Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2014, 02:44 PM

3,026 posts, read 3,648,651 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fair Winds View Post
Scientific evidence and biblical issues? Never the twain shall meet!!
Let's not get stupid. Not 100% of the Bible is fiction... unless you are a conspiracy theorist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2014, 03:13 PM

2,464 posts, read 6,469,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
The same scientific peer reviewed, published in respected scientific journals you can find that God does not exist.
I take that as a "I don't have any proof." Fair enough.

Old 02-24-2014, 03:18 PM

2,464 posts, read 6,469,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCfromNC View Post
I get what you're saying, but it's more like faith conflicting with actual data rather than two conflicting pieces of data.
You're right. I didn't clarify that.

Old 02-24-2014, 09:18 PM

1,457 posts, read 6,032,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glacierx View Post
Not true.
There is plenty undiscovered in the USA. With Bristlecone's dated over 5000 years, it may be safer to say there are none known yet, but it seems possible.

Science Daily has an article on a tree in Sweden over 9000 years old ...

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0416104320.htm

Quote:

Sorry, Dude, but I call B.S. on this one.
Glacierx in reply to redwood ages ...

I'd say 3000 is possible, and would not be surprised if there is a Coast Redwood up to even 4000 years. It may not be possible to know, because the centers of some hollow-out, plus, redwood rings are not a good gauge for years. They can double rings or omit rings.

Bet this Coast Redwood is over 100 years though ...

Old 02-24-2014, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceist View Post

I thought Bill's best tactic was giving easily understood evidence against a 6000 year old earth and a global flood.
I'm a biblical believer myself, but would concur that almost anyone trying to claim creation in the 6000 year, even 20,000 year, time-frame is going to get creamed in a debate.

It boils-down to a a mistranslation in Genesis Chapter 1.

Many version read the in the beginning, God created the heaven and the Earth, and that the Earth WAS without form and void.

There was not a Hebrew or Aramaic word WAS, but there is the word BECAME ...

Acurately, the scripture without man meddling or muddling translation, teaches that God created the heaven and Earth, and it then became withou out form and void. (Tohu va Bohu / a figure of speech Paranomasia or Rhyming words for emphasis) . No specific number of years is mentioned, so it's open to being thousands, millions or billions of years.

I find that concurs with the scientific minds I listen too, because they often talk about catastrophic things happening to the Earth such as comet, meteorites, volcanic eruptions, ice age, etc., that devasted great amounts of life on the planet.

Genesis chapter 1 gives room for that science within two verses. The goes on about how life replenished the Earth again. Basically what I hear from the scientific minds ... that certain life has vanished from the face of the Earth, giving way to new and different and abundant life forms.

The confusion seems to stem from religious people who get hell-bent on their misinterpretations and mistranslations. They they end up getting egg in the face.

Old 02-24-2014, 09:40 PM

3,026 posts, read 3,648,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekerSA View Post
OK you win Happy now?
Just keeping you on your toes.

As for the ice cores, the Vostok ice-core indicates that the minimum age of the earth is 160,000 years +/- 15,000 years. Something tells me that 160,000 years is a little longer than 6,000 years. Interesting stuff on the various means by which they date ice cores: http://www.academia.edu/2602359/Meth...ting_Ice_Cores

Old 02-24-2014, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Just keeping you on your toes.

As for the ice cores, the Vostok ice-core indicates that the minimum age of the earth is 160,000 years +/- 15,000 years. Something tells me that 160,000 years is a little longer than 6,000 years.
Scripture / Spritual vs. a pure Science mind debate is often a bad fit.

I think science is good, but I'm not sure if scientists honestly ever can approach creation as if it were possible, or IF God could exist ... and IF he existed, what IS his potential.

In other words ...

Suppose there was a God, and that God had the power to create an Earth, solar system, many solar systems, and the universe, with amazing details and precision.

If HE had that power, why could he not create even 10 days ago, a solar system that had the molecular composition and characteristics that man would classify as 20 million years old?

It's all atoms and molecules right? So if a God could create them in one arrangement, why not ANY arrangement?

Old 02-25-2014, 03:24 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,975,571 times
Quote:
Let's not get stupid. Not 100% of the Bible is fiction... unless you are a conspiracy theorist.
Voted: Sentence of the week.

Old 02-25-2014, 03:48 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,389,418 times
Quote:
So what percentage do you think is fiction?

Old 02-25-2014, 05:03 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,738,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceist View Post
So what percentage do you think is fiction?
Roughly 70%. There is a lot of mix, but I'd generally say that the stuff about the Assyrian attacks, Babylonian exile, Persian release, Alexandrian and Seleucid wars and the Maccabean revolt is historically - based and there is a factual basis to the Gospels, Acts and Paul's letters - about 205 factuality as a ballpark figure and purely my own guesstimate. But you were asking.

The rest is invention, speculation and myth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality