Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2014, 08:33 PM

50,089 posts, read 20,785,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
Or just Google "Crazy ideas about evolution backed up by no evidence whatsoever" or "Things less fun than smashing your head into a brick wall"
Explaining the evidence is just dismissed and the 'no evidence whatsoever' mantra is trotted out.

Quote:
So it just proves their dating methods are suspect, that's all.
It doesn't. It proves that you are obliged to deny evidence without giving any credible reason, and then claim there is no evidence.

Quote:
Some scientists would disagree with your assessments above.
For 'scientists' read: 'anyone with a certificate who is a creationist'. True, there are some bona fide scientists - some even working in relevant fields - who are creationists, but it is demonstrable that they simply hive away science in another part of their head when they bring out Creationism and work to another discipline altogether.

I only got to page 4 and saw that just more pages of faith-based denial was just a repetitive waste of time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
It would be nice if this post sunk in.

But by my rough count, it's #387 in the list of posts in which Eusie is presented with irrefutable evidence that what he believes is not only illogical, but wrong and totally silly.

But he just digs deeper into his Refute Anyway Bag and continues hiding his fear.

Such a shame.
He's happy enough, so the best thing is to continue to use his sturdy defence of Bible-literalist Creationism to show up how it has nothing but denial and making it up as you go along and knowing when to say 'Ok, chum, we know what you believe. That doesn't concern us.'

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 03-25-2014 at 09:07 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2014, 08:34 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,077,707 times
Quote:
The guy in the video is transferring our ignorance as to how to build an ark the size Noah built to Noah. He doesn't know Noah's expertise especially with God giving him wisdom to do that which God told him to do.

You have no verifiable PROOF that if it took 4,000 years for the plates to move apart to where the continents presently are would have devastating geological effects. First of all you would have to duplicate by actual experience what would take place. You can't therefore it is only taking a stab in the dark.
Just like you don't know Muhammad or Joseph Smith's expertise with God giving them knowledge to not know about vaccines and such.

Science is better than your denial beliefs. There is more evidence and correct logic behind science than any of the religions of the superticious people.

Old 03-25-2014, 08:36 PM

5,421 posts, read 6,511,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post

For 'scientists' read: 'anyone with a certificate' who is a creationist. True, there are some bona fide scientists - some even working in relevant fields - who are creationists, but it is demonstrable that they simply hive away science in another part of their head when they bring out Creationism and work to another discipline altogether.
One of my favorite quotes, which I partially used in another post today:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEORGE ORWELL View Post
To know and not to know, to be conscious of complete truthfulness while telling carefully constructed lies, to hold simultaneously two opinions which cancelled out, knowing them to be contradictory and believing in both of them, to use logic against logic, to repudiate morality while laying claim to it, to believe that democracy was impossible and that the Party was the guardian of democracy, to forget, whatever it was necessary to forget, then to draw it back into memory again at the moment when it was needed, and then promptly to forget it again, and above all, to apply the same process to the process itself – that was the ultimate subtlety; consciously to induce unconsciousness, and then, once again, to become unconscious of the act of hypnosis you had just performed. Even to understand the word 'doublethink' involved the use of doublethink. ”

“ The power of holding two contradictory beliefs in one's mind simultaneously, and accepting both of them... To tell deliberate lies while genuinely believing in them, to forget any fact that has become inconvenient, and then, when it becomes necessary again, to draw it back from oblivion for just as long as it is needed, to deny the existence of objective reality and all the while to take account of the reality which one denies – all this is indispensably necessary. Even in using the word doublethink it is necessary to exercise doublethink. For by using the word one admits that one is tampering with reality; by a fresh act of doublethink one erases this knowledge; and so on indefinitely, with the lie always one leap ahead of the truth.

Old 03-25-2014, 09:21 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,100,667 times
My Dear Eusebius,

At least for the purposes of this thread I am not really interested in the height of Everest, the hydrology of the Noah's flood but rather the history of human migration as it compares to the "historical science" of a young earth.

Quote:
But I'm not wrong. Did I say Noah's sons forgot all about Noah? Did you know Noah's sons had children after the flood? Problems started right after the flood with Ham. Ham was cursed. Ham and his four sons founded South West Asia, Africa and Egypt, which of course is in Africa. Why should he stick with Noah's understanding especially after being cursed? I provide historical evidence for this in the link below.

I know you don't want to read this The sixteen grandsons of Noah - creation.com but it talks about historic evidence of Noah's sons down to 16 grandsons of Noah and the spreading out over the earth.
They must have been some prolific inseminators!

Quote:
Since the historic account is true, the scientific evidence needs to line up with the Scriptures, not the Scriptures change to accept the current science. It's not that hard a concept. One needs to actually PROVE the continents moving apart would destroy all life as we know it on earth. But, naw, don't waste your time. Rather align yourself with the historic documents.
The only problem is that the HISTORIC evidence, not science, records unbroken civilizations across the world that are far older than the so-called histories of young earth Bible advocates. Two in particular, civilizations of the Indus Valley and China, where incidentally your source fails to mention, date their existence past even the creation of the Christian universe.

PS-your source has a link to supposed Original God of China which curiously reports that Chinese civilization existed as early as far as 4,000 years ago.

Old 03-25-2014, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
One of my favorite quotes, which I partially used in another post today:
Doublethink and the twisty words of deception made to sound convincing 'Freedom is slavery!' It is not new to me that cult-think and dogmatic politics is very much the same. And don't forget projection - the practice of assuming that the other people are pulling the same swindle.

When science is claimed as a closed minded dogmatic 'religion' which is funded by a hidden but very wealthy and powerful group with a determined agenda (I hardly recognize myself) to suppress the opposition by controlling science,education etc. and excluding anyone who does not accept the Orthodoxy - you can see plainly the sort of people we are dealing with. Because that's exactly what they are.

Old 03-25-2014, 09:49 PM

641 posts, read 559,074 times
Quote:
When science is claimed as a closed minded dogmatic 'religion' which is funded by a hidden but very wealthy and powerful group with a determined agenda (I hardly recognize myself) to suppress the opposition by controlling science,education etc. and excluding anyone who does not accept the Orthodoxy - you can see plainly the sort of people we are dealing with. Because that's exactly what they are.
Perfectly stated.

Old 03-25-2014, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
'...(pardon the cut)...

The only problem is that the HISTORIC evidence, not science, records unbroken civilizations across the world that are far older than the so-called histories of young earth Bible advocates. Two in particular, civilizations of the Indus Valley and China, where incidentally your source fails to mention, date their existence past even the creation of the Christian universe.

PS-your source has a link to supposed Original God of China which curiously reports that Chinese civilization existed as early as far as 4,000 years ago.
The great Pyramid is supposed to be evidence for the Flood because it has the marks of a salt -water level on the stonework. That dates the flood to after 2,100 BC. But then I suppose that dating can always be dismissed and the claim made that everything from 70 m years ago to the 2nd mill BC (which nicely incorporates your Chinese god), actually all happened in one year. All the dating evidence is simply 'suspect'.

Old 03-25-2014, 10:07 PM

5,421 posts, read 6,511,178 times
Quote:
Doublethink and the twisty words of deception made to sound convincing 'Freedom is slavery!' It is not new to me that cult-think and dogmatic politics is very much the same. And don't forget projection - the practice of assuming that the other people are pulling the same swindle.

I'm most reminded of my mother, who was both an evangelical Christian and a medical doctor.

One moment she was treating people with strokes and other brain injuries using conventional medicine. The next moment she was talking about her spirit, the power of prayer, and a sapient life after death.

One part of her knows the relationship between the brain and conscious thought. At one level she knows death is just the most severe form of brain damage and knows a functional brain is necessary for cognizant thought. She would never prescribe prayer to treat a cancer or even a cold. She used her knowledge of science when it is necessary to perform her work.

Then when work was over she puts that knowledge away and returned to her religious understanding of the world and it's 14th century understanding of how the mind works.

" to forget any fact that has become inconvenient, and then, when it becomes necessary again, to draw it back from oblivion for just as long as it is needed,..."

I think that's how a lot of the Christian scientist manage to work out the incongruity between what they believe and what they know.

Old 03-25-2014, 10:09 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,077,707 times
Quote:
But I'm not wrong. Did I say Noah's sons forgot all about Noah? Did you know Noah's sons had children after the flood? Problems started right after the flood with Ham. Ham was cursed. Ham and his four sons founded South West Asia, Africa and Egypt, which of course is in Africa. Why should he stick with Noah's understanding especially after being cursed? I provide historical evidence for this in the link below.

I know you don't want to read this The sixteen grandsons of Noah - creation.com but it talks about historic evidence of Noah's sons down to 16 grandsons of Noah and the spreading out over the earth.
Oh, I guess I didnt think I had to account for Ham and his four sons... Maybe I should also look into how I account for the story of Andre and Pandora.

Old 03-25-2014, 11:14 PM

17,842 posts, read 14,403,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
While he may not have thought it all the way through, he did make some interesting points. In a long ago thread, I mentioned a calculation I had seen tallying up how much water it would take to cover the earth to the height of Mt. Everest. Trillions of gallons of water. Two questions. Where did all that water come from? Where did all that water go? It's more than the contents of all the world's oceans put together. It makes all the ground water in the world seem like a bucket full. All the water contained ini the clouds and atmosphere is insignificant compared to the water needs of a Noah flood.

If you can't come up with a logical and reasonable explanation for the source of all that water, the story of the flood can't be believed.

Not to mention the freezing cold and the lower atmospheric pressure making it impossible for most creatures to breathe.
The myth only makes sense when we understand the Flat earth world view of the ancient Hebrews.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality