Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2014, 01:42 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,184,822 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atkutuq View Post
...snip...
Let me take the time to be a bit more specific. A personal short story

Dec 26th 1972 - I quit my job @ 10:30 am. I was totally disgusted with management. so I quit. I Knew I couldn't afford to quit; I knew I would be out of work for a few weeks. I could not afford to loose this much money. I went out on a limb of faith only.

When I quit the job; I made my plea to the Lord. I need a job! I am so sick of working with hundreds of people - I am sick of being inside in some corner 8 hours every day.

Thus I made my request(s) specific. I need a job. 1. I want to work outside. 2.I want to work with one person instead of hundreds. 3. While I'm at it (requesting). I need/want MORE MONEY!

A week went by and the union hall gave me a call to go to work for abc (company) A huge new school. My reply was ok. I will accept this job. Then I got on the phone to God. I told YOU... I do not want to work with hundreds of people on a job inside. I don't want this. I want you to help me get the job I want. 15 minutes later. The union hall called me back and said; forget it. That job was cancelled. I smiled very big and said Thanks (God) for your help.

A week later I got another call from the union Hall - Go to work for XYZ company - A factory.

I said Ok to the Union dispatcher; Lord... this is totally out of the question. I am sick of having to work these type jobs. I want to be outside with one person making more money if possible. Twenty minutes later the Union Hall called back and said. Never mind. I rejoiced and thanked God!

3 days later. The phone rang. The Union Hall said go to work At this address for this company. I said Ok.

The next day I went to work. Not knowing what to expect. Whoa. I am now working outside; with 1 person. High Voltage Cable Splicing and it was massive double time job!

Ask & you SHALL receive is the Promise Jesus Made. It has always worked for me for decades!

All ya gotta do is believe with no doubts. But rest assured God will TEST YOU! count on it.
In other words, you waited until the right job came along.

I think the same thing would have happened to an atheist in that situation.

But if it pleases you to think god was pulling the strings for you, I won't try to disabuse you of the notion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2014, 02:17 PM

758 posts, read 848,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
In other words, you waited until the right job came along.

I think the same thing would have happened to an atheist in that situation.

But if it pleases you to think god was pulling the strings for you, I won't try to disabuse you of the notion.
I ask for 3 specific things. I got 3 hits for 3.

FYI. In Boston there are 5,000 union Electricians

There were only Ten People - in all of New England that were certified to splice paper & lead cable.

3 conductor 1,000,000's 1mcm! One cable 4 1/2 INCHES in diameter filled with oil covered in lead.

I was the Eleventh person!

Those odds are just too high for that to be a coincidence.

Especially since I have been receiving answers to specific prayers such as this for over 6 decades!

That is beyond coincidence. It is merely God doing what He promised.

As I recall- you were the one complaining about 6.85 per day in tithes? lol

The Job that I received from the Lord in 1973 I was taking home $2,500 per week!

I worked January - October without one day off!

Old 03-04-2014, 02:29 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,184,822 times
Quote:
...snip...

...snip...
You recall erroneously.

lol

Old 03-04-2014, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
You recall erroneously.

lol
I stand corrected - Thank Yu.

Sorry for the mixup!

A job like that comes along - Once in a lifetime.

PRAYER WORKS

Old 03-04-2014, 02:37 PM

25,445 posts, read 9,809,749 times
Hi Stubborn. I too was raised a Christian. I was involved for the majority of my life in not only "just going to church on Sunday" Christianity, but I was knee deep in the word faith, fundamental, believe and receive, bless God I'm healed type of Christianity. Oi!

It took me years to pull myself away from that. I came to the conclusion that there is no God sitting up there, taking care of me specifically, making sure my life is okay. We are all born into this world, and good and bad things happen because of it. Actually, I am much better off, and have greater peace today because I don't have a personal god. No more guilt, no more being pissed off or worried or scared or troubled because this god didn't answer my prayer.

I do believe there is a greater Source of life, and that we are all connected to everything--nature, people, animals, we all have life within us and therefore should respect all other living things.

Since I don't have a religion, I believe that people should be able to live their own lives the way they wish as long as they don't hurt anyone. I no longer feel like I need to lead people to the one and only "truth." Very liberating. I think life is hard enough without feeling like there is someone looking over your shoulder, ready to punish you at every turn.

You are not alone, as there are many of us ex's out there.

Old 03-04-2014, 02:40 PM

7,381 posts, read 7,694,475 times
Quote:
I ask for 3 specific things. I got 3 hits for 3.

FYI. In Boston there are 5,000 union Electricians

There were only Ten People - in all of New England that were certified to splice paper & lead cable.

3 conductor 1,000,000's 1mcm! One cable 4 1/2 INCHES in diameter filled with oil covered in lead.

I was the Eleventh person!

Those odds are just too high for that to be a coincidence.

Especially since I have been receiving answers to specific prayers such as this for over 6 decades!

That is beyond coincidence. It is merely God doing what He promised.

The Job that I received from the Lord in 1973 I was taking home $2,500 per week!

I worked January - October without one day off!
Hopefully your next prayer will be to cure all of the children at the local Children's Hospital. Do you think your God can handle that one? If you haven't already, why are your prayers for selfish reasons?

Old 03-04-2014, 02:42 PM

4,188 posts, read 3,401,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubbornV View Post
So I grew up as a kid to be Christian, but never fully believed in it. It just seemed so far fetched. These last few months of my life have been very rough, and sometimes on the lowest of low days I say a quick prayer like I was taught in Sunday school. It's weird because whenever I do those quick prayers, something ALWAYS changes and somehow makes my situation better.

Now I do not know weather to believe this is a mysterious man in the sky doing this, or maybe luck, or something like coincidence. I am not sure what to believe.

What do you think?

Also I did not know where to post this and did not want to register to another forum so I figured I would try posting it here before signing up for some lame forums for only this quesiton.

Thanks Guys

TLDR: I say a quick prayer things seem to get better fairly quickly. Miracle? God? Coincidence?

I think you're blessed!

Old 03-04-2014, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
Hopefully your next prayer will be to cure all of the children at the local Children's Hospital. Do you think your God can handle that one? If you haven't already, why are your prayers for selfish reasons?
My ministry involves the homeless; orphans, sick, Widows Elderly Prisoners & Veterans.

Jesus said; The Poor you will always have with you.

Satan is the cause of all the evil and selfish problems in this world. But you REFUSE to admit that.

You in your (LACK OF ) wisdom BLAME GOD!

We give all that we have and it keeps coming back. Pressed down & running over 10 fold 30 fold 120 fold. The more we give; the more we get.

Why don't you ASK for something that is never going to ever happen??

Quit playing me for stupid!

I am extremely successful in many different ways. I am rich beyond my wildest dreams and I am not speaking about $.

Old 03-04-2014, 03:24 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,448,803 times
Quote:

Well, if you only pray for things that *are* going to happen, then you don't believe in the power of prayer very much.

You are basically admitting some things happen rarely and some things don't happen. If things happen rarely, then they will happen to someone. That someone could be you - prayer or no prayer.

Why would God step in and help you find a job meeting your criteria while tonight praying children will be denied relief from hunger, disease, and abuse? If it's all about Satan and sin, then why will a child be denied relief from a disease s/he caught from an animal via a mosquito? Your job situation takes priority or is more worthy intervention?

Old 03-04-2014, 03:36 PM

7,381 posts, read 7,694,475 times
Quote:
My ministry involves the homeless; orphans, sick, Widows Elderly Prisoners & Veterans.

Jesus said; The Poor you will always have with you.

Satan is the cause of all the evil and selfish problems in this world. But you REFUSE to admit that.

You in your (LACK OF ) wisdom BLAME GOD!

We give all that we have and it keeps coming back. Pressed down & running over 10 fold 30 fold 120 fold. The more we give; the more we get.

I am extremely successful in many different ways. I am rich beyond my wildest dreams and I am not speaking about $.
Sorry. You can't have it both ways. If you were to pray that all the poor be provided for, either you will always get what you ask for and there no longer with be poor or the poor will always be with you and God will not give you what you ask.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality