Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2014, 03:07 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,237,165 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
That isn't the way the law works. The state has to show how denying equal protections furthers a compelling state interest.
You really need to establish the fact that anyone is being denied equal protection. You haven't done that.

Old 01-15-2014, 03:11 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,674,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
You're right. I did forget that. That usually comes after someone who could give Phil Robertson a run for his money makes a post.

"It's not natural! All those gays and drunkards. We just let Jesus sort them out!"

Meanwhile Phil is making a bucket of money selling Duck Commander wine and Miss Kay and Willie are shopping in the plus size department so it's no wonder people view organized religion as a threat to the future of civilization. The hypocrisy from Phil alone is enough to shift the weight of the continent and dump us all into the Gulf of Mexico.
How about if someone said about Same Sex Marriage/Homosexuality the EXACT same things that are said about Religion/God Belief that is commonly posted up on this board?

It is so hypocritical for those that get all twisted up when their "Moral Standards" are criticized to then get all critical and hateful toward others for holding their differing "Moral Standards".

No "moral standard"...regardless of source or basis...has any greater merit or validity than any other "moral standard". It's all subjective personal opinion.
All are wrong for hating anyone else for their differing "moral standard"...Tolerance (and love for fellow man) is where it's at.

Old 01-15-2014, 03:40 PM

63,993 posts, read 40,277,921 times
Default Gay Marriage - How Can This Be Wrong?

The primary issue seems to be the secular benefits society grants to married couples. It is imperative that any such benefits emanate from a compelling societal interest in the marriage. It seems we need to very rigorously explore just exactly WHAT the compelling societal interest is in granting these benefits to married couples. Then we can objectively decide which "marriages" promote or satisfy the compelling societal interest(s). No one seems to be doing that and we will just continue to have these emotion-based conflicts over granting marriage status.

Old 01-15-2014, 04:13 PM

4,529 posts, read 5,147,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
You really need to establish the fact that anyone is being denied equal protection. You haven't done that.
It's easy. Homosexual couples that wish to marry are not being afforded the same protections and benefits that marriage brings.

Old 01-15-2014, 04:15 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,577,885 times
Preacher, I find it interesting that you make the following statement of complete ignorance about why same sex partners are working to obtain the rights granted solely by marriage.
Quote:
Lawyers can do that for you.
So I can only assume that you missed by willfully ignoring a list of rights that can only be granted through marriage. Why, because it shows how wrong you, and how it shows how blind and misguided your superstition based hatred is?

Quote:
So in case you missed it, I'll post it again, care to address these issues, or is it too awkward.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
No they can't.

These legal rights are granted by marriage, and a lawyer cannot create these rights.

Tax Benefits
  • Filing joint income tax returns with the IRS and state taxing authorities.
  • Creating a "family partnership" under federal tax laws, which allows you to divide business income among family members.
Estate Planning Benefits
  • Inheriting a share of your spouse's estate.
  • Receiving an exemption from both estate taxes and gift taxes for all property you give or leave to your spouse.
  • Creating life estate trusts that are restricted to married couples, including QTIP trusts, QDOT trusts, and marital deduction trusts.
  • Obtaining priority if a conservator needs to be appointed for your spouse -- that is, someone to make financial and/or medical decisions on your spouse's behalf.
Government Benefits
  • Receiving Social Security, Medicare, and disability benefits for spouses.
  • Receiving veterans' and military benefits for spouses, such as those for education, medical care, or special loans.
  • Receiving public assistance benefits.
Employment Benefits
  • Obtaining insurance benefits through a spouse's employer.
  • Taking family leave to care for your spouse during an illness.
  • Receiving wages, workers' compensation, and retirement plan benefits for a deceased spouse.
  • Taking bereavement leave if your spouse or one of your spouse's close relatives dies.
Medical Benefits
  • Visiting your spouse in a hospital intensive care unit or during restricted visiting hours in other parts of a medical facility.
  • Making medical decisions for your spouse if he or she becomes incapacitated and unable to express wishes for treatment.
Death Benefits
  • Consenting to after-death examinations and procedures.
  • Making burial or other final arrangements.
Family Benefits
  • Filing for stepparent or joint adoption.
  • Applying for joint foster care rights.
  • Receiving equitable division of property if you divorce.
  • Receiving spousal or child support, child custody, and visitation if you divorce.
Housing Benefits
  • Living in neighborhoods zoned for "families only."
  • Automatically renewing leases signed by your spouse.
Consumer Benefits
  • Receiving family rates for health, homeowners', auto, and other types of insurance.
  • Receiving tuition discounts and permission to use school facilities.
  • Other consumer discounts and incentives offered only to married couples or families.
Other Legal Benefits and Protections
  • Suing a third person for wrongful death of your spouse and loss of consortium (loss of intimacy).
  • Suing a third person for offenses that interfere with the success of your marriage, such as alienation of affection and criminal conversation (these laws are available in only a few states).
  • Claiming the marital communications privilege, which means a court can't force you to disclose the contents of confidential communications between you and your spouse during your marriage.
  • Receiving crime victims' recovery benefits if your spouse is the victim of a crime.
  • Obtaining immigration and residency benefits for noncitizen spouse.
  • Visiting rights in jails and other places where visitors are restricted to immediate family.
Your lack of knowledge about life in the real world is franking beyond my comprehension.
There are a great many 'four letter words' that are not allowed on these forums, but one that some find very offensive and would probably wish to have censored, even banned. Oh you wonder what the word is?

Spoiler
FACT

Old 01-15-2014, 04:21 PM

150 posts, read 183,441 times
Quote:
Gays can't get married to the same sex i.e the ones that they fall in love with. I believe that's something that a gay man such as myself can't do legally.

Old 01-15-2014, 04:47 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,260,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okipower120190 View Post
Gays can't get married to the same sex i.e the ones that they fall in love with. I believe that's something that a gay man such as myself can't do legally.
C'mon up here to Canada. We're a quaint, fun-loving, and eminently sensible people. We've allowed same-sex marriage for a few years now and last I checked, society hasn't crumbled.

Old 01-15-2014, 04:51 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,251,364 times
Quote:
Can I marry a woman, just like you can, and have all of the legal protections that marriage provides?

No?

Then I have just proven that I am being denied equal protection of the laws.

Old 01-15-2014, 04:53 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,215,953 times
Shocking that Vizio has ignored my questions? Shocking I tell you!!!!!!!

Old 01-15-2014, 04:55 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,251,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
How about if someone said about Same Sex Marriage/Homosexuality the EXACT same things that are said about Religion/God Belief that is commonly posted up on this board?

It is so hypocritical for those that get all twisted up when their "Moral Standards" are criticized to then get all critical and hateful toward others for holding their differing "Moral Standards".

No "moral standard"...regardless of source or basis...has any greater merit or validity than any other "moral standard". It's all subjective personal opinion.
All are wrong for hating anyone else for their differing "moral standard"...Tolerance (and love for fellow man) is where it's at.
They do. Have you even read this thread, which is quite tame compared to those in P&OC.

Go read those in P&OC and tell me that we aren't being called everything imaginable. We are compared to pedophiles and bestiality practices daily, we are called deviants, abominations, and anything else you can imagine. All because we want the same legal protections that other Americans enjoy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality