Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2014, 06:27 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,969,381 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
Well that's odd ... because it would seem to me that maturity goes in the opposite direction, from religion to science and not the other way around.
LOL, no no no, science proves God's existence just as it proves evolution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2014, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orogenicman View Post
No, I'd say that science has matured plenty in the last 400 years, certainly enough to dispel any notion that Bishop Ussher's ridiculous genealogy is of any significant scientific merit.

After all, it was a devout Catholic who made the observation:

"I think that in the discussion of natural problems we ought to begin not with the scriptures, but with experiments, demonstrations, and observations".

- Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

Isn't it wonderful that we can today make such observations without the risk of home incarceration?
If we went by experiments, demonstrations and observations then evolution would not be believed nor uniformitarianism but rather catastrophism.

But you are correct about Ussher. The earth has to be much older than the date he assigned to it.

Old 02-26-2014, 08:29 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,723,660 times
Amazing. I find it hard to believe you seriously mean that after pretty much all your attempts to provide some kind of sound basis for your views have crashed and burnt. I'd almost think you were just trying to wind us up. But flat denial of the scientifically validated results and evidence as distinct from the poor or wrong science used to push the arguments for Creationism seems to be your line when everything has sunk without leaving a bubble.

I'm not even going to ask why you think Usher was wrong. Am I far wrong if I guess that you dismiss his views as easily as you dismiss everything lese, because they do not accord with your rather odd 1st and ancient earth theory?

Old 02-26-2014, 08:40 AM

3,423 posts, read 3,214,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
If we went by experiments, demonstrations and observations then evolution would not be believed nor uniformitarianism but rather catastrophism.

But you are correct about Ussher. The earth has to be much older than the date he assigned to it.
And exactly how do you suppose that we figured out how old the Earth is, that evolution occurs, and that uniformitarianism is the norm with respect to Earth processes? Experiments, demonstrations, and observations.

Old 02-26-2014, 09:12 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,723,660 times
And the ones that are supposed to support Creationism just don't and the objections to the ones that support evolution, deep time and uniformity of processes also don't stand up too well - note the argument from sunken aircraft. Pretty easily answered. Ice cores still valid

Objection from Mt. St Helens and other volcanic events. sloppy method - so sloppy that, when done by a per veritam geologist one wonders why, since he would never have been so sloppy in his scientific work. One suspects that the important thing is to get the required answer - How you get it isn't important, because.... (Revelation) It is only to substantiate what you Know (by Faith) is true anyway.

Old 02-26-2014, 10:48 AM

Quote:
And exactly how do you suppose that we figured out how old the Earth is, that evolution occurs, and that uniformitarianism is the norm with respect to Earth processes? Experiments, demonstrations, and observations.
In a word: "magic."

Old 02-26-2014, 11:11 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,604,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
Well that's odd ... because it would seem to me that maturity goes in the opposite direction, from religion to science and not the other way around.
And, Christians have had no problem adopting scientific practices and maturing because of them up to now. Why on earth stop at creation? The two hardly mesh, or make any sense. Ug, I'm afraid it's just the pit bull holding on regardless of the whistle blowing. These are just the left overs. To the future I go then.........

Old 02-26-2014, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
Amazing. I find it hard to believe you seriously mean that after pretty much all your attempts to provide some kind of sound basis for your views have crashed and burnt.
You must be looking yourself in the mirror and telling yourself that.

Old 02-26-2014, 12:51 PM

63,813 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
In a word: "magic."
Are there any questions about the play book used on these issues now? It is what caused Rifleman's(RIP) posts to become so enjoyable once he figured it out on the Noah's Ark threads.

Old 02-26-2014, 01:19 PM

7,381 posts, read 7,693,440 times
Bill Nye: The Science Guy - Pseudoscience (Full Episode) - YouTube

This should have been played during the debate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality