Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2014, 07:30 AM

48 posts, read 47,249 times

Advertisements

Some atheists despise religion because it contradicts, or appears to contradict, what they know in their heart about pure love. God only cares about their heart anyway, not their religion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2014, 07:36 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,341,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Definition of moot (adj)
moot[ moot ]
arguable: open to argument or dispute
not relevant:irrelevant or unimportant
not legally relevant:legally insignificant because of having already been decided or settled
synonyms:*debatable, arguable, doubtful, controversial, unresolved, disputable, unlikely, unsettled
And--------------------?

Old 05-14-2014, 07:38 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,341,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
If you are a Christian, is your failure to believe in Islam a system of belief?
Yes, it is a belief system.

Old 05-14-2014, 08:31 AM

63,809 posts, read 40,077,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
Well I agree and I disagree.
I disagree because the "newer" religions like Christianity and Islam are keen on stealing and hijacking ideas, principles, and morals that have been around thousands of years before there was ever a Bible or a Qu'ran.
I mean, how much does that rule book REALLY affect your life? Did you think it was okay to murder, steal, rape, cheat, lie, and beat people up before reading the Bible? If you knew these things were wrong before reading a holy book, then you know as well as I do that the book has nothing to do with it.
In fact, the book only muddies the water by adding stupidity like having to put tassles on your cloak, telling slaves to obey their masters, plucking out your eye to keep it from sinning, and the horrifying evils of being a transvestite. Gasp and stuff.
People don't seem to realize that holy books are absolutist which means every rule becomes a "zero-tolerance policy." Thus we are not permitted to take things on a case-by-case basis. Nope. That's a sin. Period. No exceptions. Nope, doesn't matter the circumstances. Uh uh, don't wanna hear it. Just admit you sinned ...
I do agree however, that our lives are affected by that rule book - because religious fascism is still alive and well. Censorship, bigotry, scapegoating, intolerance are things that affect me, and all too often, they are the result of that book. I have yet to meet even a single person who ever said, "Phew, it's a good thing we have the Bible, because without it, I would have murdered you for that pair of Air Jordans you have on. Wow, yeah, if I hadn't read the Ten Commandments, I would have bashed your head in with this tire iron and taken your shoes, but because we have our trusty rule book, I knew killing is wromg ..."
Shades of rifleman . . . I am so glad you are posting here Shirina. Your incisive intellect and sarcastic wit is so reminiscent of our late Eternal Member, rifleman. Your posts are a delight to read . . . as were his.

Old 05-14-2014, 08:57 AM

16,673 posts, read 15,668,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
And where to you think Morals and Ethics came from? Religion may not be perfect but least it gives one a rule book as a foundation for one's life. No matter how much a person states they are an Atheist in one way or another their lives are affected by that rule book.
There are many people who are both moral and ethical who do not adhere to any religion. There are billions of people alive on the earth right now who have never heard of the Bible. The vast majority of them live upright moral and ethical lives. Were it otherwise, countries with HUGE populations and miniscule Christian numbers would be in a constant chaotic state. There are over 1,000,000,000 people EACH in India and China, yet Christianity and Bibles are almost unheard of in either location, yet their societies seem to be functioning reasonably well without them.

Old 05-14-2014, 09:00 AM

48,564 posts, read 24,119,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
So then not believing in Islam constitutes a religion? The First Church Of Not Worshiping Allah? "We don't care what else you believe or don't believe just so long as you don't believe in Islam."

Would there be an edifice with weekly services? Would this religion sponsor not believing in Allah schools? Perhaps televangelist who perform failures to faith heal in Allah's name? "I command you in the name of disbelieving in Allah to remain in that wheelchair!"

Would this absence of faith faith be subject to schisms? Some group breaks away because their form of not believing has been corrupted by neo non belief?

Old 05-14-2014, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
So then not believing in Islam constitutes a religion? The First Church Of Not Worshiping Allah? "We don't care what else you believe or don't believe just so long as you don't believe in Islam."
Would there be an edifice with weekly services? Would this religion sponsor not believing in Allah schools? Perhaps televangelist who perform failures to faith heal in Allah's name? "I command you in the name of disbelieving in Allah to remain in that wheelchair!"
Would this absence of faith faith be subject to schisms? Some group breaks away because their form of not believing has been corrupted by neo non belief?
You seem to be confusing beliefs with religion, Grandstander. Beliefs are beliefs . . . whatever their content. Why atheists try to pretend that their beliefs (about non-belief in God) are NOT beliefs has always amused me. A belief is a belief. Beliefs may not constitute a religion and may not be held "religiously" . . . but they are still beliefs.

Old 05-14-2014, 09:18 AM

16,673 posts, read 15,668,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
You seem to be confusing beliefs with religion, Grandstander. Beliefs are beliefs . . . whatever their content. Why atheists try to pretend that their beliefs (about non-belief in God) are NOT beliefs has always amused me. A belief is a belief. Beliefs may not constitute a religion and may not be held "religiously" . . . but they are still beliefs.
There are no beliefs. There is only ONE thing that makes a person an atheist: a belief that there is exactly zero gods. Nothing more. Everything beyond that one simple statement is optional.

Old 05-14-2014, 09:21 AM

48,564 posts, read 24,119,848 times
Quote:
Your point of view on this is only valid if one begins with the default position of belief and apostates. If you begin with the default position of the question rather than the answer, all you describe above evaporates.

Substitute Santa Claus for god in your approach and the error should become clear.

Old 05-14-2014, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
There are no beliefs. There is only ONE thing that makes a person an atheist: a belief that there is exactly zero gods. Nothing more. Everything beyond that one simple statement is optional.
Do you not see the contradiction in your own statement, mensaguy??? One or a thousand . . . we are still talking about beliefs!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality