Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2013, 08:02 AM

170 posts, read 373,396 times

Advertisements

It reminds me of the Alcoholics Anonymous community. Once you've been there for a while, know a lot of people, have professed your dedication to the program and so forth, it's very hard to leave. I'm not saying they coerce you into staying; what I'm trying to say is that there's a heavy social cost placed on the group if you leave, so heavy that a lot of people simply stay regardless of having dropped their personal belief in the program. After all, you have all these friends who believe you're headed to "Death, Institutionalization or Jail" if you stray from their core beliefs.

It's like that with religions. How do you officially leave your religion when all your friends believe that doing so will send you to eternal torment? Additionally, no one wants to be the dissenting voice that ruins the group vibe by exposing it's fallacies.

I think you'd be surprised by how many continue to attend church despite private unbelief.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2013, 08:06 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,198,967 times
I completely agree.

Old 11-25-2013, 10:42 AM

624 posts, read 1,072,217 times
I also agree. Another factor is the family. In my case, my wife is very devout and I am a fairly new atheist, who was as devout as my wife when we were married. Once you add family and children into the equation, leaving becomes even tougher.

Old 11-25-2013, 12:31 PM

9,130 posts, read 20,018,788 times
Agreed. Peer pressure can be a very powerful thing.

Old 11-25-2013, 12:40 PM

20,007 posts, read 13,491,416 times
There are many forms of inertia, this is just one. People don't change unless the pain of change is less than the pain of not changing.

Old 11-25-2013, 12:57 PM

1,975 posts, read 1,941,965 times
once they get enough money and can afford to leave they will

Old 11-25-2013, 01:10 PM

199 posts, read 591,863 times
I enjoy going to church every once in a while.

I like the mellow vibe, the coffee and donuts, and being amongst others in a safe setting.

If you're afraid of the potential backlash from not going to church, fear not. Yes, a few people might feel saddened at first, but eventually they'll move on with their lives and not give it a second thought.

Old 11-25-2013, 03:44 PM

20,007 posts, read 13,491,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meester-Chung View Post
once they get enough money and can afford to leave they will
It is not just a matter of money, or even often IMO unless maybe you are a young person forced to play along to get along until you are financially independent. Even there, what's the root cause? Social pressure, particularly from family. Family, cultural, ethnic expectations ... the implicit or explicit threat of marginalization or outright ostracization in their many forms. The withdraw of love, social support, acceptance, companionship.

Then there is the whole issue of hellthreat, fear of disapproval or persecution, fear of various kinds of temporal and non-temporal forms of retribution.

The fear of losing perceived moral anchors and becoming morally degenerate.

Vulnerability to guilt and shame, and all the guilting and shaming tactics that can come from church, family and society toward non-conforming members.

General inertia. The fear of destabilizing one's family, particularly one's own children. Fear of rocking the boat.

What is the theme? Fear, guilt, shame, loneliness. Religion is great at manipulating the human condition.

Old 11-26-2013, 09:11 AM

170 posts, read 373,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evesadam View Post
I enjoy going to church every once in a while.

I like the mellow vibe, the coffee and donuts, and being amongst others in a safe setting.
That's how I feel about going to AA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality