Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2014, 05:04 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,538,091 times

Advertisements

1 in 4 Americans Don't Know Earth Orbits the Sun. Yes, Really. : Discovery News

"Schools across the nation are currently facing the unthinkable notion of teaching creationism alongside evolution in science classrooms. The fact that religion is given the same standing as science is not only absurd, it's a fundamental institutional failing where children (who may be excited to learn about science) will grow up with a second-rate education, neglecting decades of scientific knowledge in favor of pseudo-scientific religious agendas."

Never underestimate the power of stupid people especially in large numbers. This is a real threat to our future, as a country, we will be unable to compete with the rest of the world. Actually we're pretty damn close to that right now. Second class education system, work ethics in the crapper.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2014, 05:39 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,085,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post

"Schools across the nation are currently facing the unthinkable notion of teaching creationism alongside evolution in science classrooms. The fact that religion is given the same standing as science is not only absurd, it's a fundamental institutional failing where children (who may be excited to learn about science) will grow up with a second-rate education, neglecting decades of scientific knowledge in favor of pseudo-scientific religious agendas."

Never underestimate the power of stupid people especially in large numbers. This is a real threat to our future, as a country, we will be unable to compete with the rest of the world. Actually we're pretty damn close to that right now. Second class education system, work ethics in the crapper.
This is one time I really wish I could disagree with you. I really and truly want to point out you are wrong and you don't know what you are talking about.

But, I can't.

Your post is True

Old 02-15-2014, 05:42 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,550,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post

I guess I'll waste a post.

Stupider than whom? Angola, Egypt, Mexico, Argentina, Italy, France, Albania, Russia, North Korea, Thailand, Romania, Australia, Europe in general and etc?

And where do live that teaching creationism is mandated? Not in Sunny CA or rainy OR and WA. Dry AZ and NM??? I see nothing. Fact is 99% plus of the folk in my church know the earth orbits the sun.

Me thinks your anti Christian mindset is "starting" to influence your thinking.

The good news is that the US is ahead of Europe in this matter: 1 In 4 Americans Thinks The Sun Goes Around The Earth, Survey Says | KALW From the article:

Only 66 percent of people in a 2005 European Union poll answered the basic astronomy answer correctly.

Article: International Science Poll Shows Many People Believe in Myths, Not in History | OpEdNews
74% of Americans know that the Earth goes around the sun, rather than the sun going around the Earth. 86% of South Koreans know this scientific fact. But only 66% of Europeans do, 70% of Indians do, and 72% of Malaysians do. (Other countries weren't surveyed on that question.)

Seems to be a universal problem. But at least the US is ahead of unreligious Europe.

Old 02-15-2014, 06:00 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,189,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
74% of Americans know that the Earth goes around the sun,
Which means 26% of Americans don't. That is millions and millions of Americans who don't know one of the most basic facts about how the solar system works. That's our future: MILLIONS of Americans who don't know the Earth orbits the Sun.

SMH.

I don't want a country that is "at least" ahead of Europe. I want a country that leads the world in knowledge. Seventy Four percent isn't good enough. It's not even close.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 02-15-2014 at 06:16 PM..

Old 02-15-2014, 06:07 PM

825 posts, read 1,034,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Seems to be a universal problem. But at least the US is ahead of unreligious Europe.
How so? The nonreligious countries score far higher in science than the us and the religious european countries.

Old 02-15-2014, 06:08 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,153,827 times
I don't see anything in that article that shows a link between christianity and the poll results. My guess is that poor inner city groups probably would score just as low as poor bible belt groups. Without knowing the demographic breakdown of who was polled I wouldn't want to draw any conclusions on why. Perhaps that type of information is available.

Old 02-15-2014, 07:20 PM

5,362 posts, read 5,139,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Which means 26% of Americans don't. That is millions and millions of Americans who don't know one of the most basic facts about how the solar system works. That's our future: MILLIONS of Americans who don't know the Earth orbits the Sun.

SMH.

I don't want a country that is "at least" ahead of Europe. I want a country that leads the world in knowledge. Seventy Four percent isn't good enough. It's not even close.
My answer, mandate every student to read 1000 citydata posts. They will be much wiser for it.

Old 02-15-2014, 07:41 PM

4,612 posts, read 4,896,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
Since devout Muslims do not believe we humans evolved from other animals, when do you think the first humans were created?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
we do not believe human's were created here on the physical Earth but were created in a location called "Eden" or Paradise" etc. It was after all things on earth were created that man-kind was placed on Earth.

Generally Muslims accept the Judaic concept of Creation.

I think you will find most Muslims accept evolution of all life forms except man.

My own opinion is we are a late arrival on Earth. Although we could have been created elsewhere billions of years ago.
You see, Christians are not the only people who believe in "creationism".

By the way, the only arguments about evolution I have had on this DG are with an Orthodox Jew.

Old 02-15-2014, 07:42 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,189,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
My answer, mandate every student to read 1000 citydata posts. They will be much wiser for it.
I think there would have to be a bar set. And it would have to be very high. (Think Everest. Not Ararat.)

Old 02-15-2014, 07:57 PM

484 posts, read 883,158 times
America might not be the "stupidest country on the planet" persay, but it is saddening to think how poorly the US has managed its resources. When you look at what the US has: an excellent highway infrastructure, stable democracy, free (mostly quality) k-12 education, abundant natural resources, top notch healthcare, and the highest nominal GDP it is embarrassing to see the violent crime rate, poverty rate, astronomically priced and inefficient healthcare and other such mishaps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality