Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2014, 10:22 AM

27,575 posts, read 28,673,621 times

Advertisements

This event has really struck a nerve with me ever since it has been in the news. I cannot fathom the killing of hundreds of innocent civilians of different nationalities, including scores of children and infants, by a single "mistaken" missile. What a big oopsie.

Let's discuss this from whatever religious faith perspective (or the lack thereof) that you come from. Assuming that God exists, where is his justice in this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2014, 10:30 AM

3,859 posts, read 3,047,683 times
Religious perspective has absolutely NOTHING to do with this.

You sound like an atheist asking an idiotic question.

Old 07-22-2014, 10:44 AM

1,553 posts, read 925,394 times
Many of the victims of this horrific tragedy probably prayed to some god for a safe trip as they departed from the airport in Amsterdam...........................

Old 07-22-2014, 11:11 AM

135 posts, read 128,107 times
I agree that it's a stretch to bring religion into this. If you're asking how it can be justified then the answer is probably that God is mysterious and we just can't possibly fathom how he works. You can't blame God for this though, you can only give credit for positive things. At least that's what I expect from some theist's stand point. As an atheist it just can't be justified and it's a terrible tragedy. Not much more to it.

If you're looking to relate a current tragedy to religion then I would think the situation in Gaza or Iraq would fit the topic.

Last edited by Nosmas; 07-22-2014 at 11:23 AM..

Old 07-22-2014, 11:27 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,972,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
This event has really struck a nerve with me ever since it has been in the news. I cannot fathom the killing of hundreds of innocent civilians of different nationalities, including scores of children and infants, by a single "mistaken" missile. What a big oopsie.

Let's discuss this from whatever religious faith perspective (or the lack thereof) that you come from. Assuming that God exists, where is his justice in this?
If this happened outside of God's control, without His knowledge, then He is not God in the greatest sense of the word.

If it did happen under God's control, not that He specifically PERSONALLY pulled the trigger to bring down the jet but that He uses intermediaries to carry about His will and intent, then He will work it all together for good even if some can't see that is so at this point in time.

Everyone's days are marked. I might die before I hit the "Submit Reply" button. But the wonderful thing is that one day God is going to resurrect all those people, give them immortality and incorruption, save them from sin and death and be All in all.

Old 07-22-2014, 11:34 AM

135 posts, read 128,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
If this happened outside of God's control, without His knowledge, then He is not God in the greatest sense of the word.

If it did happen under God's control, not that He specifically PERSONALLY pulled the trigger to bring down the jet but that He uses intermediaries to carry about His will and intent, then He will work it all together for good even if some can't see that is so at this point in time.
It took exactly one post for my prediction to become true.

Quote:
Everyone's days are marked. I might die before I hit the "Submit Reply" button. But the wonderful thing is that one day God is going to resurrect all those people, give them immortality and incorruption, save them from sin and death and be All in all.
So you think all of the people who died will be in a better place eventually? None will be punished or will be worse off? Just curious as to what exactly you mean

Old 07-22-2014, 11:51 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,972,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosmas View Post
It took exactly one post for my prediction to become true.

So you think all of the people who died will be in a better place eventually? None will be punished or will be worse off? Just curious as to what exactly you mean
They will all be corrected as to all the vicissitudes in life they experienced and their actions. But that will be a good thing to get all that behind them.

"God will have all mankind to be saved . . . for Christ gave Himself a ransom for all. To be testified to in due time" (1 Timothy 2:4-6).

Old 07-22-2014, 11:56 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,195,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post

This life is a drop in the bucket of eternity. While we may weep for them....fact of the matter is, 2000 years from now is our petty lifespan going to matter? I hope to live 90+ years....but in the view of eternity, I can die tomorrow and it's going to be inconsequential to eternity.

Old 07-22-2014, 11:57 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,195,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
They will all be corrected as to all the vicissitudes in life they experienced and their actions. But that will be a good thing to get all that behind them.

"God will have all mankind to be saved . . . for Christ gave Himself a ransom for all. To be testified to in due time" (1 Timothy 2:4-6).
Of course, when you read it in context, it says only those that know Christ will be saved.

Old 07-22-2014, 12:18 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
This life is a drop in the bucket of eternity. While we may weep for them....fact of the matter is, 2000 years from now is our petty lifespan going to matter? I hope to live 90+ years....but in the view of eternity, I can die tomorrow and it's going to be inconsequential to eternity.
A group of top AIDS researchers was on that plane. They were people who dedicated their lives to finding a cure. One or more of them could have been the Salk of our times and brought an end to the suffering and devastation AIDS has caused.

THEIR lives mattered. Their lives mattered very much.

I think every.single.life on that plane mattered. The people who were killed were much-loved sisters and sons and friends and co-workers and I cannot imagine what was in the hearts of the people who chose to bring that plane down. Nothing good.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 07-22-2014 at 12:27 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality