Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2008, 08:14 AM

265 posts, read 615,312 times

Advertisements

an apple fell to earth then and it falls to earth today. evolution was a wild guess then and still no monkeys are turning into people today. monkeys turning into people is what you get when people are desperate to wipe out any signs of God having started it all.

in fact if in the beginning WAS MAN there would have never been a God.

thank goodness in the beginning was God, because he's merciful enough to have created us inspite of knowing there would be many who would ignore, hate and blame him for every evil thing. you know how for every terrible thing men blame God, and for every good thing they credit luck. go figure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2008, 09:35 AM

206 posts, read 578,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steffan View Post
it is fasinating to read some of the theories, but so many seem to focus on defending evolution where it needs no defence
I've never really understood this attitude. While I agree that human opinion doesn't have the slightest bearing on the fact of evolution, it does have a great deal of effect on how the theory is treated.

Just take a look at this forum and some of the posters here and ask yourself what sort of decisions they make with regard to things like scientific research.

Just think of the damage that would be done to scientific progress if any research which didn't agree with a literal interpretation of a holy book was dismissed, ignored, or destroyed.

A great example is germ theory. People in ancient times used to explain disease by saying it was caused by demons. Now we know about bacteria, and through research into genetics and other fields we now have a fair understanding of how cancer works.

I think it is important to defend the facts for that sort of reason.

Old 02-11-2008, 10:24 AM

2,595 posts, read 4,438,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
Steffan.... define life... is 99% of a cell life? Is 99.9% of a cell life? 1%? 2%? As far as the progress made since Darwin propose his theory (wasn't natural selection by the way) we've come a tremendously long way. I also don't understand what creating life in a lab has to do with evolution itself? However, if you'd like to see where that side of it is heading then here you go:

Scientist Creates Life — Almost - TIME
The operative word is "Almost". And by almost they mean take pre-existing DNA and insert it into pre-existing DNA. So they can create life by starting with life. It sounds brilliant. I wish I could pass off as a great scientist by merely copying someone else's work. If this goes, I should have looked over the smart kid's sholder in bio class. It doesn't matter who you copy so long as people think your smart, right!

Old 02-11-2008, 10:27 AM

2,595 posts, read 4,438,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
Sorry, you are correct, Darwin did coin "natural selection". What the heck was I thinking???
You might have been confused with the fact that Natural Selection was written about by Edward Blythe a quarter century before Darwin. Darwin may have coined the phrase, but it wasn't his work. Neither was Origins; that was a written by his Grandfather Erasamus Darwin under the name Zoonomia, Charles just changed the examples in the book and retitled it.

Old 02-11-2008, 12:31 PM

206 posts, read 578,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikk View Post
You might have been confused with the fact that Natural Selection was written about by Edward Blythe a quarter century before Darwin. Darwin may have coined the phrase, but it wasn't his work. Neither was Origins; that was a written by his Grandfather Erasamus Darwin under the name Zoonomia, Charles just changed the examples in the book and retitled it.
Ugh.

The involved concepts go back as far as ancient Greece if you want to get to a basic level.

As for the comment about the writing of the Origin of the Species, I honestly don't believe you thought you could pass off such an easily falsifiable lie:

Development of Darwin's theory - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

On the Origin of Species - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Second voyage of HMS Beagle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Zoönomia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

History of evolutionary thought - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Like most scientists, Darwin utilized the research of others(Edward Blyth included) as well as his own original research. As for his specific achievements:

Quote:
However, Darwin's achievements were fourfold: Firstly, to propose a credible mechanism (natural selection); secondly, to provide a great deal of new evidence for evolution; thirdly, to present his ideas in a compelling book; and fourthly, to ally with other highly motivated and influential biologists and philosophers in a concerted effort to publicize and advocate his ideas. On every point, Darwin was successful.
The claim that The Origin of The Species is just Zoonomia renamed is downright ridiculous. Just because two people write about the same thing, it doesn't mean that they aren't separate works.

Others had proposed many of the concepts involved. Darwin made it into a cohesive scientific hypothesis which would later become a theory. And honestly, writing off original research as "different examples" is downright deceptive.

As for natural selection:

Quote:
Natural selection is one of the cornerstones of modern biology. The term was introduced by Charles Darwin in his groundbreaking 1859 book The Origin of Species[1] in which natural selection was described by analogy to artificial selection, a process by which animals with traits considered desirable by human breeders are systematically favored for reproduction.
He introduced the term, though there were quite a few who had previously written about essentially the same concept.

Still, science is a cooperative effort, and Darwin referenced his sources:

Quote:
There can be no doubt of Darwin's regard for Edward Blyth: in the first chapter of The Origin of Species he writes "...Mr Blyth, whose opinion, from his large and varied stores of knowledge, I should value more than that of almost any one..."[6]

Old 02-11-2008, 01:23 PM

245 posts, read 625,216 times
Quote:
no blyth publish huridly just before Darwin,and it was without foundation. and darwin had been slowly aclimating the scientific world for decades to the idea before he published.while they did colaberate you will see in the soon to be publshed coraspondence of Darwin it was darwin who gave blyth the idea. ed Blyth. 1810-1873 Darwin 1809-1882. and the first text we know of for breeding for traits is turkish for breeding horses

Last edited by steffan; 02-11-2008 at 01:45 PM..

Old 02-11-2008, 04:54 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,455,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystal-sea View Post
an apple fell to earth then and it falls to earth today. evolution was a wild guess then and still no monkeys are turning into people today. monkeys turning into people is what you get when people are desperate to wipe out any signs of God having started it all.

thank goodness in the beginning was God, because he's merciful enough to have created us inspite of knowing there would be many who would ignore, hate and blame him for every evil thing. you know how for every terrible thing men blame God, and for every good thing they credit luck. go figure.
Who said anything about monkeys turning into men? I suggest before you criticize a theory you learn more about it, unless of course, you're presuming another straw-man argument.

For your information:

Humans, Chimpanzees, Monkeys, Orangutans, etc... are all apes. We all have a common ancestor that was an apelike creature but we are not descendants of one another. Think of it this way:

A Chihuahua and Great Dane are both dogs and they are both descended of a wolf or wolf-like animal. Your argument is akin to saying that Chihuahua's are turning into Great Dane's or Great Dane's are turning into Chihuahua's. They're cousins. Just as we're cousins of monkeys, orangs, chimpanzees, etc...

Old 02-11-2008, 05:07 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,455,221 times
Quote:
The operative word is "Almost". And by almost they mean take pre-existing DNA and insert it into pre-existing DNA. So they can create life by starting with life. It sounds brilliant. I wish I could pass off as a great scientist by merely copying someone else's work. If this goes, I should have looked over the smart kid's sholder in bio class. It doesn't matter who you copy so long as people think your smart, right!
My point in posting that wasn't to show that a cell could arise from nothing, or anything close to that. My response was in regards to someone who questioned as to what extent we were at in terms of creating life in a lab. I responded and that was that.

Old 02-11-2008, 05:14 PM

5,160 posts, read 9,169,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystal-sea View Post

Wow. Just wow.

Learn what a theory is about before you criticize it. I bet you got educated on the theory of evolution by your pastor/minister or by Fox News (Hopefully, I won't have to explain that last statement.).

Old 02-11-2008, 08:17 PM

1,932 posts, read 4,791,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRiedl View Post
Just think of the damage that would be done to scientific progress if any research which didn't agree with a literal interpretation of a holy book was dismissed, ignored, or destroyed.

A great example is germ theory. People in ancient times used to explain disease by saying it was caused by demons. Now we know about bacteria, and through research into genetics and other fields we now have a fair understanding of how cancer works.
Gee... and it's amazing all the substantial work and advances pioneered in this field and microbiology by one Louis Pasteur... a biblical creationist.

Makes you wonder if the ToE is really necessary. After all, from my POV it's as much a myth and fairytale that *poof* one day eons ago, the first building blocks of chemicals "arranged" themselves to become a living organism as you see my beliefs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality