Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2014, 09:12 PM

5,563 posts, read 7,220,345 times

Advertisements

Medieval superstition: Marching back into the dark ages, Pope Francis has given his formal approval to the barbaric and ignorant practice of exorcism.

The Vatican newspaper L’Osservatore Romano reported Tuesday that the Vatican has formally recognized the International Association of Exorcists, a group of 250 priests in 30 countries who supposedly liberate the faithful from demons.

linky
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2014, 09:52 PM

20,064 posts, read 13,524,028 times
I just vomited pea soup and spoke in a basso profundo voice ... when can they come?

Old 07-03-2014, 10:21 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,936,505 times
Don't laugh. I was married to a Seventh Day Adventist who was learning from her pastor to do exorcisms on homeless people because it was the devil that made them alcoholics or drug addicts.

Why was I married to a SDA? She had left the church when I met her, but went back a year into our marriage. It lasted another year after that, but I could not put up with that crap.

When her friends came over, although they were nice people, it was really woo woo land.

And yet they allow people like that to vote.

Old 07-04-2014, 02:38 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,381,777 times
I guess since revenue streams are down it makes sense for any business to revive previously profitable products.

On the face of it the whole thing seems mad.

But when you look at his Church as a business with him as CEO..... his actions make perfect marketing sense.

Old 07-04-2014, 04:34 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,771,723 times
I checked for spoof, but this is apparently for real.
Reports of his acepting that all religions were valid and even atheists would get into heaven was a spoof but this is for real.

Pope Francis, originally touted as a Fresh forward looking view in the Vatican is just more of the same tendency to revert to medieval superstition.

Well, let's look at it positively. How many wabbling catholics will shake their heads and say 'That's it. I can no longer buy into this garbage'.

In the end, this is good news for irreligion.

Old 07-04-2014, 04:49 AM

17,825 posts, read 13,738,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Don't laugh. I was married to a Seventh Day Adventist who was learning from her pastor to do exorcisms on homeless people because it was the devil that made them alcoholics or drug addicts.

Why was I married to a SDA? She had left the church when I met her, but went back a year into our marriage. It lasted another year after that, but I could not put up with that crap.

When her friends came over, although they were nice people, it was really woo woo land.

And yet they allow people like that to vote.
To me it would be a drag to be SDA. YOU can't do anything on Friday nights and Saturdays, and then everybody else in the world is taking off Sundays. Kind of ruins the whole weekend.

But to keep from sidetracking the thread. I wonder if an SDA can perform an exorcism on the sabbath or is that considered "work."

Old 07-04-2014, 04:50 AM

5,177 posts, read 4,797,637 times
The Gospels report many instances of demonic possession. Exorcism was probably practice regularly during the middle ages. Today there seem to b no instances of demonic possession, but we do have schizophrenia!

And we have the means of treating schizophrenia, so the voices are quieted and the demons no longer exist. (Well, except on Coast to Coast)

It is long past time for Christians to rethink their medieval doctrines, and maybe move into a more modern understanding of God and the universe.

JMHO

Old 07-04-2014, 05:33 AM

3,483 posts, read 4,049,967 times
If you have the time, ask a priest what they think about exorcism. Their answer may surprise you, as the majority of them see it as superstitious rubbish as well. For many of them, and the people they help, it is the ritual that is important. The very same reason ritual has always been important to people.

I imagine the same goes for many exorcists around the world. If you observe such rituals (and I'm not limiting it to Christian exorcism alone), you might see it as a form of "sugar pill" for some, and a strange form of psychiatric help for others, and even a communal act that brings many people together to give someone their support through ritual. Such strange medicine has been shown to work at times, but not for major illnesses that the superstitious attribute to demons, of course.

If the priests that I have known received their training from the organization Seeker mentioned, then I would be interested if anyone here knows whether they take it seriously or not. I have fallen out of touch with the priests I knew, so I cannot ask them.

Old 07-04-2014, 05:59 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,771,723 times
Well now, do we have the old problem, Vatican not only being out of touch with their flock but with many of their own preachers?

Old 07-04-2014, 06:18 AM

23,175 posts, read 26,230,174 times
If an afflicted person has a psychosomatic disorder, it's possible an exorcism can 'drive the devil out of them'.
Just an extreme and overly dramatic kind of psychotherapy, so to speak.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality