Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2014, 09:53 PM

2,826 posts, read 2,368,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
"here eat this burger"
"No, thanks, I'm a Vegan, animal slaughter is not my thing"
"why do you have to be so in my face about it!!!"
lol "you can't handle the truth!"

So many people assume I am a Christian because I'm a good person, it sickens me that I can't bring it up without their prejudices immediately shutting me down and them thinking, "why didn't this person just keep such negativity to themselves." The only negativity is the vile propaganda from church pews. Even some of my more hedonistic atheist friends say I'm Buddhist... Umm no, I'm just more ethical because I have different focal desires then you: I care about truth and humanity.

I like this post.

I belong to my own religion (see the Pagan section). I put up with alot of crap, so people assume I'm Christian. By extension, they'll assume I'd be offended by this or the other. There's one rule only about offending me. I only get offended when people grossly offend my rights or personal space. If you wanna wreck your body, well, it's largely up to you. That doesn't mean I wouldn't get very concerned if my girlfriend was suicidal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2014, 07:35 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,604,899 times
You'll probably never meet an atheist. I see no need to question why, it's obviously for self protection on both sides.

People wonder why atheists don't feel comfortable or safe. One of the reasons people dislike atheists is because we don't fit in. We are not with the pack, we are alone and away from the crowd in a lot of situations in America. People would have to be very brave to want to hang with us under those conditions. Given how people feel about us, I understand it. We are pack animals and a loner signals danger to the group.

Back in the day, if a Jew was sitting in a bar full of German Americans who hated Jews and one said, any Jews in here? Do you think those Germans would meet any Jews in that bar? I'm thinking no, I doubt one Jew would put his hand up in this situation. Same goes with atheists. It's survival.

But, we are here, and one day I believe there will be more tolerance and understanding so that more atheists start admitting they are non believers. As science continues to save us, I think we will be more willing to accept humanity as a reason for being kind, loving and trustworthy. Then we can let go of that myth that atheists aren't moral or kind.

Old 07-20-2014, 08:02 PM

6,324 posts, read 4,323,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
You know what else is weird? If there's more than one atheist, people don't add the last "s" on. They do the same thing with terrorist and other words ending in "ist" when it's meant to be plural. Watch for that on City-Data and it will amaze you how often you see it. It's as if it's just too big an effort to type another"s".
Here's a question for you then. When using the word "atheist" as an adjective, is it "atheist" or "atheistic?"

Because I know a lot of atheist who aren't really sure.

Old 07-20-2014, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
Here's a question for you then. When using the word "atheist" as an adjective, is it "atheist" or "atheistic?"

Because I know a lot of atheist who aren't really sure.
LOL, I just used "atheistic" on Mystics thread.

Old 07-20-2014, 08:22 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
Atheistic or atheistical. I just looked it up in my very heavy Oxford American dictionary. This free public service was brought to you by....

a Christian

Last edited by DewDropInn; 07-20-2014 at 08:31 PM..

Old 07-20-2014, 08:26 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,860,632 times
I don't mind other religion as long as they keep It to themselves and they don't preach it.

Old 07-20-2014, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Atheistic or atheistical. I just looked it up in my very heavy Oxford American dictionary. This free public service was brought to you by....

a Christian
Thanks DewDrop!! You are one of my favorite Christians!

Old 07-20-2014, 10:21 PM

63,814 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
Thanks DewDrop!! You are one of my favorite Christians!
Now you are just making me jealous, poppy! . . . (j/k Dew)

Old 07-21-2014, 11:49 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Now you are just making me jealous, poppy! . . . (j/k Dew)
Actually, each of us is a free thinker. (I don't limit that term to atheists.) And there's lots of room on board the yellow submarine.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 07-21-2014 at 12:33 PM..

Old 07-21-2014, 09:13 PM

135 posts, read 128,085 times
What's surprising to me is the small difference between the top and bottom in the general population results. It only varies about 20%. Now the results of dems and republicans looks a little more like what I expected.

It's always an eye opener for me because where I live in Canada I don't see much distain at all for atheists. In fact it only comes up if someone brings up their belief in God first. It honestly seems like more than 50% of the people in the age bracket I mostly communicate with (24-40) are atheists. The number of religous signs and "God bless you" I receive whenever I take trip south always takes a few days to get use to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality