening to more and more rational / fact based ways of being. There are different perspectives on this, ranging from religion evolving into less and less rigid / dogmatic forms, to the fading of racism and other forms of discrimination, to lowering rates of violent crime and greater and greater international consensus and cooperation, less clannish / tribal mentality, etc.

All of these are very slow moving processes and although the information age gave them all a pretty good swift kick in the touche it's hard for me to say whether this is a one time or ongoing boost. I would say most of the things I've outlined above will take a good solid millenium or so to mature. In other words it'll be a thousand years or so before religion, regional conflicts, violent crime, racism and the like are fringe / edge case things rather than still widely in evidence in most parts of the world. It's also possible for various disasters to cause temporary or long-term regressions; that steady, long term progress really depends on some kind of stable baseline of prosperity and technological progress, lest too many people slip down the hierarchy of needs. Also we have to avoid polarization between haves and have-nots as things like terrorism and fundamentalism tend to concentrate in poor countries.

I guess this means I'm somewhat of a pessimist because I see humanity moving forward, but slowly, and with the opportunity for setbacks along the way. But isn't that the way it's always been?

Old 04-28-2013, 11:15 PM

5,367 posts, read 5,161,594 times
In southern Africa, I foresee a syncretism between the indigenous religions and Christianity. Does anybody else see this happening?

Old 04-29-2013, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider's Pantheon View Post
Probably the reason for the conversion is because both doctrines teach that all other religions, especially the polytheistic ones are all evil.

I think the future of religion is exactly what we are all doing right now. All people from all walks of life are together on the internet to discuss/debate all religions under the sun. This is the future of religions. The internet is the prophesized new Heaven and earth, God's new favorite city.
Interesting. Seems to kind of go back, at least a little bit to the post about technology and religion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
I tend to regard religion as just one manifestation of the general trajectory of humanity, which is tortuously moving from a very deep hole of unawareness / superstition toward a gradual awakening to more and more rational / fact based ways of being. There are different perspectives on this, ranging from religion evolving into less and less rigid / dogmatic forms, to the fading of racism and other forms of discrimination, to lowering rates of violent crime and greater and greater international consensus and cooperation, less clannish / tribal mentality, etc.

All of these are very slow moving processes and although the information age gave them all a pretty good swift kick in the touche it's hard for me to say whether this is a one time or ongoing boost. I would say most of the things I've outlined above will take a good solid millenium or so to mature. In other words it'll be a thousand years or so before religion, regional conflicts, violent crime, racism and the like are fringe / edge case things rather than still widely in evidence in most parts of the world. It's also possible for various disasters to cause temporary or long-term regressions; that steady, long term progress really depends on some kind of stable baseline of prosperity and technological progress, lest too many people slip down the hierarchy of needs. Also we have to avoid polarization between haves and have-nots as things like terrorism and fundamentalism tend to concentrate in poor countries.

I guess this means I'm somewhat of a pessimist because I see humanity moving forward, but slowly, and with the opportunity for setbacks along the way. But isn't that the way it's always been?
One thing about the rational, fact based way of being. Is there still room for spiritual awakening or advancement in some way? Personally I think, or I'd hope at least, there is.

The struggles and the slowly moving forward is part of the human condition. It could very well be considered the source of pain, suffering and evil in the world. Maybe we aspire to be divine and live in the supreme being or the supreme lightness of being (whatever you prefer) and the evil of the world. Buddhism's suffering (Not completely sure what they believe about that), Christianity's devil, Judaism's evil counterpart, Islam's evil counterpart, Hinduism's Kali (or whoever the evil deities are) are the forces in the world trying to hold us back. they are the things we struggle with as a society or as individuals.

I learned from my diversity class about jihad when we did a unit on Islam. According two Wikipedia there are two types of jihad:

Quote:
There are two commonly accepted meanings of jihad: an inner spiritual struggle and an outer physical struggle.[1] The "greater jihad" is the inner struggle by a believer to fulfill his religious duties.[1][5] This non-violent meaning is stressed by both Muslim[6] and non-Muslim[7] authors.
The greater jihad, as the article says is the struggle against the self. Terrorists and fear mongers throw around this word only thinking about the physical struggle against some foreign or domestic enemy causing people to see this violent part of the religion. Because of this, they get the wrong idea about it. They think its a holy war against physical enemies. They don't see the other part of this. (Maybe someone from the Islam forum might be able to explain this a little better or give his take on the subject.)

This inner holy war can be fond in all religions. The idea to do good in the eyes of the supreme or to bring themselves up into a higher plane of spiritual existence is the struggle and the reason for this inner holy war. I think future religions will continue to have the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
In southern Africa, I foresee a syncretism between the indigenous religions and Christianity. Does anybody else see this happening?
First, I had to look up syncretism. Then I looked up syncretism in southern Africa. I've heard of this happening indifferent parts of the world. In India there are people who mix Hinduism and Christianity in a way. some households have pictures of Jesus in their shrines next to pictures of the Hindu deities. As I understand, Voodoo is a mixture of Catholicism and indigenous tribal religions of Africa so I think it makes sense that it would happen with cultures coming into contact with each other.

I found an article about this:

Relilgion in Africa: Christian Beliefs and Practices | Religion In Africa

As the article seems to imply, there are things that one religion doesn't cover so they bring the beliefs of another to fill in some of the details.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality