Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2014, 12:55 AM

136 posts, read 176,581 times

Advertisements

The following are religious mindsets that I can't identify with.

(1) Belief that life in this world is a miserable existence laden with sin; subsequent hope to depart from the world and see it destroyed.

I've never understood that. Personally, I enjoy life. If I didn't, I would off myself. Life has challenges, but I enjoy overcoming them, enjoy figuring out the ways to have a happy existence. Which brings me point (2).

(2) Belief that there's some void in my heart that is keeping me from being content.

Not at all. I'm able to find contentness through:
  • Exercising my realized talents
  • Socializing with friends
  • Expanding my knowledge base
  • Setting goals and vigorously pursuing them

(3) Fear of death.

I've never understood this. For me, the idea of my consciousness eventually shutting off is not scary.

(4) Desire to have a special purpose on earth.

Again, this is something I don't understand. I like the idea that I'm not part of some divine plan. I'm just here and I don't feel any urge to discover a "why." Whether it was the universe itself or some mind behind the universe that put me here, it gave me impulses to follow. It feels natural to follow my impulses. So that's what I do.

(5) Feeling that I need to be relieved of a burden of guilt.

I'm incapable of feeling guilt in the religious sense because I don't believe there's some divine rulemaker who is offended by my actions. I feel a sort of personal guilt, but that's more accurately termed a regret of having done something that wasn't ultimately conducive to my happiness. For instance, when I binge-eat ice cream, I feel guilty afterwards, which is nothing more than a feeling that I wish I hadn't eaten so many calories. It's the same thing when I feel guilty about doing something to someone. I feel I wish I hadn't done that because now the person has a bad impression of me and I've violated some sort of social contract. Since I know these are just natural, evolutionary feelings, I don't dwell on them; I quickly drop them and get on with life. I've never understood why people feel the need to go to church and confess their sins and be assured that they've been forgiven. It's just weird to me.

Last edited by DeathGreetsMeWarm; 01-22-2014 at 01:22 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2014, 11:44 AM

20,021 posts, read 13,496,411 times
Count your blessings. I spent a couple of decades prying such notions out of my head with a crowbar. If I could have subscribed to all 5 of your principles out the chute I would have been that much further ahead in life. As it is, I agree with them all now, at least.

I think that (4) is a particularly revealing line item in the evangelical zeitgeist. For the fundamentalist, "it's all about me" and how special I am, how much god loves me, the epic plan by which he saved me, and the "wonderful plan" he has for my life. Me, mine, my, I. I was so accustomed to thinking of myself and my life in such grandiose terms that it was a tremendous letdown to discover that I in fact had no special "in" with the Master of the Universe. The good news is, I don't NEED any such thing. I don't need to be in a starring role in a cosmic passion play about god's special plans for me, myself and I. In fact it's quite a relief NOT to be having to live up to such twaddle (or to reconcile the ways in which my life did NOT line up with such notions). Life is pretty interesting in its own right. It is what it is.

Old 01-23-2014, 02:39 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,201,874 times
I never understood why people that openly say they are not religious.....then go and post on religious message boards. I certainly don't mean to suggest you CAN'T or don't have a right to do so...but I don't understand WHY you'd want to.

My only conclusion is that you have an inner desire for us to answer your questions and try to convince you. Is that it?

Old 01-23-2014, 03:00 PM

484 posts, read 883,287 times
Atheists are a slim minority in the United States. Assuming that is where the OP is from it is quite possible that the OP would simply like to voice their opinion and discuss those views with like-minded people. And Vizio, I didn't see that the OP asked any questions that they want to be answered….

Old 01-23-2014, 03:29 PM

1,791 posts, read 1,866,983 times
That's OK, I'm quite religious and don't identify with those mindsets either.
But, hey, to each their own.

Old 01-23-2014, 03:36 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,201,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhans123 View Post
And Vizio, I didn't see that the OP asked any questions that they want to be answered….
This is a discussion board, right? Or is it a blog where discussion isn't tolerated?

Old 01-23-2014, 03:56 PM

484 posts, read 883,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
This is a discussion board, right? Or is it a blog where discussion isn't tolerated?
It seems to be tolerated.

Old 01-23-2014, 03:57 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,397,063 times
I'm sorry someone put these ridiculous things in your head.
I'm sorry it happened to mordant, also.

Sigh, religions teach not only nonsense, but harmful things.

Old 01-23-2014, 06:15 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,194,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
I never understood why people that openly say they are not religious.....then go and post on religious message boards. I certainly don't mean to suggest you CAN'T or don't have a right to do so...but I don't understand WHY you'd want to.

My only conclusion is that you have an inner desire for us to answer your questions and try to convince you. Is that it?
Here's an idea! Let him answer before you reach your conclusion. Unless you've turned psychic in which case you could supplement your income and do quite well with socking something away for your old age. (Two words: municipal bonds.)

Though I think you ask question after question, while avoiding giving answers, because you aren't convinced you're on the right track. So maybe you're on to something.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 01-23-2014 at 07:43 PM..

Old 01-23-2014, 07:10 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,397,063 times
Re a comment above.
I am not religious AT ALL...not even about brushing my teeth.
But, I am spiritual, as in I am spirit, I am soul. ( I don't have a soul.)
So that would be why I personally post here, not that anyone asked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality