Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2014, 12:10 PM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts

Advertisements

Theists want us to believe that a ALL-POWERFUL MAGICIAN can make a rabbit come out of a hat -- without the rabbit or the hat.

At least atheists have the hat and the rabbit.

And for that matter -- the magician.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2014, 02:29 PM

650 posts, read 514,256 times
how could man imagine a God could break all the laws of physic's, thats not fair.

Old 02-16-2014, 01:15 PM

174 posts, read 305,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roscomac View Post
This is perhaps a fitting finale to this thread, because it demonstrates the futility of attempting to have a discussion when there is no common understanding of terminology -- not to mention the fact that you apparently did not even read the link you posted. The statement of mine that you purport to refute with the link is that the large majority of Americans are Christians “and thus creationists.” This statement is true by definition. It is impossible to be a Christian without a belief that we live in a created reality of which the God of the Bible is the creator. Anyone who claims to be a Christian but denies that we live in a created reality of which the God of the Bible is the creator is simply using the term "Christian" in the sense of "admirer of Jesus," but this is not a Christian by any even vaguely orthodox definition. Every Christian is a creationist in this basic sense of believing in the creator God, regardless of whether he or she is a Young Earth Creationist,an Old Earth Creationist or simply someone who believes we live in a created reality of which the God of the Bible is the creator without any interest in the difference between the Young Earth and Old Earth views. From the Stanford Dictionary of Philosophy: “At a broad level, a Creationist is someone who believes in a god who is absolute creator of heaven and earth, out of nothing, by an act of free will. Such adeity is generally thought to be constantly involved (‘immanent’) in the creation, ready to intervene as necessary, and without whose constant concern the creation would cease or disappear. Christians,Jews, and Muslims are all Creationists in this sense.”

You and several others on this thread seem to believe that the term “creationist” implies Young Earth Creationist – which, as my original post on this thread makes clear, is simply not true. The link you posted concerns a Gallup poll in which 46% of Americans (not just Christians) identified themselves as Young Earth Creationists: “Forty-six percentof Americans believe in the creationist view that God created humans in their present form at one time within the last 10,000 years. The prevalence of this creationist view of the origin of humans is essentially unchanged from 30 years ago, when Gallup first asked the question. About a third of Americans believe that humans evolved, but with God's guidance; 15% say humans evolved, but that God had no part in the process.” The poll thus actually supports precisely what I originally said.

Those opposed to Christianity have co-opted the term “creationism” to mean “anti-science” or “anti-evolution,” when most Christians are neither anti-science nor anti-evolution (but certainly do believe we live in a created reality of which the God of the Bible is the creator). This is like the homosexual community's co-opting of the term “gay.” This thread thus makes about as much sense as if I had said that most Christians are “cheerful and gay,” meaning happy, and had launched a debate in which many posters took me to task for suggesting that most Christians are cheerful homosexuals. I am not obligated to use the term “gay” to mean “homosexual,” and I am likewise not obligated to use the term “creationist” to mean “anti-science” or “anti-evolution" just because this is how atheists would like to frame the discussion.

Old 02-16-2014, 01:27 PM

6,324 posts, read 4,325,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Venerable Bede View Post
This is perhaps a fitting finale to this thread, because it demonstrates the futility of attempting to have a discussion when there is no common understanding of terminology -- not to mention the fact that you apparently did not even read the link you posted. The statement of mine that you purport to refute with the link is that the large majority of Americans are Christians “and thus creationists.” This statement is true by definition. It is impossible to be a Christian without a belief that we live in a created reality of which the God of the Bible is the creator. Anyone who claims to be a Christian but denies that we live in a created reality of which the God of the Bible is the creator is simply using the term "Christian" in the sense of "admirer of Jesus," but this is not a Christian by any even vaguely orthodox definition. Every Christian is a creationist in this basic sense of believing in the creator God, regardless of whether he or she is a Young Earth Creationist,an Old Earth Creationist or simply someone who believes we live in a created reality of which the God of the Bible is the creator without any interest in the difference between the Young Earth and Old Earth views. From the Stanford Dictionary of Philosophy: “At a broad level, a Creationist is someone who believes in a god who is absolute creator of heaven and earth, out of nothing, by an act of free will. Such adeity is generally thought to be constantly involved (‘immanent’) in the creation, ready to intervene as necessary, and without whose constant concern the creation would cease or disappear. Christians,Jews, and Muslims are all Creationists in this sense.”

You and several others on this thread seem to believe that the term “creationist” implies Young Earth Creationist – which, as my original post on this thread makes clear, is simply not true. The link you posted concerns a Gallup poll in which 46% of Americans (not just Christians) identified themselves as Young Earth Creationists: “Forty-six percentof Americans believe in the creationist view that God created humans in their present form at one time within the last 10,000 years. The prevalence of this creationist view of the origin of humans is essentially unchanged from 30 years ago, when Gallup first asked the question. About a third of Americans believe that humans evolved, but with God's guidance; 15% say humans evolved, but that God had no part in the process.” The poll thus actually supports precisely what I originally said.

Those opposed to Christianity have co-opted the term “creationism” to mean “anti-science” or “anti-evolution,” when most Christians are neither anti-science nor anti-evolution (but certainly do believe we live in a created reality of which the God of the Bible is the creator). This is like the homosexual community's co-opting of the term “gay.” This thread thus makes about as much sense as if I had said that most Christians are “cheerful and gay,” meaning happy, and had launched a debate in which many posters took me to task for suggesting that most Christians are cheerful homosexuals. I am not obligated to use the term “gay” to mean “homosexual,” and I am likewise not obligated to use the term “creationist” to mean “anti-science” or “anti-evolution" just because this is how atheists would like to frame the discussion.
If you are a Young Earth Creationist, you are, by default, anti-science. You CANNOT be pro-science and a proponent of Young Earth Creationism - even if you try abysmally to use science to prove an unscientific claim.

If almost a majority of people (who are undoubtedly Christians) actually believe in YEC (something that really makes me ashamed to be an American, I might add), then almost a majority of Americans are anti-science.

Yeah, I get what you're saying about being a "creationist," but I suppose most of us assume that a "creationist" is someone who believes humans were created from a pile of dirt and a rib in our present form. It mostly applies to evolution, not the Big Bang, and thus those Christians who believe that we evolved aren't usually considered to be creationists. The fact that Christians believe that God created the universe is a given ... the word "creationist" is used to describe that special brand of Christian who actually thinks the story of Adam and Eve belongs in a history book.

Old 02-21-2014, 09:27 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,389,418 times
Classic 'arguments' about evolution from a Creationist:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBHEsEshhLs

Sound familiar?

Old 02-21-2014, 09:41 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,975,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiloh1 View Post
Theists want us to believe that a ALL-POWERFUL MAGICIAN can make a rabbit come out of a hat -- without the rabbit or the hat.

At least atheists have the hat and the rabbit.

And for that matter -- the magician.
You need to rephrase your first sentence to: **Some** Theists . . . ."

I don't believe God created the universe out of nothing. The bible doesn't say so.

Old 02-21-2014, 12:46 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,738,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
You need to rephrase your first sentence to: **Some** Theists . . . ."

I don't believe God created the universe out of nothing. The bible doesn't say so.
Then you consider that the basic matter was there to begin with? Where did it come from?

Old 02-21-2014, 02:01 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,975,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
Then you consider that the basic matter was there to begin with? Where did it come from?
The Bible says "all is out of God."

Old 02-21-2014, 03:09 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,195,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
The Bible says "all is out of God."
So he pooped the universe?

Kewl.

Old 02-21-2014, 04:02 PM

6,324 posts, read 4,325,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
So he pooped the universe?

Kewl.
But ... where did God get the food that he ate to process into poop in order to create the universe?

Since there was nothing but God floating around then ....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality