Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2012, 09:12 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,572,795 times

Advertisements

I have two questions for those who call themselves "religious." I am seeking honest and candid answers not sarcasm or insults.

The first question is how can you pick and choose from your religious "bible"? For example, we see religious people quote Bible all the time but they often conveniently ignore the fact that the Bible supports slavery. Another example is that people often have sex before marriage which is clearly forbidden in the Bible.

How can you, on one hand call yourself religious and on the other hand, pick and choose what is convenient to you? I would think a religious person would do everything in his or her power to follow the doctrines/codes of his/her religion.

For those who really want to follow the book, we label them as "religious fanatics."

Well, if you aren't fanatics and don't plan to follow the book, how can you call yourself religious and a believer? It likes I am a believer but I only believe the part that is convenient to me.

This really puzzles me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2012, 09:54 AM

4,612 posts, read 4,896,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
How can you, on one hand call yourself religious and on the other hand, pick and choose what is convenient to you?
As I understand, a "religious" person is one who believes in a god and does what they believe their god wants them to do.

Some of these people actually think for themselves and make their own decisions. They decide what they believe their god wants them to do, and then live their lives accordingly.

Maybe their beliefs and practices do not agree with the teachings of your so-called holy book (Quran, Torah, Bible, Veda, etc.). No problem.

As long as they are not breaking any of our man-made laws, we should show them respect.

Old 10-20-2012, 10:50 AM

15,501 posts, read 17,085,116 times
Quote:
I have two questions for those who call themselves "religious." I am seeking honest and candid answers not sarcasm or insults.

The first question is how can you pick and choose from your religious "bible"? For example, we see religious people quote Bible all the time but they often conveniently ignore the fact that the Bible supports slavery. Another example is that people often have sex before marriage which is clearly forbidden in the Bible.

How can you, on one hand call yourself religious and on the other hand, pick and choose what is convenient to you? I would think a religious person would do everything in his or her power to follow the doctrines/codes of his/her religion.

For those who really want to follow the book, we label them as "religious fanatics."

Well, if you aren't fanatics and don't plan to follow the book, how can you call yourself religious and a believer? It likes I am a believer but I only believe the part that is convenient to me.

This really puzzles me!
Answering as a Muslim.

Islam has no formal Doctrine except we are to follow the 5 Pillars of Faith:

Faith or belief in the Oneness of God and the finality of the prophethood of Muhammad;

Establishment of the daily prayers;

Concern for and Charity to the needy;

Self-purification through fasting;

The pilgrimage to Makkah for those who are able.

As to the Qur'an

It is not so much as a list of commandments. It is a description of the results of our actions. We alone have full responsibility for our actions. We are free to do as we desire, however we will face the consequences of our actions. If a Muslim does something that He knows is going to result in him spending eternity in Hellfire, that is his choice and he alone has walked into Hell.

Islam is all about self responsibility, freedom of choice and learning where our choices are leading us to.

Old 10-20-2012, 11:46 AM

88,588 posts, read 84,838,467 times
Quote:

Well, if you aren't fanatics and don't plan to follow the book, how can you call yourself religious and a believer? It's like I am a believer but I only believe the part that is convenient to me.

This really puzzles me!

Isn't this same question in some form asked at least once a week on this forum?

Your question is based on the false assumption that Christians believe that "following the book" is what Christianity is. Most believers do not think that Christianity is a set of written rules that one must follow--that's Judaism, and there's a forum for that, see above.

You asked that you get no insults or sarcasm in your responses, yet you certainly have no problem dishing them out, do you, as per the bolded.

Old 10-20-2012, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Isn't this same question in some form asked at least once a week on this forum?

Your question is based on the false assumption that Christians believe that "following the book" is what Christianity is. Most believers do not think that Christianity is a set of written rules that one must follow--that's Judaism, and there's a forum for that, see above.

You asked that you get no insults or sarcasm in your responses, yet you certainly have no problem dishing them out, do you, as per the bolded.
I never know speaking the truth means insults.

How about provide your view of Christianity so that we can understand?

Old 10-20-2012, 12:42 PM

3,598 posts, read 4,950,670 times
Quote:
This really puzzles me!
Lifeexplorer, is SHOULD puzzle you because it makes no logical sense. People pick and choose the "good" parts of the bible, but conveniently forget all the murder, rape, incest, genocide and parts that make them look bad if they were to accept it all as "the true word of god." People falsely identify themselves as "religious" believers of the bible, but if you bring up these horrible passages from god, their eyes glaze over with confusion or they dodge the question entirely. Just try to get a straight answer out of them... you CAN'T! It's confusing because it is meant to confuse you into thinking a "religious" person is somehow morally superior or "enlightened" and you are not.

If there's one rule that has proven true in my life over and over... if something somebody tells you is incomprehensible (even after they are asked for clarification), it's most likely because it was DESIGNED to be incomprehensible. In other words, it's a lie. This rule also holds true in business, finance, relationships, workplace, advertising, politics, etc.

Last edited by logline; 10-20-2012 at 01:50 PM..

Old 10-20-2012, 01:20 PM

876 posts, read 709,156 times
Quote:

This really puzzles me!
I am a Christian, but I consider myself very spiritual, not religious. "Religious" to me is following doctrines of a specific church or denomination. It's based more on rules, rather than beliefs. The most important thing for me is to focus on that I am not perfect, but Jesus is. The belief and faith is the most important part. His way is the path to happiness and love. As long as I attempt to follow his examples and teachings, I will live a better life. I will fail at times, but I can try.

The Bible does not support slavery, as if it is a good thing or the right thing to do. But, it was written in a different time period where it was a fact of life. Also, people in the Bible fornicated because they are human. We all sin. It is not like God is going to cast you aside because of it.

Old 10-20-2012, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seahawkgirl View Post
I am a Christian, but I consider myself very spiritual, not religious. "Religious" to me is following doctrines of a specific church or denomination. It's based more on rules, rather than beliefs. The most important thing for me is to focus on that I am not perfect, but Jesus is. The belief and faith is the most important part. His way is the path to happiness and love. As long as I attempt to follow his examples and teachings, I will live a better life. I will fail at times, but I can try.

The Bible does not support slavery, as if it is a good thing or the right thing to do. But, it was written in a different time period where it was a fact of life. Also, people in the Bible fornicated because they are human. We all sin. It is not like God is going to cast you aside because of it.
Before you call yourself a Christian, you may want to really understand what Jesus was advocating. If you don't follow what he advocated, you can't call yourself a Christian right? For example, one key thing in what Jesus' stuff is non-violence but I have yet to see Christian come out in mass to protest against violence - any violence.

As for the Bible, you may need to read it again. In many parts of the Bible, it states how people should treat slaves. It does not condemn slavery at all.

The part really detrimental is what you said "it was written in a different time period where it was a fact of life." This can only be one of the two things:

a. The Bible is not God's words and shouldn't be treated as such, or
b. You just dismiss God's the words outright.

So which one is it?

Old 10-20-2012, 03:08 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,550,968 times
Quote:
a. The Bible is not God's words and shouldn't be treated as such, or
b. You just dismiss God's the words outright.

So which one is it?
Oh Pleeeze. Only two choices? Composed by whom? How about a third choice? The OT and NT were written at at time when having personal slaves was the norm. Jews and Christians were being instructed to treat their slaves as they would treat family or friends. Not abusively as the rest of the world did.

What is your game?

Just one more atheist trying to sow the seeds of doubt by trickery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by logline View Post
Lifeexplorer, is SHOULD puzzle you because it makes no logical sense. People pick and choose the "good" parts of the bible, but conveniently forget all the murder, rape, incest, genocide and parts that make them look bad if they were to accept it all as "the true word of god." People falsely identify themselves as "religious" believers of the bible, but if you bring up these horrible passages from god, their eyes glaze over with confusion or they dodge the question entirely. Just try to get a straight answer out of them... you CAN'T! It's confusing because it is meant to confuse you into thinking a "religious" person is somehow morally superior or "enlightened" and you are not.

Another stereotyper. I know of no Christian who dodges the question. Perhaps you would like it to be so, but sorry, it ain't the case. We face these things head on. One must ask why and not just say God is evil. I would suggest studying the parts of OT where these things occur and see what's going on.

Last edited by Mr5150; 10-20-2012 at 03:27 PM..

Old 10-20-2012, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Oh Pleeeze. Only two choices? Composed by whom? How about a third choice? The OT and NT were written at at time when having personal slaves was the norm. Jews and Christians were being instructed to treat their slaves as they would treat family or friends. Not abusively as the rest of the world did.

What is your game?
No game. So the Bible is only applicable for the norm of the old time? It is not eternal as we know? That's shocking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality