Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 04:08 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,231,007 times

Advertisements

I know what a trance is.
Some relatives of mine in Indonesia are considered shamans and they see trance as a possession done by your ancestors or other spirit.
I just define trance as an ego-less state of being. Some come to it via rituals (which art can be a part of), other through 'religion', and some through meditation.
I get to this ego-less state by focussing.
At first I needed to draw, later on I could achieve it through meditation (which actually is like art except you do not move) and now I enter it through analysing or observing or whenever I feel inspired.
I don't find it spiritual or supernatural at all, but most of my relatives, the shamans especially, insist that it can only be magic.

And no I still do not believe in astral travelling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2007, 09:07 AM

2,957 posts, read 7,383,675 times
As a kid I had a few typical "astral projection" experiences.
I would hover and float around my house - even going into rooms where other family members were and seeing them awake.
I couldn't control it, but I would "float" around randomly. As soon as I started thinking "hey, I should try to control this - maybe I can float right out of the house - maybe around the world!" I would start to feel afraid, and then "wake up" in my bed.
It fit perfectly with stuff I read about astral projection, but I can't be sure that I wasn't simply dreaming. It fit that description, too. Very "real" feeling, though. And happened the same way each time.

Old 12-03-2007, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Very "real" feeling, though. And happened the same way each time.
Try differentiating dreams from hallucinations, visions, and reality.
Some people call dreams visions and others call reality a hallucination.
And don't get my started about modern philosophy in which nothing is real.

Last edited by Tricky D; 12-03-2007 at 09:56 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 12-03-2007, 11:57 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,506,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanLeeParis View Post
2.a dazed or bewildered condition.

I am sticking with this definition..

Old 12-03-2007, 01:13 PM

Quote:
2.a dazed or bewildered condition.
Do I seem bewildered?
I often get in a trancelike state when I sculpt.
When I sculpt my brain often tries to solve an abstract problem by focusing on it, while my hands work 'on their own' on my sculpture.

Normally my brain runs at a 100 m/h, and only when I sculpt do I find it necessary to slow down a bit. So only through sculpting or sleeping do my brains stop running a 100 m/h.

Old 12-04-2007, 02:10 AM

1,807 posts, read 1,891,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Isn't that not the same as being in a trance?
I should probably elaborate:

At the time, I was in a bath. I quite clearly remember falling asleep (not the brightest of things to do in a tub full of water, I know), and (vaguely) remember 'seeing' my surroundings in that state. I was awakened on each occasion by the sound of my hand (which I had leaned my head against) smacking down against the water.

It's happened more than once, so I've dismissed the possibility that I was simply dreaming. Besides which, my dreams are never so very specific as to a time and place.

Old 12-04-2007, 05:33 PM

3,162 posts, read 11,435,824 times
Advanced Yogis, come and go from the Astral or the causal plane easily, the enter into the supraconsciousness, breathless state first, and then they cross over the spiritual eye.

When a Novice or Intermediate yogi starts advancing spiritually, he might start having astral visions as his spiritual eye develops more and more.

Old 12-04-2007, 08:26 PM

7,996 posts, read 12,272,809 times
Do out of body experiences count?

-Just curious.

Old 12-04-2007, 08:41 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,689,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Do I seem bewildered?
I often get in a trancelike state when I sculpt.
When I sculpt my brain often tries to solve an abstract problem by focusing on it, while my hands work 'on their own' on my sculpture.

Normally my brain runs at a 100 m/h, and only when I sculpt do I find it necessary to slow down a bit. So only through sculpting or sleeping do my brains stop running a 100 m/h.
I do this when I work on computers. After having been told the problem(s) and error(s)s seen on a computer and with no specific goal in mind I just start looking through areas on the computer: Control Panel, Device Manager, Properties, etc and find myself on a screen where I place/remove a check mark in a box or see a value that I "know" is wrong. I often fix problems that clients have placed in front of 2 or 3 other techs. Usually I have no idea how I got to where I am when I fix the PC. Been doing it for about 20 years now. Oh, and I talk non-stop while doing it. I can't control it and if I don't I might as well not work on the computer - I won't get the job done. I warn people ahead of time to ignore it.

When I was a child - I know I was younger than 12 because of where I lived when it occurred - I used to fly in my dreams. Not just round our house, but elsewhere. After about 50 years (guessing I was maybe 9 at the time) I still vividly remember flying over a set of railroad tracks downtown by the baseball park. The tracks, the street and the baseball park are still there and I can take you the exact location.

Yeah, I believe.

Old 12-04-2007, 09:45 PM

Quote:
I can't control it and if I don't I might as well not work on the computer - I won't get the job done. I warn people ahead of time to ignore it.
Yeah I talk non-stop too.
I can also listen to music, but what I can't do while doing art is listen to a debate on the radio. Somehow debates on a radio can make me so furious that I mess up the creative process.
And also don't ask me technical questions about my art, cauz it's all intuitive.
Besides I'd rather do it and show how, than just talk about it.

Quote:
The tracks, the street and the baseball park are still there and I can take you the exact location.
Yeah, well, I'm a doubting Thomas. I won't believe ya unless I've experienced it myself.
So I'm not sayin' it ain't possible, just that I don't believe in Astral travelling until I've experienced it myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality