Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2014, 01:19 PM

5,563 posts, read 7,223,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
Did they cut down that tree and count all the growth rings?
The tree's common root system is carbon dated. Ever heard of a coring tool?

The same technique is used to do varves, ice cores and while you think trees are rebutted, you have two others that that not only age the planet, they also record SEASONS, particularly varves which have annual pollen deposits.

Your ancient goatherders lived in a desert and as such did not see any evidence for an old earth.
Quote:

Also, there should only be approximately 4,500 growth rings even if it was over 6,000 years old since, prior to Noah's world-wide flood, the world did not have different seasons which would put trees into dormancy.
California Reds are over 6000 years old. Trees do not only record annual growth, they record good and lean years. You know that pesky photosynthesis process that converts CO2 to O2, the C goes into the tree, it does not simply "vanish" (Gr9 Science)
Quote:
The small Limber Pine tree in California, which I have seen while back packing in the wilderness, is supposed to be 2,000 years old.
Whoopee as if this proves anything, Did you chop it down to see how old it was?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2014, 01:19 PM

5,458 posts, read 6,723,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommabear2 View Post
I don't think annual rings hold much sway with them (young earth creationist) either. That's one of the things Bill Nye was talking about on a recent interview on how an age of a tree is determined (which people should know already. It's basic biology.). If YEC's are throwing out numbers that are younger than the oldest living things that are variably older, then there's conflicting data.
I get what you're saying, but it's more like faith conflicting with actual data rather than two conflicting pieces of data.

Old 02-24-2014, 01:21 PM

7,381 posts, read 7,702,298 times
Quote:
Why would I say "the earth did not tilt on its axis" when it surely did?

Of course the tilt of the earth causes seasons. My point is that prior to the flood the earth did not tilt on its axis.
Huh? Your last sentence begs your question be answered.

Old 02-24-2014, 01:25 PM

3,026 posts, read 3,654,542 times
Quote:
When they discovered Noah's Ark, the petrified wood that had pitch on it did not have rings.

This site: CCMR - Ask A Scientist! state:

"You know what's kind of neat? Trees native to places where temperature and day length stay the same all
the time don't produce annual rings. They may make rings, but you can't use them to tell how old a tree is."

The earth tilted at its current tilt either during or right after the flood in Noah's day.

This explains a lot of it. The Mars-Earth Wars, by Patten and Windsor
We are getting to broad in scope here. The debate on whether or not Noah's Ark was found is another topic. I will say that the claims of the Ark has been found are dubious at best, and there is no evidence that the wood did not contain rings. Even as you said, tree would contain rings, but they wouldn't be able to be used to tell the age of the tree.

Why do you say there were no seasons before Noah? As far as I can tell both science of the Bible are agnostic on this question. ie. they do not find any evidence to support such a claim. There are no trees on earth with 9,000 rings, so what is the purpose of perpetuating such a story of a season-less climate if it does nothing to bolster the Young Earth Creationist position?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekerSA View Post
California Reds are over 6000 years old.
Sorry, Dude, but I call B.S. on this one.

Old 02-24-2014, 01:32 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,996,561 times
Quote:
The tree's common root system is carbon dated. Ever heard of a coring tool?

The same technique is used to do varves, ice cores and while you think trees are rebutted, you have two others that that not only age the planet, they also record SEASONS, particularly varves which have annual pollen deposits.

Your ancient goatherders lived in a desert and as such did not see any evidence for an old earth.

California Reds are over 6000 years old. Trees do not only record annual growth, they record good and lean years. You know that pesky photosynthesis process that converts CO2 to O2, the C goes into the tree, it does not simply "vanish" (Gr9 Science)

Whoopee as if this proves anything, Did you chop it down to see how old it was?
How old are the oldest redwoods? Some redwoods live to 2,000 years. source: Frequently Asked Questions - Redwood National and State Parks (U.S. National Park Service)

We are talking about trees that grow without seasons.

Old 02-24-2014, 01:57 PM

Quote:
How old are the oldest redwoods? Some redwoods live to 2,000 years. source: Frequently Asked Questions - Redwood National and State Parks (U.S. National Park Service)

We are talking about trees that grow without seasons.
OK, maybe Nay California Reds, I did not look it up this time but there are trees in the US at 6k+ years old.

Technically, a tree does not record seasons, it records annual growth. Which in the broadest sense is a sum of a winter and a summer. I am not going to waste my time teaching you HOW tree rings work, you should have lurned that at skool.

Now what about carves and ice cores? Those records are waaay older than the oldest tree and waaaay older than your fludd and none of the recorded a global deluge. Both of them would have in that the ice in Antarctica would only have 4,500 years of layers; there are 400 THOUSAND to 780 THOUSAND YEARS of layers so far extracted. The same CORING technique is used in ALL of these measurements. You know, drill a hole with a hollow drill, extract the core and count the lines.

GISP2 ice core at 1837 meters depth with clearly visible annual layers. (That is over a mile deep)

Old 02-24-2014, 02:07 PM

3,026 posts, read 3,654,542 times
Quote:
OK, maybe Nay California Reds, I did not look it up this time but there are trees in the US at 6k+ years old.
Not true.

Old 02-24-2014, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glacierx View Post
Not true.
OK you win Happy now?

Old 02-24-2014, 02:25 PM

37,181 posts, read 41,370,467 times
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prometheus_(tree)

"In 2012 a bristlecone pine in California's White Mountains was measured by Tom Harlan to be 5062 years old, making it the oldest known tree in North America and the oldest known individual tree in the world."

"Certain sprouting (clonal) organisms, such as creosote bush or aspen, may have older individuals if the entire clonal organism is considered. By that standard, the oldest living organism is a grove of quaking aspens in Utah known as Pando, at perhaps as much as 80,000 years old. But in a clonal organism the individual clonal stems are nowhere near as old, and no part of the organism is particularly old at any given time."

More on Pando:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pando_(tree)

Creosote bush:

King Clone - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 02-24-2014, 02:40 PM

6 posts, read 5,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glacierx View Post
Whatever, depends what version you read. The Bible is but one source of knowledge (which seems to be agnostic about seasons if I take your version). Why wouldn't there be seasons in the pre-flood time? Do you have any sort of scientific evidence for this? ie. petrified trees without rings. Remember, even tropical trees today have rings despite little variation from season to season.
Scientific evidence and biblical issues? Never the twain shall meet!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality