Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2014, 06:09 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,980,170 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
Before I waste my time proving the effects of tectonic plate movements, I want to know that,if it contradicts your Bible story, you will not dismiss it out of hand but will take it under consideration and possibly accept it.
If it contradicted the historic account, it would be incorrect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2014, 06:19 PM

7,381 posts, read 7,696,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
If it contradicted the historic account, it would be incorrect.
Thanks for preventing me from wasting my time. Fortunately, every reasonable person is aware of these scientific facts which are on display thousands of times each day around the world when earthquakes are generated, volcanoes form, and gases are expelled from the smallest of tectonic plate movements. The movements of tectonic plates are measured up to 5 inches/day, eliminating the outlandish claim that Everest was created in 4000 years time.

Old 03-25-2014, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
Thanks for preventing me from wasting my time. Fortunately, every reasonable person is aware of these scientific facts which are on display thousands of times each day around the world when earthquakes are generated, volcanoes form, and gases are expelled from the smallest of tectonic plate movements. The movements of tectonic plates are measured up to 5 inches/day, eliminating the outlandish claim that Everest was created in 4000 years time.
Since the historic account is true, the scientific evidence needs to line up with the Scriptures, not the Scriptures change to accept the current science. It's not that hard a concept. One needs to actually PROVE the continents moving apart would destroy all life as we know it on earth. But, naw, don't waste your time. Rather align yourself with the historic documents.

Old 03-25-2014, 06:27 PM

5,421 posts, read 6,507,074 times
Quote:
Just so we know you were just throwing out a number that there were "millions of animals on the ark".

You are sure they were trying to make a point with it just like you were sure there were millions of animals on the ark.

Maybe? . . . maybe? How about "maybe not"?
Ok, I'll take your bait.

The hypothetical number of animals on the Ark would depend on which of the various non-sense interpretations of the Bible one manufactures to make their ideological square peg fit in their biblical round whole.

Genesis 6:19-21,
Quote:
And of every living thing of all flesh, two of every sort shalt thou bring into the ark, to keep them alive with thee; they shall be male and female.

Of fowls after their kind, and of cattle after their kind, of every creeping thing of the earth after his kind, two of every sort shall come unto thee, to keep them alive.

And take thou unto thee of all food that is eaten, and thou shalt gather it to thee; and it shall be for food for thee, and for them.
Genesis 7:2-3,

Quote:
Of every clean beast thou shalt take to thee by sevens, the male and his female: and of beasts that are not clean by two, the male and his female.

Of fowls also of the air by sevens, the male and the female; to keep seed alive upon the face of all the earth.
(Some would note that there are two different sets of instructions to follow above, but since 7 could include 2, I'll let that slide.)

The number of species on earth during the flood was exactly the same as it is today - and there are between 2-5 million species on earth today. I know this because I prayed to Jesus and he told me.

By my math that means there were at least 14 million different species on the Ark.

So how did they get all that food on there?

Old 03-25-2014, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
Ok, I'll take your bait.

The hypothetical number of animals on the Ark would depend on which of the various non-sense interpretations of the Bible one manufactures to make their ideological square peg fit in their biblical round whole.

Genesis 6:19-21,

Genesis 7:2-3,

(Some would note that there are two different sets of instructions to follow above, but since 7 could include 2, I'll let that slide.)

The number of species on earth during the flood was exactly the same as it is today - and there are between 2-5 million species on earth today. I know this because I prayed to Jesus and he told me.

By my math that means there were at least 14 million different species on the Ark.

So how did they get all that food on there?
They carried the food on there, that's how.

Your math does not line up with the fact of "each kind." There were not every breed of dog we have today.
The second set of instructions is God making sure Noah knew what He actually meant.

It's like when God told Adam if he at the the forbidden fruit to die he would be dying. After they ate He explained further what that actually meant by Adam working by the sweat of his brow till he return to the earth in death.

Old 03-25-2014, 06:46 PM

7,381 posts, read 7,696,862 times
Quote:
Since the historic account is true, the scientific evidence needs to line up with the Scriptures, not the Scriptures change to accept the current science. It's not that hard a concept. One needs to actually PROVE the continents moving apart would destroy all life as we know it on earth. But, naw, don't waste your time. Rather align yourself with the historic documents.
There IS proof, but you won't accept it because it takes a bit of logic and reason, qualities that aren't required for belief in the Bible tales. The adage "Use it or lose it" seems to be proving true. Minute movements in tectonic plates can expel dangerous amounts of sulfur dioxide, carbon dioxide, and hydrogen fluoride. Larger movements would release much more. And don't forget about the splitting of Pangea during that time, which would include the movement of all 7 tectonic plates at an incredible speed, compared to their movements today. But, since the Bible doesn't address 2 + 2 = 4, this calculation might be a bit foreign to you.

Old 03-25-2014, 06:56 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,720,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceist View Post
Simple. It's mythical. It never happened.
Exactly. Arguing about logistics is like arguing whether Pegasus had a 22' or 24' wingspan.

Old 03-25-2014, 06:57 PM

5,421 posts, read 6,507,074 times
Quote:
They carried the food on there, that's how.

Your math does not line up with the fact of "each kind." There were not every breed of dog we have today.
The second set of instructions is God making sure Noah knew what He actually meant.

It's like when God told Adam if he at the the forbidden fruit to die he would be dying. After they ate He explained further what that actually meant by Adam working by the sweat of his brow till he return to the earth in death.
Are you calling Jesus a liar? Because I prayed to him and he told me that there were EXACTLY the same number of species then as today. He also said Evolution wasn't real so there's no way that a new breed of dog could have come into existence.

Old 03-25-2014, 08:20 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,750,770 times
Quote:
That really seems to be why I find further discussion on this matter in pointless. I know that I have put all sorts of reasons why the Biblical account here or there can't be credible and you have produced all sorts of arguments up to and including 'it must have happened some way, because the Bible says so'.

There is no way anyone with their head on the right way round is going to align themselves with what you are pleased to call 'historic documents' and I have seen even believing Christians cannot swallow some of the explanations you have come up with.

The only person who can make you see that it really does not make sense is you. It is not our job to convert you and one person is not worth the effort. It really is a case of using you as the most inventive and stubborn Bible -literalist to use to show up how Bible - literalism can strain credibility.

Just putting it in perspective, old chum, just in case you thought that continual denial was somehow winning some case or other.

Old 03-25-2014, 08:28 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,203,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
That really seems to be why I find further discussion on this matter in pointless. I know that I have put all sorts of reasons why the Biblical account here or there can't be credible and you have produced all sorts of arguments up to and including 'it must have happened some way, because the Bible says so'.

There is no way anyone with their head on the right way round is going to align themselves with what you are pleased to call 'historic documents' and I have seen even believing Christians cannot swallow some of the explanations you have come up with.

The only person who can make you see that it really does not make sense is you. It is not our job to convert you and one person is not worth the effort. It really is a case of using you as the most inventive and stubborn Bible -literalist to use to show up how Bible - literalism can strain credibility.

Just putting it in perspective, old chum, just in case you thought that continual denial was somehow winning some case or other.
It would be nice if this post sunk in.

But by my rough count, it's #387 in the list of posts in which Eusie is presented with irrefutable evidence that what he believes is not only illogical, but wrong and totally silly.

But he just digs deeper into his Refute Anyway Bag and continues hiding his fear.

Such a shame.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality