Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What's the Number One Reason Why People don't Believe God Exists?
Don't want God judging them 11 12.79%
Don't care either way 4 4.65%
Not enough evidence 59 68.60%
Existence has naturalistic origins 12 13.95%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2014, 10:41 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Ditto. (Though I don't mind dubbing that Source "Creator/Great Mystery/All-Mother" and other names. But I don't use "God/god" because the word has become so sullied by Christians.)
I've been thinking about doing the same for a similar reason. I've not ceased to be amazed, after months of reading these threads, at the things people say while cloaking themselves in their religion. It's been an eye-opening lesson to say the least.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 01-29-2014 at 11:07 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2014, 12:27 PM

2,417 posts, read 1,448,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
It seems to me that finding out why people don't believe is unlikely to be very well answered in the Christianity forum. Most of the people that post here already believe and are unable to read the minds of the unbelievers.

However, if you go over to the A&A forum, you can ready several many threads covering the same topic, often created by a Christian asking for information from the A&A regulars.

I already know most agnostics and atheists will agree with my answer, that's why I originally posted this topic in the Christian forum. I wanted to know the opinions there. I'm sure perhaps they wouldn't agree that it's because of evidence or a lack of evidence. Yet now I don't think this topic will be productive here. If it comes to my answer here, I would be preaching to the choir in a sense.

Old 01-29-2014, 01:03 PM

6,324 posts, read 4,323,868 times
I don't really think that Christians ought to be encouraged to tell atheists why we don't believe in God, anyway. We can speak for ourselves.

Old 01-29-2014, 01:08 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,448,803 times
This should be so easy for the theists in this thread to understand. You do not believe in any of the gods out there except for one. Why do you not believe in any of the others?

Got it?

Old 01-29-2014, 01:25 PM

4,883 posts, read 6,212,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Ditto. (Though I don't mind dubbing that Source "Creator/Great Mystery/All-Mother" and other names. But I don't use "God/god" because the word has become so sullied by Christians.)
I agree...I try to stay away from the term God because people tend to think that I believe in the God that is represented in the Bible and I certainly don't!

Old 01-29-2014, 01:50 PM

27,566 posts, read 28,665,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavenese View Post
So, what would you say is perhaps the number one reason why someone doesn't believe in God's existence? Now of course, believing God exist or don't exist is not faith. Faith simply mean you trust someone. Yet I'll indulge a little here, just to keep things simple.
If the Judeo-Christian God really did exist, then we could point a telescope to the sky and see this God creating stars and planets in our universe, right?

Because that's what it actually says God does in the Bible?

Old 01-29-2014, 02:03 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pastorALly View Post

A few years ago was the 100th anniversary of Glacier National Park. We packed the car and went, staying an entire week spending 1-2 nights in each of the Park's lodges. What we saw can all be explained tidily by science. However, when we all huddled together in the Adirondack chairs outside the door of Motel Lake McDonald absorbing views like this it said God to all of us.

That absorbing view says "Great Spirit" to the Blackfoot who were there LONG before the National Park Service - or the Bible - got there.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 01-29-2014 at 02:28 PM..

Old 01-29-2014, 07:01 PM

5,189 posts, read 5,335,772 times
Because there is not, nor has there ever been, a single shred of evidence for Yahweh or any other invisible supernatural being who controls our destinies.

That isn't to say such a being (or beings) absolutely doesn't exist in some corner of the cosmos or some dimensional realm. We just have no evidence of any such thing and therefore, no reason to default to the belief in gods.

Old 01-29-2014, 07:20 PM

2,441 posts, read 2,608,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roscomac View Post
This should be so easy for the theists in this thread to understand. You do not believe in any of the gods out there except for one. Why do you not believe in any of the others?

Got it?

Christians; take the way you feel about Scientologists. That how we feel about you.

Old 01-29-2014, 08:48 PM

484 posts, read 882,843 times
I think a better question is "What is the number one reason people believe God DOES exist?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality